Romney wants a federal constitutional ban on gay marriage

Put it this way: point out that the American system is superior to ours...and she will not argue with you! :)

Hopefully that spells out roughly where your ignorance lays.

Well, the funny thing is, I feel the same way about Canadians who can't have a reasonable conversation about our system either.

Guest American Woman

Care to elaborate? What am I ignorant of, exactly?

For starters, you're obviously completely ignorant as to why I oppose "ObamaCare." But don't let that stop you from making your ignorant personal judgments - you and your ilk never do. Secondly, you obviously are rather clueless as to what"ObmabCare" will provide to the majority of the millions of Americans who are without medical insurance.

Edited by American Woman

For starters, you're obviously completely ignorant as to why I oppose "ObamaCare." But don't let that stop you from making your ignorant personal judgments - you and your ilk never do.

Oh I see: you were under the impression I was talking about you even though I didn't quote you or mention you by name.

Moron.

Edited by Black Dog

I happen to feel that Obama is stepping on people's rights with his health care bill...
In case you're truly unaware of it, most Americans already have the right to buy medical insurance, from insurance companies, at the prices the insurance companies set; and the poor already get health care at the expense of the government.
For starters, you're obviously completely ignorant as to why I oppose "ObamaCare." But don't let that stop you from making your ignorant personal judgments - you and your ilk never do. Secondly, you obviously are rather clueless as to what"ObmabCare" will provide to the majority of the millions of Americans who are without medical insurance.

clearly, you're not prepared, likely unable, to qualify your so-called opposition to the Obama Affordable Care Act. With heightened non-specificity and a lack of any substantiation, you claim a, "stepping on people's rights"... you presume to suggest there were no concerns over uninsured in the United States - simple... just buy health insurance, or if poor, you'll get it from the U.S. government. No problem, no biggee! :lol:

you have a chance to educate Canadians looking in from afar... is there a problem?

Getting your supporters out and volunteering and giving money is always a big issue.

I'm sure Obama supporters last time around won't all come out this time. Sometimes

it is just a matter of getting them out. They won't vote for the other guy if they do.

That's true, i guess it's more a matter of campaign donations and volunteering etc. than actual votes.

Guest American Woman

clearly, you're not prepared, likely unable, to qualify your so-called opposition to the Obama Affordable Care Act. With heightened non-specificity and a lack of any substantiation, you claim a, "stepping on people's rights"... you presume to suggest there were no concerns over uninsured in the United States - simple... just buy health insurance, or if poor, you'll get it from the U.S. government. No problem, no biggee! :lol:

you have a chance to educate Canadians looking in from afar... is there a problem?

Good. Lord. Let's start with this:

you presume to suggest there were no concerns over uninsured in the United States - simple... just buy health insurance, or if poor, you'll get it from the U.S. government. No problem, no biggee!
:lol:

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. You come across as hysterical, but I have no clue as to what you are actually saying.

Not all, but I am assuming a good chunk of their base are against it. Good point though with the Fed v states comment. I do think it is possible that it could help show some uncertain conservatives (uncertain about Romney I mean) that is he conservative. Even if they do think it should be a state issue.

And it could turn off some moderates and independents but I don't think it will do that much.

I honestly just think Romney's stance is pure hot-air to show that he is conservative to the conservative base. There's no way this will ever turn into any ammendment/law, since several others in the past have tried to put this in front of congress with no success. So Romney can get someone to put the bill/ammendment forward & be able to say he tried, but it's just symbolic really since nothing will come from it.

Kind of smart politically actually, unless it ends up costing him more votes of moderates going to Obama than him than the benefits of gaining conservative support.

Romney is a moderate and not a radical conservative like many GOP's, which is why I like him (edit: compared to other GOP's lol). It's too bad he has to sell himself out in a national election and take stances he probably wouldn't do otherwise just to the support of the wa-hoos on the right.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I was considering voting for Romney until he picked Ryan as his running mate, so these things do make a difference to some.

From an article:

Paul Ryan has voted to ban same-sex marriage and adoption by gay couples, and he voted against repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly in the military.

Even gay couple adoption? Pretty wild. Conservatives are all for getting government out of their living when it comes to taxes, but certainly not social issues.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Buy bye. :)

you had 2 somewhat eager Canadians openly seeking, openly encouraging, your thoughts on the Obama Afforadable Care Act, particularly why you're in opposition to it. This truly is a unique cross-border opportunity for real information exchange... particularly when said opposition is asserted from a self-proclaimed 'progressive Democrat', as yourself. Rather than squander such a platform vehicle, I would encourage you to set aside your insecurities in relation to the Canadian health system. Look upon this as a real chance for you to provide a distinctly separate, uniquely American perspective on the failings of your health care system. Thanking you in advance.

Guest American Woman

From an article:

Even gay couple adoption? Pretty wild. Conservatives are all for getting government out of their living when it comes to taxes, but certainly not social issues.

I don't find it hard to believe that someone who opposes gay marriage would oppose gay adoption. I have to wonder, though, how many moderate, especially younger moderate, Republicans share their views. I can't understand it, really, as there is so much more openness and acceptance of it in society these days. I would guess that many vote Republican in spite of the candidates' views in this area, not because of them.

It is strange how there still seems to be uncertainty as to which issues belong to the federal government and which issues to the states. The duties of the federal government are meticulously listed and by supposition anything which is not mentioned is considered as state's responsibility.

Guest American Woman

It is strange how there still seems to be uncertainty as to which issues belong to the federal government and which issues to the states. The duties of the federal government are meticulously listed and by supposition anything which is not mentioned is considered as state's responsibility.

Not necessarily; sometimes it has to be determined that it's a federal issue - and I don't see how SSM can be left to the states as marriage involves some federal benefits. So what's to be done if it's left to the states - same sex partners where it's legal to marry can collect federal benefits even as those in states where it's not legal cannot - even though they all pay taxes that are applied to said benefits? It makes no sense.

Saw this scroll across the bottom of theTV screen on CNN while watching the Republican Convention. Somehow I missed this:

link

Wow, just wow. Good luck getting this one through Mitt! :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that they came out and said this recently. The link is from May?

I thought this was a thread on gay marriage.

Anyway, some people favour gay marriage and others don't. So far, by referendum, the majority of people in the US do not favour gay marriage.

Something in the neighbourhood of 6-10 states recently voted against it, including california. Although some judicially active judge I believe tried to kill the peoples' will.

It's kind of tyrannical when a small group of people think they can impose their will on a large group. Gay marriage isn't liked in the USA. So just get on with your lives.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld