Iceland: Canada's 11th Province?

Boges

Of course, but I have no reason to ever find out today. First impressions are important, and Canadian merchants loving my Yankee dollars 25 years ago will last forever. Then it got even worse....Canadian peso!

And now you have to contend with Canuckistani tourists heading south to buy cheap property in a third world country, albeit one with safe drinking water.

The big wheel turns.

Edited by fellowtraveller

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest American Woman

... what a wonderful world this would be if that was a standard size of a country.

Why would that make this a wonderful world?

-----------------------------------------------

Edited to add:

What if Iceland were to become a territory instead of a province? Would that be more or less likely and/or more or less advantageous to Canada or Iceland? Same question re: Turks and Caicos, since they've been mentioned, too....

Edited by American Woman

7bn people on this planet right now and the figure is rapidly rising. Only 20 years ago the figure was 5bn. At this rate we are heading for a doom.

Ok, I admit that if a population of 300,000 were a standard size of a country, there would also be less trade and opportunities of wealth arising from it.

India will soon overtake China as world's most populous country but even India is not a long-term worry as their population is projected to start falling by the middle of the century. The real problem is Africa the population of which is expected to rise from the current 1bn to 3bn by the year 2050.

Of course, predictions are just predictions and one war on a grand scale can render predictions useless.

http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/Most-Populous-Countries-In-2100.htm

Edited by -TSS-

Well no, but they want to use our currency. unsure.gif

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/MacDonald+Canadian+loonie+looks+mighty+appealing+tiny+troubled+Iceland/6259941/story.html#ixzz1oNdS1Sje

Not sure how interesting this is. I wonder if they could potentially become a province or at least a Canadian Territory.

They have an excellent Junior Hockey program.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pBR42NL-8qA/TUJppaJ4QXI/AAAAAAAAAC4/mPwRq_Zt25E/s1600/The-Mighty-Ducks-2.jpg

We already have an Iceland where people speak their own language and live on a rock. Its called Newfoundland. I like Newfoundlanders they are god people so I say go fir it and bring in Iceland. I think we need yet another language to dispute. I mean ever since Newfoundland joined confederaion they have challenged the country to adapt their language. Its been hard by geez but I tink I'z got her down.

China's one child policy fits into that line of thinking.

They enforce that by killing babies. I doubt many in the rest of the world will be on board for that.

If we are going to actually reduce the human population, it will require killing people. If people are serious about over-population being something we need to tackle, they need to tell me who they want killed first. China decided that it's innocent babies. Another country might do it "Logan's Run" style, and give everyone a set time limit before they are removed, yet another might make executions the set penalty for all criminal convictions, etc.

I guess there is one other way... sterilization at birth. I guess that would work. Doubt many would go for that either though.

What else can they do? How else can you REDUCE the number of people without removing existing people?

China's one child policy fits into that line of thinking.

Soon they are going to have a massive shortage of women resulting in a lot of angry young men who can't find wives. So, women need to be imported, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Guest American Woman

Soon they are going to have a massive shortage of women resulting in a lot of angry young men who can't find wives. So, women need to be imported, which kind of defeats the purpose.

"Soon" has already arrived.

I agree! Why on earth would they want to? They are under fiscal pressure that they could satisfy by using our dollar. That's it!

They have no need or pressure to even consider a political union.

Meanwhile, we keep turning down the Turks and Caicos Islands, who would LOVE to become part of Canada! They are a holiday destination!

We are perpetual idiots to keep refusing while talking about letting Iceland join up!

Turks and Caicos has poor population relative to ours. It would cost a lot of money to assimilate them and we would get pretty much nothing in return.

Well no, but they want to use our currency. unsure.gif

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/MacDonald+Canadian+loonie+looks+mighty+appealing+tiny+troubled+Iceland/6259941/story.html#ixzz1oNdS1Sje

Not sure how interesting this is. I wonder if they could potentially become a province or at least a Canadian Territory.

They have an excellent Junior Hockey program.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pBR42NL-8qA/TUJppaJ4QXI/AAAAAAAAAC4/mPwRq_Zt25E/s1600/The-Mighty-Ducks-2.jpg

Sounds like an interesting story.