Muslims in Toronto demand end to freedom of speech and expression.

kraychik

In that sense, perhaps. But, there was more to immigration back then; in order to have the better life each desired, there had to be built a framework within which it could grow. Common language, law, and order was needed, and commerce. These things required governments, regulators, and traditions, which, not too ironically, ended up looking essentially the same as the same systems back in the home country.

I think there's still a desire on the part of some immigrants to do the same; there are certainly people who come here and start to recreate some of what they left behind, ranging from social groups to legal systems. It's obviously hard to say how many want how much, though.

[ed.: sp]

People who come to Canada need to embrace the Canadian system not try to change it. If they aren't happy here they can go someplace else.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who come to Canada need to embrace the Canadian system not try to change it.

People coming to Canada always have and always will change the system. It just needs to be allowed to happen organically; people should not try to force incompatible concepts or practices onto the existing order.

[ed.: sp (what is with my butterfingers tonight?)]

Edited by g_bambino

People coming to Canada always have and always will change the system. It just needs to be allowed to happen organically; people should not try to force incompatible concepts or practices onto the existing order.

[ed.: sp (what is with my butterfingers tonight?)]

Finally something reasonable. So you are against Sharia Law or do you support it in Canada?

The question is whether we can have religious arbitration while protecting the fundamental rights of individuals, namely women and children? It's not Sharia Law in its entirety that's the problem people want addressed. It's human rights abuse that people are concerned about.

Sure, and I agree with all of this but the bigger problem is sloganeering and the dumbing down of every debate by people who refuse to discuss things with any grace or subtlety.

Let's stop that.

I'm not really sure why you're responding to me with this. I agree with you. I was giving a concrete example.

That really is just a slogan - Sharia Law isn't the issue... It's about accommodating religious arbitration.

That's how the issue is pitched. The reality is that participation in arbitration is consensual, even if the consent is given pre-dispute. The problem with Sharia is that "consent" is inferred from "birth". And yes, I feel the same way about quasi-compulsory Bet Dins.

I'm not really sure why you're responding to me with this. I agree with you. I was giving a concrete example.

Well, maybe I can convince you - not to change your mind - but to see the issue from a different angle.

This issue, when it's discussed on here, is brought up as part of the international zionis... sorry I mean Muslim conspiracy. It's as ridiculous as any conspiracy theory, even if you agree that religious laws should be kept out of the justice system.

That's how the issue is pitched. The reality is that participation in arbitration is consensual, even if the consent is given pre-dispute. The problem with Sharia is that "consent" is inferred from "birth". And yes, I feel the same way about quasi-compulsory Bet Dins.

Agreement. Children enter a particular religion at birth. I believe Dawkins termed it 'child abuse'. Also, who determines who is Muslim enough to be judged by such a system. One's father? The government? It's a slippery slope.

Well, maybe I can convince you - not to change your mind - but to see the issue from a different angle.

This issue, when it's discussed on here, is brought up as part of the international zionis... sorry I mean Muslim conspiracy. It's as ridiculous as any conspiracy theory, even if you agree that religious laws should be kept out of the justice system.

I'm very confused by your responses to me right now. I think maybe I weighed in on a line of thought, not recognizing where it was going, and you're inferring something from my posts that I hadn't intended. In any case, I'm really not sure why you're directing this at me.

So Sharia should have its "own system" within Canada? Is that what you would like? To appease those who come here with strong apposing views of western civilization?

Whom aren't aloud to speak? Nice one.....

Sharia law is like anything else to do with religion. It depends on the interpretation.

I think we should leave it up to Muslim women. If they want it, sure.

So Sharia should have its "own system" within Canada?

Is that what you would like? To appease those who come here with strong apposing views of western civilization?

No, I would love that clearly.

All Canadians should be forced to submit to Muslim law in its entirety. It should be very clear that that is what I'm demanding from my post.

:huh:

Sharia law? I'm getting sick of hearing of a system that condones "honour" killings of one's wife and daughters and that thinks a female who has not been married and bedded by the time she has her first period is a fusty old maid. Anyone who suggests Sharia law should be on the next scow outta here.

Sharia law? I'm getting sick of hearing of a system that condones "honour" killings of one's wife and daughters and that thinks a female who has not been married and bedded by the time she has her first period is a fusty old maid.

It's usually brought up by people who are against it, like you are. At least on this board.

Anyone who suggests Sharia law should be on the next scow outta here.

This one's for Cybercoma - see what I mean now ? It's now officially impossible to advocate for the separation of church and state unless you spin it as an anti-Muslim thing. BTW, they say a prayer before the NASCAR races that ends with "Praise Jesus Christ. Shalom." thereby insulting all three "great" religions.

Whom aren't aloud to speak? Nice one.....

They are in Canada. I seem to remember Muslim women were very outspoken against Sharia law being allowed in Ontario under McGuinty, and were instrumental in his decision not to allow it.