CBC cuts 650 jobs and wants to advertise now

Boges

Boo Hoo! :rolleyes:

The austerity axe chopped deep into the CBC's budget Wednesday, and will result in "a very different public broadcaster," CBC president Hubert Lacroix said.

Viewers can expect less original programming, more reruns and - for the first time - ads on CBC radio as the broad-caster copes with a $115-mil-lion cut in federal funding. The agency will also sell some buildings, tinker with employee pensions and cut jobs in the coming three years as it adjusts to a smaller budget.

"It's not a fun day," Lacroix said.

Across Canada, 650 full-time CBC jobs will be eliminated. This includes 475 this fiscal year, a further 150 jobs in the 2013-2014 fiscal year and the remaining in 2014-2015. Those 650 jobs - split equally between French and English services - amounts to about nine per cent of the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.'s work-force. That includes 150 management jobs.

Budget cuts will start this year with a $27.8-million reduction in government spending on the CBC's operations, and increase to $69.6 million in 2013-14 and finally reaches the $115-million savings mark by 2014-15. The CBC will also no longer receive its $60-million top-up from the federal government for programming. Taking into account budget trimming already done this year and severance pack-ages, Lacroix said, the CBC is staring into a budgetary hole of $225 million.

"We are talking about financial pressures totalling $200 million today," he said. "Plus an additional 25 million for severance of about 650 [jobs]." CBC television's senior correspondent in Ottawa, Terry Milewski, was stoic in his response to the deep cuts.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/cuts+jobs+wants+radio/6414407/story.html#ixzz1rCI9Mo10

I read that Astral Media, who own a bunch of radio stations is making a challenge to the CRTC so they can't sell ads.

They have to decide if they are a public broadcaster or not. They're still getting plenty of public money.

http://thenetwork.thestar.com/expert-opinion/astral-slams-cbc-plan/20120405/

Edited by Boges

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the government gives money to the CBC, Sun TV, CTV and Global and others, did they too get a deduction in budget?

I knew that the CBC, being a public service, receives its entire zillion dollar budget from tax money, Topaz. However, it's news to me that the other private broadcasters get money too!

How much do they get? Is it anywhere near what the CBC gets? Would it buy a case of beer?

Seriously, I'd like to know. Perhaps you could be good enough to tell me just how much money we're talking here.

Ok, let's assume you technically are correct. Are those revenues a significant or a trivial portion?

The only revenue numbers on here are the zillions you mentioned. ;)

I like you, so I will spend 1 minute to Google some numbers from Wikipedia for you Bill:

I read that 64% of the CBC's budget is from the Feds. Now I've been told none of the sports get gumint money. So Don Cherry's wages don't come from Ottawa. But I'd venture people like Strombo and Jian Ghomeshi's do.

Astral's beef is that they're playing both sides of the game. If they want to be fully funded by the government then don't show ads. Like TVO, but now CBC 2 wants to compete with them in ad sales. I'm sure they still get some of their money from the government though. As I said it's an unfair advantage.

The big problem with the CBC we don't know exactly where the government money goes. On how much of it actually goes to fulfilling their nebulous mandate.

I knew that the CBC, being a public service, receives its entire zillion dollar budget from tax money, Topaz. However, it's news to me that the other private broadcasters get money too!

How much do they get? Is it anywhere near what the CBC gets? Would it buy a case of beer?

Seriously, I'd like to know. Perhaps you could be good enough to tell me just how much money we're talking here.

As to your question I would like to know too. I only learn this by watching C-Pac and a committee hearings when they had the head of Quebecor before the committee and he was asked if he got government money as did CBC and he said yes.

Wow CBC has the hatchet out big time.

http://www.toronto.com/article/722144?bn=1

The cancellation of CBC News Network’s “Connect with Mark Kelley” and CBC Radio’s “Dispatches” are among a swath of cuts reportedly hitting the public broadcaster.

Staffers attending an afternoon meeting tweeted that the shows had been scrapped.

CBC reporter Tom Harrington, meanwhile, tweeted that additional cuts include shuttered news bureaus in Africa and South America as well the elimination of 88 news jobs.

The reductions are part of 256 job losses throughout English Services expected to roll out over the next three years.

It’s all part of CBC’s response to last week’s federal budget, which cut $115 million — or about 10 per cent of the CBC’s overall budget — over the next three years.

Poor Mark Kelley. :unsure:

Dispatches is a great show....

The CBC is acting like a petulant child over this. Instead of looking at their middle management to cut the fat they're cutting programming people might like and actually doing things that affect their mandate like trying to sell ads on one of their radio stations.

BTW why does Newsworld get any public money? It's on cable so you have to pay a provider to receive it, it advertises and it competes with Sun News. :rolleyes:

Edited by Boges

• 3 weeks later...

BTW why does Newsworld get any public money? It's on cable so you have to pay a provider to receive it, it advertises and it competes with Sun News. :rolleyes:

Same reason Sun News TV gets some money, same reason, HGTV and all the other Shaw/Bell/Rogers produced shows get funds.

They apply for it.

Same reason Sun News TV gets some money, same reason, HGTV and all the other Shaw/Bell/Rogers produced shows get funds.

They apply for it.

You know it's different.

The Fed didn't announce a 10% reduction in Sun News' grants in the budget.

The money, above and beyond the money that's available to every broadcaster, the CBC receives goes to fulfilling a mandate.

CBC News isn't something that contributes to fulfilling that mandate. It shouldn't get any of the public money that goes towards CBC's goal to ensure Canada's culture, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

So the fact that the CBC cancelled a Newsworld show, following a budget cut from the Fed, means that they are using Federal money for a cable channel that competes with other 24-hour news channels.

I don't think that's right.

You know it's different.

Your question was "BTW why does Newsworld get any public money? It's on cable so you have to pay a provider to receive it, it advertises and it competes with Sun News. '

The answer is, they applied for it and got it.

The Fed didn't announce a 10% reduction in Sun News' grants in the budget.

So?

Maybe they felt sorry for Sun news, afterall, the ratings are not horrible but an adsolute catastrophe. Highest ratings since their first week, and appropos, it was all the SUN TV folks tuning in to see Trudeau get the crap beat out of him by Brazeau.(if one can say high, 90,000 is pretty piss poor , hell, lousy ratings for Little Mosque is 300,000 :lol: )

As we all know, Brazeau and Sun News both get the same treatment, a solid left to the jaw .

The money, above and beyond the money that's available to every broadcaster, the CBC receives goes to fulfilling a mandate.

CBC News isn't something that contributes to fulfilling that mandate. It shouldn't get any of the public money that goes towards CBC's goal to ensure Canada's culture, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

to the frist part, correct.

To the second, They do meet the mandate as laid out.

So the fact that the CBC cancelled a Newsworld show, following a budget cut from the Fed, means that they are using Federal money for a cable channel that competes with other 24-hour news channels.

I don't think that's right.

Complain to the Feds then. But Harper aint stupid, he knows cutting the CBC would be a serious breach and he would likely pay a fair price in that tomfoolery.

Edited by guyser

Complain to the Feds then. But Harper aint stupid, he knows cutting the CBC would be a serious breach and he would likely pay a fair price in that tomfoolery.

But he did recognize that their budget is bloated and cut a bit and now we're seeing CBC makes some massive changes.

When you consider the things they're cutting you can ask the question as to what part of the mandate did those shows fulfill anyway?

But he did recognize that their budget is bloated and cut a bit and now we're seeing CBC makes some massive changes.

When you consider the things they're cutting you can ask the question as to what part of the mandate did those shows fulfill anyway?

Harper raised the budget in the year prior, only this time did he cut. So add 2 , take away 2 and voila !

Look at it this way. CBC has to sell air time, commercial airtime to pay some bills. Lots of Canada (see :Little old ladies and shut ins) love Jeopardy and especially wheel of fortune. Eyeballs bring in dollars, dollars pay bills.

Cant leave the 4:30 slot showing the old Indian head like they did in the 60s and 70s can they? (the stations signed off the air after the news, as did CTV, ChEX ,CHCH et al)

Not to mention canuck unity is increased when lil ol ladies can buy a vowel.

Kidding aside, the mandate was not meant to be fulfilled 24-7 but as situations presented themselves.

Think.....

-Elections

-Canada Day

-Gov't announcments

-Parliament opening

-Special cultural events

-Promoting CDN actors/singers/dancers and so on.

-State visits

....and so on and so on

Kidding aside, the mandate was not meant to be fulfilled 24-7 but as situations presented themselves.

Think.....

-Elections

-Canada Day

-Gov't announcments

-Parliament opening

-Special cultural events

-Promoting CDN actors/singers/dancers and so on.

-State visits

....and so on and so on

Private news organizations do those things too.

BTW Anyone with Over the Air Network TV that lives remotely close to the US gets Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy already. So buying those shows serve very few people.

Edited by Boges

Private news organizations do those things too.

Some yes, most not nearly like the Corp does.

BTW Anyone with Over the Air Network TV that lives remotely close to the US gets Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy already. So buying those shows serve very few people.

They serve infinitely far more people than the OTA folks . No two ways about it.

• 2 weeks later...