The RCMP is getting drunk on your tax dollars

It appears that the new $1.2 billion state-of-the art RCMP facility in Surrey , British Columbia will have 'alcohol-a-flowing' day and night.

Vancouver -based investigative reporter Bob Mackin has learned that the builders have applied for a primary liquor licence for the 76,162-square foot facility, scheduled for completion in 2013.

The new RCMP officers' mess, he says, hopes to serve beer Sundays through Thursdays from 11 a.m. to midnight and 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/billion-dollar-surrey-rcmp-facility-serving-booze-214541635.html

Somebody had better lock up the tasers.

Edited by Rick

This is one thing I won't disagree with. The things that the RCMP is exposed to and have to deal with, the least we can do is allow them this to try and forget some of those things.

Boozing to forget has a long long history of making things worse. Better to join the Foreign Legion

I don't literally expect them to booze to forget, but giving them somewhere to unwind in private where they can be around others that go through the same experiences is a good idea imo.

Then the government should be funding the building of pubs for all.

Whatever happened to going down to a local watering hole...you know the thing every other cop has done historically...

Sorry, but this is a pure waste of taxpayer money.

This is one thing I won't disagree with. The things that the RCMP is exposed to and have to deal with, the least we can do is allow them this to try and forget some of those things.

I would disagree if I thought we were paying for the booze, but I doubt very much that's true. I do wonder, though, whether the backroom 'girl' and drug parties common at police clubs will be happening at the same location.

When all put their lives on the line in the service of this country, then they can have their pubs. Until then, the RCMP and the military get pubs. I don't see the problem anyway, the drinks aren't free.

Seriously though, it's a bit awkward to have the RCMP going to a public bar where they may have carry out enforcement at some point in time or another. If they witness criminal activity going on while they are off, they're required to respond too. This is just a safe place for them to unwind where they don't have to worry about being cops. They can't do that in a public bar.

Edited by cybercoma

Whatever happened to going down to a local watering hole...you know the thing every other cop has done historically...

Sorry, but this is a pure waste of taxpayer money.

I don't quite understand your position, Rick. According to the quote in the OP, the alcohol is to be served as a result of a liquor permit issued to a mess that is already built! Obviously, the extra expense is trivial when you already have a mess.

A few more glasses in the dishwasher, a bit more room taken up in the fridge for bottles, - where is there a significant waste of taxpayer money?

Unless it is your position that there should be no facilities to feed these RCMP folks? They should bring their own paper bag lunches? Or if that is not practical if they are all sleeping in this centre or too far from home, maybe we should have some catering machines serving horrible coffee and chicken soup, along with dry and tasteless tuna sandwiches loaded with preservatives?

Or maybe we should instead make it a profit centre and tender for some fast food outlet to serve these officers? McDonalds, perhaps?

It seems a little perverted to enable the use of mind altering substances by people who spend a good deal of their time shaking down other people for doing the same thing. It's like dipping chicken-wings in a beaten egg before cooking them.

I've never been shaken down for drinking alcohol. Prohibition ended a long time ago. I can even go into stores and buy it myself without being harassed by the police.

I've never been shaken down for drinking alcohol. Prohibition ended a long time ago. I can even go into stores and buy it myself without being harassed by the police.

True, but that's obviously not the point I was alluding to by referring to booze as just another mind altering substance.

True, but that's obviously not the point I was alluding to by referring to booze as just another mind altering substance.

Sure build them a bar that they can get drunk at before going out to persecute cannabis users, who BTW are a lot less violent and dangerous than drunks.

In a mess wether military or RCMP alcohol when served has nothing to do with tax dollars. In a mess the members will buy the alcoholic beverage and if there is an even where free alcohol is given it is paid for from mess dues that each member of the mess pays. Tax Dollars are not involved.

I would need more info. Why does the facility need a mess in the first place - is it so officers on duty can have a meal? In that case, AFAIK, officers on duty aren't allowed to drink, and if they are they should not be. If it's for officers off duty, why do we need to supply them with a facility? They are off duty, let them go to one of the many fine private establishments in Surrey. These are not people confined to a base as is the military. Makes no sense to me.

I don't literally expect them to booze to forget, but giving them somewhere to unwind in private where they can be around others that go through the same experiences is a good idea imo.

I wonder if they will have unmarked cruisers lingering outside of this establishment late at night to nail impaired drivers?

That's what the cops usually do with every other establishment that serves alcohol.

Or is a police officer going home after a night of "unwinding" now a safe driver?

WWWTT

Seriously though, it's a bit awkward to have the RCMP going to a public bar where they may have carry out enforcement at some point in time or another. If they witness criminal activity going on while they are off, they're required to respond too. This is just a safe place for them to unwind where they don't have to worry about being cops. They can't do that in a public bar.

This is a false statement.

A cop who tries to be a law enforcement agent after drinking is walking down the wrong path buddy!

WWWTT

In a mess wether military or RCMP alcohol when served has nothing to do with tax dollars. In a mess the members will buy the alcoholic beverage and if there is an even where free alcohol is given it is paid for from mess dues that each member of the mess pays. Tax Dollars are not involved.

Depot has 3 bars I believe - the culture starts at training

I guess there's a bunch of alcoholics on this forum because I know I can have a drink with a meal and not get wasted. However, reading the posts here, one would think a person can't have a drink without getting smashed.

All I am saying is that the police should be held to the same standard that they hold the public too!

WWWTT

All I am saying is that the police should be held to the same standard that they hold the public too!

WWWTT

And where did it say anything about a different standard? This is likely not the first nor is it the only RCMP mess in existence. The mess serves as much more then a place to drink and/or get drunk, its the place that uphold traditions and celebrates the highs and lows of the job and the people who do the job. I know a lot of people might not understand this because it is a different culture but sometime you just need to go to the mess, have a beer with friendly faces around.

I have no problem with cops drinking, but It seems like its a good opportunity for them to interact with the community.

In any case the taxpayer should not have to spend money on facilities to serve alcohol to police, but if the cops can raise the funds themselves I see no problem with it.

Edited by dre

I have no problem with cops drinking, but It seems like its a good opportunity for them to interact with the community.

In any case the taxpayer should not have to spend money on facilities to serve alcohol to police, but if the cops can raise the funds themselves I see no problem with it.

I'm not sure if such interaction is a good idea, Dr. Dre. While we have witnessed the crowds paying respect along the Highway of Heroes we also have a good many people who are anti-military and police. They would see open access to an RCMP mess hall as an opportunity to stage demonstrations.

It could get ugly!