Tory MP tells high schoolers they should carry guns

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't you answer his before demanding he answer yours?

The article was about the MPs allegations, the article did not lie and misconstrue anything, they just reported the allegations and the fact that the MP denied the accusations .. that is no different than what the media does every other time

Spiderfish demands the media to not report propaganda by the opposition ..but is he also against propaganda by the government being reported? I don't think he is, he's never complained about it before

He's a partisan conservative supporter before anything else

all I did was call him out on it

The article was about the MPs allegations, the article did not lie and misconstrue anything, they just reported the allegations and the fact that the MP denied the accusations ..

The article dedicates more than 90% of its column length to the allegations. I looked in it for any record of Breitkreuz's actual words spoken to the class; there were none; just reams of quotes from the mother's letter and the MP she wrote it to. Thus, the first thing I concluded after reading it was that it was heavily biased. And I think it's therefore right to question the reporter's fact-checking and impartiality.

The article dedicates more than 90% of its column length to the allegations. I looked in it for any record of Breitkreuz's actual words spoken to the class; there were none; just reams of quotes from the mother's letter and the MP she wrote it to. Thus, the first thing I concluded after reading it was that it was heavily biased. And I think it's therefore right to question the reporter's fact-checking and impartiality.

She wrote it supposedly by what her kid told her so you were never going to get direct quotes as she was not there

Edited by stopstaaron

She wrote it supposedly by what her kid told her so you were never going to get direct quotes as she was not there

That misses the point. The mother is not a reporter. The reporter should have sought Breitkreuz's actual speech or, if that wasn't possible, corroborated the mother's interpretation of her daughter's story with other witnesses who were there and heard Breitkreuz speak.

I am against any untruthful propaganda by the government and the opposition. I am against attack ads for the same reason. I just found it humourous that an ardent conservative cheerleader like spiderlisp is against propaganda when the people he cheers for put out more propaganda than any of the opposition parties combined

I find this statement ridiculous, bordering on ignorant. Sidearms are used as a method of defense whether they are used or not. The very possession and carry of them is a form of defense.

The accusation that every person who carries a firearm is guilty of gun violence is absurd, and is the main reason gun owners resisted C-68. Responsible gun owners have no problem with regulation, but have a very big problem with being labeled as potential criminals, simply because they possess a gun.

Thats not what CC said though. CC said "who actually uses their gun", which is correct. THat may be defensive in nature but its still gun violence.

Harperrrrrrr, get your loons in control here, geez man, what the hell? I suspect we'll hear more about this from the schools point of view

of course he will deny making such claims!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29/tory-mp-under-fire-after-allegedly-telling-high-schoolers-girls-should-be-armed/

OTTAWA — Saskatchewan Tory MP Garry Breitkreuz found himself in hot water Thursday after an Ottawa mother complained he told a Grade 10 class that everyone in Canada should be armed — especially girls.

Dianna Sakisheway wrote a scathing letter to Public Safety Minister Vic Toews this week. Her complaint stems from a speech Breitkreuz — known as the father of the legislation to repeal the long-gun registry — gave during a career day at Canterbury High School on March 7.

“I am outraged at the irresponsible conduct of the federal government in promoting gun violence to schoolchildren,” she wrote. “You have gone much too far.”

“Mr. Breitkreuz spent most of his allotted time discussing firearms and cited a Texas study that showed women who carry guns are less likely to get raped, including a specific number of women who avoided rape as they were armed,” Sakisheway wrote in another letter obtained by Postmedia News. “Stop assaulting the sensibilities of our children.”

Kooooooooook!

Guest Derek L

Stop changing the channel, Derek. The Member of Parliament was telling these students that they should be packing heat for personal protection. This isn't about "shooting gophers on the farm or hunting out in the bush."

I fail to see the difference between stopstaaron’s Glock and a rifle used to kill Gophers…….Do you know what firearm was used in the École Polytechnique Massacre ?

Yea, i mean, imagine if a woman, say, kidnapped in a classroom by a crazy person could have shot back.

Just wtf did you mean by that?

He wants women to protect themselves, how much of an ass do you have to be to believe that women in Montreal wouldnt prefer to shoot back rather than be slaughtered if given the choice? My god man, how pathetic.

This statement you make is actually a reverse stereo type sexist remark.

Women are capable of committing murder!

This is how an arms race starts

WWWTT

This statement you make is actually a reverse stereo type sexist remark.

Women are capable of committing murder!

This is how an arms race starts

WWWTT

Do me a favor, tap on your head and tell me if it sounds hollow.

Where in my remark did i say that women could not use a firearm to protect themselves from other women? If you call my remarks sexist can I call yours incredibly stupid? O probably not.

Do me a favor, tap on your head and tell me if it sounds hollow.

Where in my remark did i say that women could not use a firearm to protect themselves from other women? If you call my remarks sexist can I call yours incredibly stupid? O probably not.

Actually everyone has the right to defend themeself.

When you neglect to point out these things you give the implication.

And actually I did everyone the favour and reported you and hopefully the admin will spare everyone from more of you!

WWWTT

This story is taking many twists and turns.

The story has gotten more bizarre as it has gone on, with Liberal MP Judy Foote raising Ms. Sakisheway’s letter in the House, now claiming that Mr. Breitkreuz had told young girls to carry guns to protect themselves from sexual assault — something that is never mentioned in Ms. Sakisheway’s letter. When challenged to substantiate her claims, Ms. Foote threatened to table Ms. Sakisheway’s letter in the House. Ms. Foote? I’ll save you the trouble. Find the letter below. It doesn’t say what you said it did. You’re welcome!

But the political sideshow misses the point. Canadians do have a right to self-defence, including the use of firearms, which are legal to own. It’s not promoting violence to say as much.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/03/30/matt-gurney-talking-about-self-defence-isnt-promoting-gun-violence/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The text of the letter is included in the above linked article.

Dianne Sakisheway is entitled to her views and to let politicians know where she stands. With regard to Judy Foote, it appears that she twisted Sakisheway's words to suit her agenda and to land a punch in the House.

Guest Derek L

Yeah I cant relate to that I guess. My guns are for hunting and fun. If I lived in a place where I was so afraid that I felt I needed to carry a gun around all day, I would go and live somewhere else.

If you even GET to the point where people are afraid to go out in public without firearms, then you have some serious problems that WONT be fixed by gun ownership.

Sorry for the delay in reply, didn’t see it earlier……

And my guns are for hunting and fun too, but that doesn’t discount the fact, that if under certain circumstances, if I had to choose between using them to defend myself and my family or leaving them in the safes, the decision is rather obvious……………Though I don’t lay awake worrying about such a scenario, and my two first lines in home security are ADT and two big ugly dogs, home invasions & violent crime still do occur here (Greater Vancouver)………If some punks kicked in my front door at 2:00am, my first response won’t be to grab the phone and dial 911 and wait ten minutes for the Coquitlam RCMP to show up, but to grab a 12 gauge out of the safe in my bedroom closet.

Would you be any different?

Guest Derek L

Holy Crap man, can you even say such a thing in this day and age in Canada?

Seriously though, although I personally don't see a flaw in your logic, there are MANY in this country that do. The moment you pull out that scatter gun to defend yourself and family against personal attack, you are instantly considered more of a threat to public safety than the thug that kicked down your door and threatened harm on you and your family, and will be prosecuted accordingly. So the question you have to ask yourself if this happens is does the safety of your family and your obligation to protect them supersede your freedom and a criminal conviction and the consequences that come of it? Sleep tight.

I’d rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six

With that said, in my first response to the OP, I made it clear that prior to the granting of ATCs under the auspices of self defence, there would be a prior requirement to change and better define Canada’s self-defence laws……..An implementation of some sort of Castle Doctrine would, in my opinion, be sound.

Guest Derek L

Couldn't agree more, self defense laws need to be reviewed and defined better. This country needs to implement a Castle Doctrine.

Agreed, and obviously prior to giving the legal green light to self defence with a firearm………

I have zero desire to “police the mean streets” ala Chuck Bronson, but every intention, if legal of course, to play El Degüello and defend my “castle” to the same extent as the Alamo.....if required of course.

;)

Sorry for the delay in reply, didn’t see it earlier……

And my guns are for hunting and fun too, but that doesn’t discount the fact, that if under certain circumstances, if I had to choose between using them to defend myself and my family or leaving them in the safes, the decision is rather obvious……………Though I don’t lay awake worrying about such a scenario, and my two first lines in home security are ADT and two big ugly dogs, home invasions & violent crime still do occur here (Greater Vancouver)………If some punks kicked in my front door at 2:00am, my first response won’t be to grab the phone and dial 911 and wait ten minutes for the Coquitlam RCMP to show up, but to grab a 12 gauge out of the safe in my bedroom closet.

Would you be any different?

Whatever happened to the trusty baseball bat?

Guest Derek L

Whatever happened to the trusty baseball bat?

Not much good against a thug(s) with illegal semi-autos……....With that said, some would contend, that a Lee Enfield mk 4 or a Browning Auto-5, if called upon, would make a decent stand-in, baseball bat.