There are spies among us - CND Navy Intelligence gives info to Russia.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/10/ns-delisle-spy-hearing.html

Canadian Forces Sub-Lt. Jeffrey Paul Delisle walked into the Russian Embassy in Ottawa in 2007 and offered to sell secrets to that country's military intelligence agency, beginning an espionage career that lasted almost four years, according to court material published by CBC News after the naval officer pleaded guilty to spying today.

Delisle, 41, pleaded guilty in a Halifax court Wednesday to breach of trust and two counts of passing information to a foreign entity between July 2007 and Jan. 13, 2011, in Ottawa and Kingston, Ont., and Halifax and Bedford, N.S., where he lived.

Jeffrey Delisle: What's known about the naval officer turned spy

According to previously unpublished material from a bail hearing, Delisle walked into the embassy wearing a red ball cap and civilian clothes. He flashed his Canadian military identification and asked to meet with someone from GRU, the Russian military intelligence.

Delisle was posted to the security unit HMCS Trinity, an intelligence facility at the naval dockyard in Halifax. It tracks vessels entering and exiting Canadian waters via satellites, drones and underwater devices

I guess it happens, but how much damage has been done and how much information do the Russians have on the Navy and their movements.

Seems like a big deal.

I guess it happens, but how much damage has been done and how much information do the Russians have on the Navy and their movements.

Seems like a big deal.

I hate to sound cynical but our Navy doesn't move all that much! Frigates sit in port for lack of fuel and sufficient crew. We don't really have much in resources to be much of an espionage target. It bothers our pride to admit this but it's the truth!

We're like the Scottish uncle who pretends he gives more than he does, telling us to "Come in! Warm yourself by this roaring candle!"

However, the traitor's position may have granted him access to info on our NATO allies, particularly Uncle Sam and Great Britain.

Which certainly won't help to improve their confidence in us!

I hate to sound cynical but our Navy doesn't move all that much! Frigates sit in port for lack of fuel and sufficient crew. We don't really have much in resources to be much of an espionage target. It bothers our pride to admit this but it's the truth!

We're like the Scottish uncle who pretends he gives more than he does, telling us to "Come in! Warm yourself by this roaring candle!"

However, the traitor's position may have granted him access to info on our NATO allies, particularly Uncle Sam and Great Britain.

Then they know more about our inability to protect waters. I guess that information is valuable to them as well.

I hate to sound cynical but our Navy doesn't move all that much!

That would be incorrect. You just don't hear about everything that goes on. Canada has one of the largest and most active combatant fleets in the world.

Edited by Smallc

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...py-hearing.html

Seems like a big deal.

COMRADE I WILL HAVE TO CALL THE KREMLIN TO SEE, BUT THE LINE FROM MY IGLOO ISN'T IN YET AFTER THE TUNDRA GOT BOGGED DOWN AND THEY STOPPED THE PROJECT FROM IGLOOLIK. I MAY HAVE TO GO TO OUR SOVIET AIRPORT OUT THE BACK OF IGLOOLIK TO CATCH ONE OF THEM TROOP TRANSPORTS THAT IS BEING UNLOADED EVERY 20 MINUTES, JUST HOLD ON A BIT AND I WILL BE BACK TO ANSWER THE QUESTION.

WELL ALCOHOLS NOT ANY CHEAPER.. THEY COULDN'T HAVE WON.

MAYBE JEFF JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT THEY COULD MAKE OF THE DATA

(russians reply a few week later,, i fear the canadians are trying to raise the price of oil and steal camels. but comrade that is our objective too. But they only do the first with their ships the second with their russian women... good one comrade good one, heigh! *russians dance away

look what we have acomplished with the splines, recursives and dithers

Edited by login

The Russians weren't terribly concerned with the Canadian Navy. They were more concerned with intelligence the anglo world has been gathering on the Russians themselves. From what's been disclosed, it seems like quite a bit of intelligence (American, British, Australian etc) was leaked to the Russians, which is a catastrophic breach in terms of how it affects our reputation with our allies. Unless we can somehow ensure them that this was a freak occurence, the Americans are going to treat us like incompetents and won't share any of their intelligence with us.

This clown needs to be made an example of. $3000 a month to betray your country and cause possibly immeasurable damage is enough for a bullet in the head in most other parts of the world. At best, this guy should be locked up for life with a bunch of 'bears' somewhere nasty.

Northwest Passage and arctic sovereignty are probably a big deal to some people.

I too am proud of Steve Harper, in 2009, announcing that "ships entering the northwest passage should first report to the Canadian government".

We do NOT need these treasonous dogs eroding years of hard work in our sovereign territory.

Unless we can somehow ensure them that this was a freak occurence, the Americans are going to treat us like incompetents and won't share any of their intelligence with us.

The Americans had wikileaks, I don't think they have much ground to complain about, not that this is a small deal since this traitor had access to information on the naval activities, movement and potentially strategy of the United States, United Kingdom, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand navies.

Northwest Passage and arctic sovereignty are probably a big deal to some people.

Okay, the Russians can see the Passage and are aware that we spout words about arctic soverignity.

Now what?

They could follow any Canadian newspaper and know that we have no year-round icebreaker capacity, no arctic bases and of our 12 frigates, only 6 are at sea at any given time because we only have the budget to fuel half the total fleet and besides, we only have enough sailors to crew that many anyway.

Perhaps you know of a few nuclear powered subs or icebreakers that we have been hiding. Maybe there are some secret aircraft carriers somewhere.

I dunno. You tell me!

Guest Derek L

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...py-hearing.html

Seems like a big deal.

It depends what he had access to…….It could be something as simple as (like mentioned in the article) naval & commercial maritime traffic, which would be only slightly more informative (destinations, ports of call and ETAs of the Navy) then what one could find in the local papers……….Or it could be as extensive as the locations, movements and operating routines of American ballistic missile subs etc…….Of which, Wikileaks would pale in comparison, and to say the Americans would be perturbed is an understatement.

My assumption, based on his (lower) rank is that he’d be in a position (relatively speaking) of lesser importance (Security and movements of DND assets at home and abroad) as opposed to actual military intelligence (Ways, Means and Intentions AKA James Bond crap)

As for his income……..John Walker sold out the USN’s sonar and communications secrets, for several decades, for less then half a million………

Guest Derek L

As alluded to by others, a lot of information that could be obtained through Canadian sources, isn’t directly Canadian but American….i.e. NORAD/BMD and the US strategic nuclear arsenal.

Guest Derek L

The Russians weren't terribly concerned with the Canadian Navy. They were more concerned with intelligence the anglo world has been gathering on the Russians themselves. From what's been disclosed, it seems like quite a bit of intelligence (American, British, Australian etc) was leaked to the Russians, which is a catastrophic breach in terms of how it affects our reputation with our allies. Unless we can somehow ensure them that this was a freak occurence, the Americans are going to treat us like incompetents and won't share any of their intelligence with us.

This clown needs to be made an example of. $3000 a month to betray your country and cause possibly immeasurable damage is enough for a bullet in the head in most other parts of the world. At best, this guy should be locked up for life with a bunch of 'bears' somewhere nasty.

From what was mentioned in the article & MSM, as I said above, based on his rank and posting to HMCS Trinity (As opposed to say Ottawa and other places), I’d doubt he ever had access to that level of intelligence.

Guest Derek L

The Russians have forgot more about the "Northwest Passage and arctic sovereignty" then we've ever known.

They could follow any Canadian newspaper and know that we have no year-round icebreaker capacity,

Like everyone but Russia

no arctic bases

Not true, there are two.

and of our 12 frigates, only 6 are at sea at any given time

Depends on the circumstances. Right now, the fleet is going through a massive refit, and there aren't that many available.

because we only have the budget to fuel half the total fleet and besides, we only have enough sailors to crew that many anyway.

The crew part is untrue (though there is a shortage), and fuel and operating budgets are allocated not only for general operations (what you're talking about) but also for specific operations. If you think though that other countries other than perhaps the United States do things any differently in that regard, well, you're wrong.

The problem for the RCN has been a lack of capital investment over the last 15 years. That seems to be changing with the FELEX program, and the upcoming building projects.

Edited by Smallc

Pretty clear that maybe it's time to change the misleading subject/title of this original post. It was NOT the CDN navy that gave the info. Can we please be clear and honest in these postings. ..... Canada and it's navy had now involvement. A "spy" did.

Shame on the left for such a portrayal

The Russians weren't terribly concerned with the Canadian Navy. They were more concerned with intelligence the anglo world has been gathering on the Russians themselves.

Embassy should have asked him to search Ruskies instead of russia than....

$3000 a month to betray your country and cause possibly immeasurable damage is enough for a bullet in the head in most other parts of the world.

He'd probably move to Russia on that salary after being in the forces for 4 years (bad joke)

Although its not bad looking at the scaling...

http://www.forces.ca...ficersregular-1

the pump nearly made him a Major though.. .. and international relations ...

if canada was smart they would have taken pictures of his kids then worked him as a double agent for when it mattered (more)... but I geuss it was too late after he was found out... you know see what intel they could get on Russias spy activities.

It just plays as a government funded "spooky bedtime story"

Edited by login