Do you people have any political ambitions?

I want to be Premier of Ontario in about 20-25 years. When I get out of univeristy, I will work in biotechnology until I'm 28-32. When I'm that age, I will run in a Progressive Conservative nomination race. When I win it, I will hopefully win the riding in the election. My riding is a Conservative one. If there is a leadership race shortly after, I will help the winning candidate and hopefully get a shadow or real cabinet post. After say 5-8 years of cabinet work, I will run in the leadership race and win.

When I'm Premier, there will be good times and good economy.

Surprised you have not received more responses to this question BBM. Perhaps the question could be amended by also asking why people don't have political ambitions.

I have no political ambitions because I think that we treat our politicians very poorly (for good reasons much of the time it seems). I have a few friends at various levels of government and would not want any of their jobs even with hefty pay raises. I blame the media but I also think you need the right personality.

Guest eureka

I have always been aploitical, officially. That has enabled me to criticise and frustrate politicians of all stropesmany times over the years. I find that a moe useful role for any who actually want some progress.

So BBM watch yourself or I may come after you. It is much more fun that way, too.

I think if I had political aspirations, it would be to become a media smart-ass. That way I would get to express my opinions in a public forum, but not be accountable to anybody. Maybe I could be a sharp-witted observer like Jon Stewart. Or maybe I could head a cult of personality and have lots of frenzied groupies who would go out and do my bidding, like Ann Coulter. Of course, leading an actual cult might be a possibility too. Especially if I could qualify as a religious institution and receive tax exemptions! :D

At any rate, I don't find the prospect of political life in Canada to be very exciting. Work hard to achieve qualifications that voters will decide make you fit to represent them... and go to Ottawa... to sit on a back bench and keep your mouth shut. No, I think that by the time in my life that I've achieved the kind of qualifications I think an MP should have, I will have other goals that I'm more interested in pursuing. I don't believe in Canada's political party system. I do think they're probably cliques on the inside... where even when you're in, you're not really in unless you've got the right friends, been around for long enough, kissed all the right butts, made the right alliances and contacts, and "played the game". Maybe idealists would like to think that if you come to the table with the energy and abilities and ideas, you'll be rewarded. I personally think that it would be more like that TV show "Survivor", where if you don't play the game with enough cunning, you can't win.

-kimmy

Actors and actresses simply have big egos. Politicians have big egos and ambition. Lots and lots of ambition.

What's the gain? The sensation that you are standing at the centre of the universe. And maybe getting to order from room service. But then not eating it because you're too busy.

Politician? I've always thought of Ramses II. He had his cartouche put under every single column of every temple built during his reign. Now there's a politician!

PS. To be a politician now, it helps if you are tall, big headed and have a full head of hair (unless your name starts with C). Here's a link about US President characteristics.

My ambition is to make money, but not blood money, then if i can retire while im young, work for pleisure where i want and when i want. Politics is one thing i would like to do (in quebec only).

What i would like is to do is the first transparent government of the world where evrything about the government would be 100% accessible except the army where we would only see the amount given. Their would be a public bank like building where the money of quebec would be held and when the government make a decision and need money, they ask the bank to do it. Since the bank would be independant, and that all its record could be seen on the internet, if their is 1 person who seems suspicious, then it will be easy to verify. It look like an uthopic thing but i think it could work pretty well.

What i would like to do if i would go in politics would be purely for democracy. No left or right politics or federalist vs sovregnist knid of thing. Just make the government more democratic, then whatever the goverment is interventionist or conservative, i don't care because at the end we will be able to observe the bad and good move of the government and if we don't like then we change of government.

No.

I'm much to smart for any political party.

If you are that smart, go and fix our problems.

Maybe you are concerned that no one else will believe you to be as smart as you claim.

Hey I know I am not as smart as I think I am.

I know what I know and I know what I don't know.

I know that I know that I got an ice cubes chance in Brian Mulroney's butthole that I can ever make a difference.

I'm impatient, short tempered and intolerant of stupidity.

I'm also rather vengeful.

Maybe I could have made it in the 1800's, but these days, a politician has to be either a 'principled' (read: fanatical idealogue) or a waffler (read: a Liberal) to make it.

There just isn't any room for somebody like myself who is a fervent centre of centrist. Everything in moderation. Don't let idealogy cloud your judgement.

And worse, most people in the Centre arn't pationate about anything.

So meh.

I'm just much to smart for any political party.

Guest eureka

Just to add to August's post!

Politicians also share with actors a great sense of insecurity. They need constant reinfocement and public acclaim. They are nowhere if they are not in the public eye.

The leaders amongst them also are macho types. They must have the feeling of power or they will find other outlets. That is a characteristic of leaders in any field, I would think but, allied to the other, it makes a political leader.

Nobody's perfect with their spelling. I usually have spelling mistakes. I want to go into politics becausze I admire so many politicans. I want to be just like them.

I can't really say I admire a lot of politicians aside from the fact that they had the guts to run for office. I, like TN am rather impatient with a lot of things and I doubt I would be able to keep my mouth shut in public. I would just end up calling someone an idiot in public and get my butt in hot water. I think I would much rather be the guy that keeps things under control from behind the scenes. Sort of like a consultant and behind the scenes butt kicker.

There's no point of being in any back room in Canadian politics.

Power is so centralized in the hands of so few (4 or 5 in each party) that the chances of ever having a chance at influence, little though actual influence, is very, very slight.

I think that if things change and the legislatures matter again, and if ever bothered to run, and win, I might rise to the stature of prominent backbencher and eventually the 'fixer'...the type of guy that is made minister of a department to decimate the resistance inside the civil service, and then take my place in the backbenches again.

But how often does a premier, or a legislature, want anything really fixed...for real.

I just couldn't be a minister, or somebody totally without a voice, in the legislature the way it is today.

It's bad enough to be irrelevant right now.

It would be far worse to be so close to mattering, and not.