Metrication Canada; How is it working?

-TSS-

As I understand Canada has gone metric some time ago in its system of weights and measurements. I wonder how the changeover has been carried out as one of Canada's neighbours is not really keen on the metric system at all.

I understand that Quebec has always been metric, obvious reasons really, but how has the rest of Canada coped? Surely, if someone asks you how tall you are you don't say 180 cms or so but feet and inches. Surely, if someone asks how much you weigh, you don't think in kg's, or do you, but in pounds.

What about temperatures? Canada of all countries is a perfect example how the fahrenheit-degree is just rubbish. For the very practical reasons when it is cold it is cleverer to say the temperature is minus something than some 10-15 degrees according to the F-scale.

Edited by -TSS-

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

As I understand Canada has gone metric some time ago in its system of weights and measurements. I wonder how the changeover has been carried out as one of Canada's neighbours is not really keen on the metric system at all.

I'm curious. What does the U.S.'s system of measurement have to do with Canada? In other words, how do you think what we do would have an effect on what happens in Canada?

I understand that Quebec has always been metric, obvious reasons really, but how has the rest of Canada coped? Surely, if someone asks you how tall you are you don't say 180 cms or so but feet and inches. Surely, if someone asks how much you weigh, you don't think in kg's, or do you, but in pounds.

What about temperatures? Canada of all countries is a perfect example how the fahrenheit-degree is just rubbish. For the very practical reasons when it is cold it is cleverer to say the temperature is minus something than some 10-15 degrees according to the F-scale.

As someone who lives close to the U.S and gets a lot of American channels I have learned to be as efficient in F as I am in C, as well as Inches and CM & KG and Lbs

But ..you would be hard pressed to find Americans who know Metric

That's just how it goes around here

Edited by olpfan1

I'm curious. What does the U.S.'s system of measurement have to do with Canada? In other words, how do you think what we do would have an effect on what happens in Canada?

How do you know I was not referring to Greenland?

Ok, joking aside, Canada has a vast proportion of both its imports and exports from the neighbour and the neighbour always uses the old measurements, therefore what are the chances the metric system would ever catch on in Canada if the neighbour doesn't even consider adopting the same system?

Guest American Woman

A lot - as two major trading partners it causes difficulties if the systems of measurement aren't compatible.

To the best of my knowledge, all of our trading partners use the metric system - and we've managed just fine. Did Canada's going metric create problems within the U.S.? I highly doubt it. At any rate, maybe I've misread it, but I really don't understand why what we think would create problems within Canada .....

It seemed to me he was pointing our how ordinary Canadians use Imperial more than Metric even though officially we are Metric

Guest American Woman

Cuz I be smart. :P

Ok, joking aside, Canada has a vast proportion of both its imports and exports from the neighbour and the neighbour always uses the old measurements, therefore what are the chances the metric system would ever catch on in Canada if the neighbour doesn't even consider adopting the same system?

Again, I fail to understand why it would matter ... as Canada's going metric certainly didn't affect anything within the U.S. and the vast proportion of imports and exports works both ways.

:D

They measure kayak length in Imperial???

The fact of the matter is much of the world uses the Metric system because it's a simpler system of measurement...Everything is based on the number 10 and the movement of a decimal point.

For whatever reason,the US cannot/would not grasp this simple concept...

As someone who lives close to the U.S and gets a lot of American channels I have learned to be as efficient in F as I am in C, as well as Inches and CM & KG and Lbs

But ..you would be hard pressed to find Americans who know Metric

That's just how it goes around here

But if someone asks you how tall you are or how much you weigh which system is the one you think in?

But if someone asks you how tall you are or how much you weigh which system is the one you think in?

Feet and Pounds.. I've never heard any Canadian say they are 220 CM or measure their weight by KG

it just doesn't happen

only if they are filling out paper work for hospitals and stuff do you get KG or CM

Edited by olpfan1

Construction measurements are still in feet and inches, although distance between cities and speed limits are almost always referred to in metric.

Persons weights I've only ever heard expressed in pounds, but when buying things from the grocery store it's usually expressed in grams or kgs. However, people still refer to some things in pounds like the size of a turkey, the amount of ground beef needed in a recipe, or the weight of a roast. In any case, they're still printed in g/kg on the packaging.

Weather is expressed in C in most places in Canada, but when I lived on the border a lot of people would use F in conversation. Anywhere else I've been in the country, though, people will express temperature in C.

Liquid measurements in cooking are usually expressed in mL or L, but bottles of alcohol are 24oz or 40oz. Wine on the otherhand is expressed as 750mL rather than 28oz. People also use pint for ordering draught at a bar and the menus will typically have oz. as the measurements for their drinks.

Long story short, from what I can tell we tend to use both here depending on the situation.

Feet and Pounds.. I've never heard any Canadian say they are 220 CM or measure their weight by KG

it just doesn't happen

Speaks volumes really, I must say.

How about temperatures? As I mentoined earlier in a country like Canada Celsius makes much more sense than Fahrenheit because it really gets freezing.

Edited by -TSS-

The US has gone metric to some degree when it has had to. The US auto industry has been using metric hardware for years. Tires are the most interesting. Wheel diameters and widths are given in inches while tire widths are in millimeters.

Some things will never be metric like units used for navigation. Meters and KPH are only used in the east block and China. The "West" including the rest of Europe and the Asia, use feet and Knots.

How about temperatures? As I mentoined earlier in a country like Canada Celsius makes much more sense than Fahrenheit because it really gets freezing.

I don't often hear people talking Celsius..It's mostly Farenheit here but I am near the border

The further north you go I am sure the more you will hear Celsius

Almost 90 % of Canadians live within a few hours of the U.S so I'm sure the majority knows both

Some things will never be metric like units used for navigation. Meters and KPH are only used in the east block and China. The "West" including the rest of Europe and the Asia, use feet and Knots.

What about metres to measure waves and miles per hour to describe wind speed here just like they use knots and feet

I think we use all of those and in no order

Edited by olpfan1

What about metres to measure waves and miles per hour to describe wind speed here just like they use knots and feet

I think we use all of those and in no order

Not in marine or aviation weather reports. Wind speeds are quoted in knots because that is the unit used by ships and aircraft to measure their speed and distances travelled.

Guest American Woman
olpfan1, on 25 February 2012 - 01:21 PM, said: Feet and Pounds.. I've never heard any Canadian say they are 220 CM or measure their weight by KG

it just doesn't happen

How so? I believe the same is true in Britain.

Edited by American Woman

So it is it right to say that despite all the orders from above to not to use certain measurements and convert to newer ones, as long as people disagree it will never happen?

I think it is a generational thing. It comes down to what you can visualize when a unit is quoted. The metric system started to come in when I was in my late twenties so I will probably never convert totaly. I grew up thinking in Fahrenheit but now think in Celsius. Other things I will probably always convert back to Imperial or US measures. MPG will probably always make more sense to me than liters per 100 km.

How so? I believe the same is true in Britain.

Indeed, when I have been to Britain I have never met a person who would talk about his/her weight in cm's. It's always feet and inches.

Edited by -TSS-

Barometric pressure is another one that is strictly metric here. No one refers to atmospheric pressure here in inches as they do in the US. It's measured in kilopascals.

Something else designed to confuse us. It used to be inches or millibars and still is for altimeter settings on aircraft. So what did the weather guys do? Took millibars, moved the decimal point and called it kilopascals. Why?