Upsets Continue

This means we'll have a new cup winner this year.

Now here's your Hardner stat:

If the Devils don't win, it will be an incredible 9 seasons with 9 different winners - a record.

Except for the Red Wings, we've only had single cup winners for 15 years now. It's the era of parity. The dynasty is a distant memory.

This means we'll have a new cup winner this year.

Now here's your Hardner stat:

If the Devils don't win, it will be an incredible 9 seasons with 9 different winners - a record.

Except for the Red Wings, we've only had single cup winners for 15 years now. It's the era of parity. The dynasty is a distant memory.

Thats true, and I think thats a good thing. As a matter of fact its the ONLY usefull thing the NHL management has done in the last 20 years.

Thats true, and I think thats a good thing. As a matter of fact its the ONLY usefull thing the NHL management has done in the last 20 years.

They also brought in the salary cap (though I have read that it hasn't been as successful as thought) , added teams and reduced the number of stoppages in play.

If Ottawa and Florida win tonight, only one of the remaining teams (Philly Phlyers) will have won a Cup before.
I did not know either of those things, both are great!

Can't say I'm looking forward to the next couple of series in the West with only uber-defensive teams like Blues, Preds, Coyotes and Kings left in the running. There will be a lot of snoozefests ahead.

The Blues look hard to beat.

They also brought in the salary cap (though I have read that it hasn't been as successful as thought) , added teams and reduced the number of stoppages in play.

Reduced the number of stoppages? Thats completely backwards. They added the "TV Timeout"... before that play did not stop for commercials. Now it stops for every one. They also started calling a mountain of cheap penalties, which created a lot more stoppages as well. They added video review for even more stoppages, and then they were stupid enough to take out the tag-up offside rule which resulted in a whole SHITLOAD of new stoppages... they were forced to undo that one because it was so collosally stupid. Next thing they are talking about doing is whistling the play dead on icing calls, and that will add even MORE stoppages.

And they added teams in shit markets...

I love hockey but the NHL is the worst run sport on earth.

Reduced the number of stoppages? Thats completely backwards. They added the "TV Timeout"... before that play did not stop for commercials.

What is a TV timeout ?

There are fewer icing calls, to my mind. I have watched hockey this year for the first time in awhile and it seems so to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

If Ottawa and Florida win tonight, only one of the remaining teams (Philly Phlyers) will have won a Cup before. That's kinda cool.

And with Baaaahhhstan out, I can actually enjoy the rest of these playoffs. Go everyone!

Ok, so we can all get together and root against the Flyers now - especially because the immense legend that is Martin Brodeur can be the one to put them out in round 2.

100 playoff games won, and a new record for career playoff shutouts - 24 !

What is a TV timeout ?

Thats when they make players sit around and wait for commercials. They have been in place for about 15 years.

HEres a brief writeup...

typically after passing the following marks of each period after a whistle (Less than 14:00, Less than 10:00 and Less than 6:00 minutes) in each period. One of the linesmen wears a pager that alerts him when a TV timeout should be taken. TV timeout do not take place while a team is shorthanded due to penalties, it would then occur after the first whistle following the team's return to full strength, they do on occasion take place prior to the power play beginning. Timeouts also do not occur immediately after a goal or after an Icing infraction. Their are no tv timeouts in Playoff OT's.....thats why playoff overtime is the BEST sporting action ever

Ok, so we can all get together and root against the Flyers now - especially because the immense legend that is Martin Brodeur can be the one to put them out in round 2.

100 playoff games won, and a new record for career playoff shutouts - 24 !

The only team left in the Eastern Conference I don't loath is the Washington Capitals. :(

The worst thing about the Canucks being eliminated so early is that it costs me money. No, I didn't put a bet on them. However, the Canucks being out amounts to less customers, less happy people, and smaller tips. Stupid Canucks. Just another reason why the Canucks suck.

The only team left in the Eastern Conference I don't loath is the Washington Capitals. :(

I feel the same way.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the things going on this spring, the Coyotes demolishing the Predators is probably the most surprising to me. The Kings destroying the Blues is a close second.

A lot of people complained about the playoff seeding system. "It bugs me that a bullshit team like the Coyotes can get the 3rd seed just because they won a crappy division." Well, that bullshit team has torn up two of the top teams in the league. And the other finalist is also from that crappy division, and they've also ripped apart two of the top teams in the league.

Holy crap. Extra congratulations for Phoenix captain Shane Doan, who has been in the NHL for just about 20 years and never won a playoff series until this year. It must have been tough living in his sister-in-law's shadow all this time. :)

-k

If you are at a NHL game and wonder why play has stopped or when it will begin, watch the penalty bench area. Whenever there is a TV timeout, a bare red light bulb in on there. The linesman will get the faceoff set up, as soon as that bulb goes off he drops the puck and play resumes.

No I remember when they were implemented and I didnt start watching hockey until the late 80's. 15 years is about right, although I cant find the exact date.

I remember seeing this when I saw the Lafleur era teams play in the 1970s... nothing new here.

Of all the things going on this spring, the Coyotes demolishing the Predators is probably the most surprising to me. The Kings destroying the Blues is a close second.

A lot of people complained about the playoff seeding system. "It bugs me that a bullshit team like the Coyotes can get the 3rd seed just because they won a crappy division." Well, that bullshit team has torn up two of the top teams in the league. And the other finalist is also from that crappy division, and they've also ripped apart two of the top teams in the league.

Holy crap. Extra congratulations for Phoenix captain Shane Doan, who has been in the NHL for just about 20 years and never won a playoff series until this year. It must have been tough living in his sister-in-law's shadow all this time. :)

-k

I don't see how Phx winning justifies the seeding/playoff setup (which undeservedly gave them home ice advantage). And I definitely wouldn't say Chicago was one of the best teams in the league. I am Hawks fan and I don't think they had a chance at a run. They have 2 good D men (When Oduya is your #3 that says something), poor goaltending and Torres knocked out their leading scorer. Not to meantion that Chi outshot them in every game (badly in most cases) and of the 6 games in the series 5 went into overtime. That is hardly ripping them apart.

Now the Kings actually did beat the top 2 ranked teams in the league and outplayed them. But they were actually seeded according to their season.

I think that in all N-American professional sports they should abolish the system that the final of the league is some artificial East-West confrontation. They should organise it differently. If NY Rangers and NI Islanders ever get to be the best teams in the NHL they should be able to meet in the Stanley Cup finals. Or ditto Montral and Toronto.

Edited by -TSS-

I think that in all N-American professional sports they should abolish the system that the final of the league is some artificial East-West confrontation. They should organise it differently. If NY Rangers and NI Islanders ever get to be the best teams in the NHL they should be able to meet in the Stanley Cup finals. Or ditto Montral and Toronto.

They did that for quite a while. were the 1st seeded team played 16th seed, 2nd vs 15th and so on.

Attendance suffered as there were few natural or regional rivalries that resulted in matchups.

I don't see how Phx winning justifies the seeding/playoff setup (which undeservedly gave them home ice advantage). And I definitely wouldn't say Chicago was one of the best teams in the league. I am Hawks fan and I don't think they had a chance at a run. They have 2 good D men (When Oduya is your #3 that says something), poor goaltending and Torres knocked out their leading scorer. Not to meantion that Chi outshot them in every game (badly in most cases) and of the 6 games in the series 5 went into overtime. That is hardly ripping them apart.

Now the Kings actually did beat the top 2 ranked teams in the league and outplayed them. But they were actually seeded according to their season.

Well, I guess the Hawks aren't the Hawks of a couple of years ago. I think a 101-point team is still probably a top team in most peoples' view. Nonetheless, complaining about home ice advantage seems a little silly considering they won all the games they played in Chicago.

The real justification of the division winners getting top seeds is the imbalanced schedule, which unfairly punishes teams in tougher divisions. For example, suppose Phoenix and Vancouver switched divisions. Would the Coyotes have finished with more than 97 points if they got to play all those games against crappy teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, and Minnesota? Of course. Would the Canucks have finished with 111 points if they had to play more games against real opposition? Of course not.

-k