Baskin-Robbins To Close Ontario Plant

Saw this little blurb and just wanted to share. It's really "cool" because not only does it involve ice cream, but the holding company for Baskin-Robbins includes the very topical Bain Capital. Goodbye union jobs!

In October, Baskin-Robbins will close its Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, manufacturing plant and shift production to existing partner suppliers. Production of ice cream for Baskin-Robbins shops located in Canada will shift to Scotsburn Dairy of Truro, Nova Scotia. The dairy already produces Baskin-Robbins ice cream products....

...Eighty people work at the Peterborough plant. Forty-six of those employees are represented by Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) union, and Baskin-Robbins will work with the union in regard to the closure. Approximately 15 positions will be eliminated by the end of July, with the remaining positions phased out as plant operations ramp down and the facility closes by mid-October. A few managers will stay on until the end of the year.

http://www.qsrweb.com/article/197641/Baskin-Robbins-closing-manufacturing-plant-in-Ontario

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/all/BaskinRobbins+close+Peterborough+cream+plant+October+jobs/6952483/story.html

It doesn't matter if its a union or non-union, when people lose their jobs, it's a sad day for the people involved but also the communities. This is a Tory federally riding and I guess Del Mastro, couldn't help, but the company is still staying in Canada and the Eastern Coast needs the jobs too.

It doesn't matter if its a union or non-union, when people lose their jobs, it's a sad day for the people involved but also the communities.

Okay, then they should take a few minutes to mourn and console each other, then promptly get over it and recognize the reality of the situation. If Ontariario has a large unionized work force, things are going to get worse, not better.

This is a Tory federally riding and I guess Del Mastro, couldn't help, but the company is still staying in Canada and the Eastern Coast needs the jobs too.

They can have those jobs until Bain Capital decides otherwise! ;)

It doesn't matter if its a union or non-union, when people lose their jobs, it's a sad day for the people involved but also the communities. This is a Tory federally riding and I guess Del Mastro, couldn't help, but the company is still staying in Canada and the Eastern Coast needs the jobs too.

Peterborough will be hurting from this one.So will Del Mastro!

WWWTT

What do you want to do, argue about how small is small, or how far away is isolated? Have fun

Well I think you're implying that a plan closure like this would be like if GM closed it's doors in Oshawa. I would have to disagree with that sentiment.

Now when Kawartha Downs is forced to close it's doors because the Ontario government is greedy and incompetent that might be something else. ;)

If the NDP had their way federally, theyd raise taxes on corporations like this, and push them completely out of the country.

You should look beyond the slogans sometimes.

We will keep Canada's corporate tax rate competitive by ensuring that our combined federal/provincial Corporate Income Tax rate is always below the United States federal corporate tax rate.

Do you realize that the NDP has drifted much to the right over the past 20-30 years ?

Are you happy with that fact ?

You should look beyond the slogans sometimes.

We will keep Canada's corporate tax rate competitive by ensuring that our combined federal/provincial Corporate Income Tax rate is always below the United States federal corporate tax rate.

Do you realize that the NDP has drifted much to the right over the past 20-30 years ?

Are you happy with that fact ?

Are you purposely being obtuse? The American corporate tax rate is 35%. The NDP could raise the Canadian corporate tax rate significantly and still technically be lower than the American rate. America's is the highest of any of the industrialized world.

Also, do you think Canadian corporations are just competing with American corporations? Come'on man, stop with your NDP talking points.

Are you purposely being obtuse? The American corporate tax rate is 35%. The NDP could raise the Canadian corporate tax rate significantly and still technically be lower than the American rate. America's is the highest of any of the industrialized world.

Also, do you think Canadian corporations are just competing with American corporations? Come'on man, stop with your NDP talking points.

I suppose your post is technically correct, but I reiterate that the NDP isn't as left wing as you make it out to be.

I suppose your post is technically correct, but I reiterate that the NDP isn't as left wing as you make it out to be.

Yeah, but you're asking Shady to stand for something instead of always bitching against something. I don't think Shady has ever taken a stance once on this forum. He's much too busy criticizing all the things he disagrees with.

Yeah, but you're asking Shady to stand for something instead of always bitching against something. I don't think Shady has ever taken a stance once on this forum. He's much too busy criticizing all the things he disagrees with.

I'm pretty sure he stands for something. And perpetual criticdom (not a word) is just another curse of forum addition.

Theoretically. Not in reality.