How do you feel about profanity?

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is an interesting issue. Personally, I like using profanity and don't mind hearing it since I find it both humourous and an effective & relatively harmless way to express strong emotions (psychological studies have shown the use of profanity to be a healthy way to relieve stress, emotional/physical pain, anger etc.).

Many others feel the same as I (though of course not all), & over the past few decades profanity has become far more socially acceptable (see: use in media). However, there is still a stigma about using profanity around children. We don't want to be the ones to be teaching little Johnny the F-word, and it is still odd and often obscene in most people's minds to hear a child using profanity.

But should we care if we use profanity around children, especially our own, if we like to use profanity ourselves when they aren't around? Why should we discourage children from using profanity if 1) it's hilarious, 2) it's a rather harmless & emotionally healthy way form expression (sticks & stones...), and 3) kids are likely just going to grow up and hear these words and start using them themselves eventually?

I'd like to know your personal thoughts on profanity (like it? hate it?), as well as the question of exposure to children & children using it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite shows are full of swearing.. Deadwood, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Dexter, Hockey, and my music like Eminem, so I don't mind it.

I don't swear often though but when I do something bad happened.

Don't mind if kids swear or hear swear words. They are just words after all.

Edited by Anti-Am

We don't want to be the ones to be teaching little Johnny the F-word, and it is still odd and often obscene in most people's minds to hear a child using profanity.

But should we care if we use profanity around children, especially our own, if we like to use profanity ourselves when they aren't around? Why should we discourage children from using profanity if 1) it's hilarious, 2) it's a rather harmless & emotionally healthy way form expression (sticks & stones...), and 3) kids are likely just going to grow up and hear these words and start using them themselves eventually?

I'd like to know your personal thoughts on profanity (like it? hate it?), as well as the question of exposure to children & children using it.

I think it's particularly hilarious when little kids start experimenting with taboo words, especially now that I'm a grandpa. I recall as a young parent the look of horror on my little potty mouths when I asked if they would ever talk like that at their grandparents.

I'm probably going to be one of those evil grandpa's who conspire with my grand kids against their parents. Who better to learn the Golden Rule, don't get caught?

I think the real trick is getting kids to twig to the idea of thinking about when and what is appropriate and where and why it's not when it isn't.

Edited by eyeball

Really? They will eventually stop? Very interesting approach to parenting.. I wish your little fuckers well in attaining a job. Fer fucks sake..

If you tell kids not to say certain words they will say it more. If you don't react when they swear they will eventually stop.

Really? They will eventually stop? Very interesting approach to parenting.. I wish your little fuckers well in attaining a job. Fer fucks sake..

I don't want kids but I took a parenting class in high school. I think it still applies. If a kid does something that gains the adults attention in a negative way he/she will keep doing it. It's called acting out for attention.

Internet trolls work the same way. They say something to get attention and if they don't get it they will try some other way to get attention.

Guest Manny

If you tell kids not to say certain words they will say it more. If you don't react when they swear they will eventually stop.

Classic Liberal child-rearing disease. "Do nothing, and the little sweethearts will eventually come around..."

I don't want kids but I took a parenting class in high school. I think it still applies. If a kid does something that gains the adults attention in a negative way he/she will keep doing it. It's called acting out for attention.

Internet trolls work the same way. They say something to get attention and if they don't get it they will try some other way to get attention.

stopstaaron's back...

I'll bet you get booted very soon...

I wish your little fuckers well in attaining a job. Fer fucks sake..

6 year olds generally don't get sent to the mines anymore, despite right-wingers sincere wishes for cheaper labour.... however, swearing would be the least of their issues in the mines...

Guest Manny

As long as the new poster does not break rules, we should let it go. And if it is him, we should give him another chance. That's generally my attitude, learn to forgive.

But baby if you screw up again, BAAMM!