Same sex adoption-good?bad?

Mr.Canada

Is same sex adoption morally justified? I admit I have no experience with this obviously but am curious to know if any children have grown up in this scenario. It's a new concept to perhaps it's too early to tell.

I wonder if the child is going to grow up gay because of their parents. I don't mean to sound callous. With the flamboyant gay lifestyle around all the time and the cocktail parties all the time would the child grow up wanting to live a colourful lifestyle as well? I ask this because children often mimic the behaviour of their parents. Plus being dragged to the pride parade every year with all the penis pinching and public sex acts going on. Wouldn't this influence the child.

I can see some positives though as they would probably grow up having respect for different aspects of our society. I know that I grew up making fun of gay people and to spare a child from that is probably a good thing. Plus I think a child growing up in a gay household is better then then being sexually abused in foster care. At least they would presumably be well loved and cared for.

I know that the gay lifestyle is a promiscuous one but I guess some gays are monogamous, they must be. I have less of a problem with 2 women adopting then 2 men for whatever reason. I think that women are more nurturing but then again some gay men are almost like women so maybe they're nurturing too.

If anyone has knowledge of this please post. There isn't much info about it around so I'm interested to understand it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is adoption by those who drink alcohol morally justified? I admit I have no experience with this obviously, but am curious to know if any children have grown up in this scenario. It's an old concept so perhaps we can easily tell.

I wonder if the child is going to grow up to drink alcohol because of their parents. I don't mean to sound callous. With the flamboyant alcohol-drinking lifestyle around all the time and the cocktail parties all the time, would the child grow up wanting to live an alcohol-drinking lifestyle as well? I ask this because children often mimic the behaviour of their parents. Plus being dragged to bars with all the penis pinching and public sex acts going on. Wouldn't this influence the child?

I can see some positives though, as they would probably grow up having respect for different aspects of our society. I know that I grew up making fun of the children of alcoholics, and to spare a child from that is probably a good thing. Plus I think a child growing up in a alcoholic household is better then then being sexually abused in foster care. At least they would presumably be ...fed.

I know that the alcohol-drinking lifestyle is a promiscuous one, but I guess some alcohol-drinkers are monogamous. They must be. I have less of a problem with beer-drinkers adopting than whiskey-drinkers for whatever reason. I think that beer-drinkers are more nicer drunks, but then again some whiskey-drinkers are almost like beer-drinkers, so maybe they're friendly drunks too.

If anyone has knowledge of this, please post. There isn't much info about it around, so I'm interested to understand it.

Is adoption by those who follow a religion morally justified? I admit I have no experience with this obviously, but am curious to know if any children have grown up in this scenario. It's an old concept so perhaps we can easily tell.

Edited by BubberMiley

With the flamboyant gay lifestyle around all the time and the cocktail parties all the time would the child grow up wanting to live a colourful lifestyle as well?

:rolleyes:

Homosexual adoption is new. So if you're going to just make fun of me just don't bother wasting your time trolling.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Please add something worthwhile to the conversation please. If you have experience or information about this new concept please share with me I am having a hard time find info on the net. You live in the middle of nowhere so I doubt you have any exposure to this but you never know i guess.

Edited by Mr.Canada

A lot of countries are now adding homosexual adoption recently and in some countries homosexuality is illegal altogether. I find this interesting. In Israel gay bars Jews and Arabs are often in the same bar and are accepting of each other. Homosexual adoption is legal in Israel while illegal in Palestine. No info on how the family unit functions yet though.

Adoption by people who drink should only be used as a last resort if a non-drinking couple can't be found to adopt.

If by drink, you mean alcoholics, I definitely agree with you. However, I don't think anyone like that would make it very far along in the adoption process.

The main study (at least as far as I know) was by Farr, Forssell and Patterson (2010, Applied Developmental Science 14(3), 164-178). Their findings based on comparing 106 families (27 lesbian, 29 gay, and 50 heterosexual) who had adopted young children, were that there were no significant differences. Proper controls were used in selection and data collection to avoid bias. From the paper:

"Our findings revealed, for the first time, that young children adopted early in life by lesbian and gay parents were as well-adjusted as those adopted by heterosexual parents. Our results suggest that lesbian and gay adults can and do make capable adoptive parents. We found no significant differences among families headed by lesbian, gay, or heterosexual parents in terms of child adjustment, parenting behaviors, or couples’ adjustment. In addition, reports of children’s outside caregivers were consistent with those of parents. It is important to note in particular that gay fathers and their children appeared to be faring as well as were lesbian and heterosexual parents and their children."

In Israel gay bars Jews and Arabs are often in the same bar and are accepting of each other.

So basically, what you're saying is that we need more same-sex adoption and a lot of um, cock...tail parties and voila.

Peace in the Middle-East!

Edited by BC_chick

I take it the OP doesn’t get out much…………….Financially, my youngest sister and her wife, both working professionals in their early 40s & late 30s, are better prepared to take care of my (adopted) nephew than most young couples in Canada today………..Morally? Anything one can direct to towards gays/lesbians can quite easily be directed towards heterosexuals (ie promiscuity, drugs, alcohol etc)……..

No one in our family seems too concerned with the little fellow catching the “gay”……… :rolleyes:

Edited by Derek L

Ok so that's another no to experience or knowledge of homosexual adoption. Thanks for coming out.

In case you have not heard,people whom have chosen an alternative lifestyle are entitled to the same rights as anyone else.

You obviously do not feel that they are.

Better question is why have the admin. not shut down your thread yet?

WWWTT

Same-sex adoption should only be used as a last resort. If a heterosexual couple can't be found to adopt.

If you are not able to find a female partner Shady,would you consider a homosexual relationship?That is if you are not already homosexual?

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

I take it the OP doesn’t get out much…………….Financially, my youngest sister and her wife, both working professionals in their early 40s & late 30s, are better prepared to take care of my (adopted) nephew than most young couples in Canada today………..Morally? Anything one can direct to towards gays/lesbians can quite easily be directed towards heterosexuals (ie promiscuity, drugs, alcohol etc)……..

You raise good points, and add to that, not a small number of divorced people have roommates of the same sex, or family members of the same sex living with them/helping them raise the children, as many others do it on their own, without a different gender partner - so I don't know what the difference ultimately is to the Mr. Canada's of the world.

No one in our family seems too concerned with the little fellow catching the “gay”……… :rolleyes:

Since by far most gay people were born and raised by straight couples, one has to wonder where such a ludicrous mindset comes from.

You raise good points, and add to that, not a small number of divorced people have roommates of the same sex, or family members of the same sex living with them/helping them raise the children, as many others do it on their own, without a different gender partner - so I don't know what the difference ultimately is to the Mr. Canada's of the world.

Exactly……….My nephew, born with a touch of FAS, birth parents didn’t so much as give him up, but had him taken away………Clearly he’ll have a better childhood in a household where both parents provide him everything he needs, and damn near everything he wants……….The whole idea about homo vs. heterosexual parents is simply based on ignorance, as clearly you can have good and bad parents from any race, color, creed or sexual preference……..

Since by far most gay people were born and raised by straight couples, one has to wonder where such a ludicrous mindset comes from.

Someone took a piss in his gene pool?

Same sex adoption-good?bad?

None of my business is what it is.

It's not like they are short on children looking to get adopted.

I do find it odd that conservative types don't want anyone involved in their "law abiding" business... yet these same people believe they should be involved in EVERYONE else's "law abiding" business.

I wonder if the child is going to grow up gay because of their parents. I don't mean to sound callous. With the flamboyant gay lifestyle around all the time and the cocktail parties all the time would the child grow up wanting to live a colourful lifestyle as well?

Good grief. Not all people in a same-sex couple identify as gay, and not all people who identify as gay flit around cocktail parties and art openings. Conversely, not all people in an opposite-sex couple identify as straight, and not all people who identify as straight go to monster truck rallies and Hooters.

Homosexuals have only been permitted to adopt for about 14 years in Canada. That isn't a long time which is why I am wondering if anyone knows homosexuals who have adopted and how their child/children are coping and adjusting to the alternative lifestyle of their "parents". Why should be shy away subjects such as these? Because it makes people uncomfortable?

I disagree, it certainly is our business as a society of how people are raising their children. Michael Hardner and a bunch of others have made that clear in the thread about public school tolerance and that the community has a say in how people raise their children.

So far no one has any experience with this or knows anyone who has done this just hot air blowing around at this point. Some people are providing some useful studies though and that is wonderful and exactly what we need. Some hard data. Maybe in a few more years we'll have some numbers on the percentage of homosexuals coming from gay vs straight parented families. it doesn't mean anything but would be interesting to find out if their is any sizable difference or not either way.

I have nothing against gay people at all but I'm on the fence as to whether it's appropriate for gays to be raising children. Given what I've seen taking place at Pride and at the Second Cup in the Village downtown. Some have mentioned that not all gays are flamboyant and attend cocktail parties which may or may not be true.

Often times homosexuals are a little fancier then the rest of us but I have seen some bull queers at the Pride event. They were well built and had full beards. I also noticed that these big gays were the ones I saw having their penises pinched by the smaller, less built gays. More womanly if you will.

Getting back on topic, not everything is good for everyone. Does the criteria rule out adopting to people who are hard core partiers and/or cocktail party goers? I have no experience with adoption, obviously.

I don't need to be attacked. I'm not taking any position one way or the other. I am simply asking the question. I haven't made up my mind yet.