• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, but you do realize that it doesn't matter which party is or may be involved, that should be investigated out the wazoo?

From what I gather, the PM has asked the RCMP to investigate.

But I think, without enough evidence, people who hate the CPC are getting worked up and assuming this is some over arching plot to rig the election.

If they keep banging the drums and the evidence just doesn't show up then the Liberals will have to apologize and it'll make them look worse in the long run.

This is worth it because it puts our who electoral process in question. The legitimacy of the current government is in question. The legitimacy of future governments and elections are also in question.

It's not an error. This is fraud.

The perspective is that some people have won seats or ridings based on miscounted votes. Ever wonder why 40% of the tallied votes got the CPC in as a majority? Something is not right here Bill, and this affects all 35 million of us Canadians.

Is it fraud, GH? As more and more comes out, it appears less and less likely there was any real fraud.

Frankly, I think both you and MadMax are just so blinded by hate for Harper and the Tories that in your minds the evidence is solid gospel from Mt. Sinai of their guilt and you have already tried and convicted them!

You already believed what you believe. You just want to pin SOMETHING on the Tories because you want them OUT! If we have an inquiry and it finds there is nothing to the charges you would simply look on it as an opportunity for SOMETHING ELSE to be uncovered in the process, because in your minds the Tories HAVE to be guilty!

I'm really starting to think that many folks on the left are starting to lose it.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/02/28/john-ivison-stephen-harper-must-show-robocalls-scandal-is-more-incompetence-than-malice/

The government’s defence in Question Period was that Elections Canada moved 127 polling stations during the campaign, which they said must have caused confusion for thousands of Canadians. Since no-one has total recall, not even Liberals, this may explain at least some of the people coming forward to say they remember getting calls about polling stations being shifted, they allege.

If that's true, that totally explains it. People may have got calls about changing polling stations that are totally legit.

Hey I'm not saying this Pierre Poutine guy wasn't doing something wrong and when we find out who he is, sure charges should be laid.

If you really think this is worse than AdScam and that the result of the election would have been different if this didn't happen then I think you're blinded by your own partisan bias.

The analysis of the ridings in question by the media. There was little to be gained in the ridings that were apparently targeted overall, including Guelph.

a works in progress... I believe the analysis, at present, is showing upwards of 55 ridings were targeted ala 'robocon' and 'direct calling'. In any case, Canada's Banana Republic Majority Margin of Victory:

a works in progress... I believe the analysis, at present, is showing upwards of 55 ridings were targeted ala 'robocon' and 'direct calling'. In any case, Canada's Banana Republic Majority Margin of Victory:

To the first, none of this has really shown anything conclusive, and to the second, and? That's the ay FPTP works. That's the way things have worked in this country for over 140 years.

One of the ridings in question was Niagara Falls. A riding that the CPC won by 13,000 votes. I'd like to see someone try to propose a theory as to how that riding's result was effected by Robocalls

Or Guelph, where the CPC lost by 6000....or St. Catharines, where the CPC won by over 16000 votes. I'll wait to reserve judgement until we hear something concrete, but this isn't looking like much of anything.

To the first, none of this has really shown anything conclusive, and to the second, and? That's the ay FPTP works. That's the way things have worked in this country for over 140 years.

Yeah but this time the Conservatives won using it.

Jean Chretien won elections with far less than 50% of the popular vote, oh and the right was split when he won to boot.

But we'll conveniently forget that.

I have to say nice try everyone, it seems elections canada had already did a investigation and what ever happened did nothing to change the results. It also seems that this has been blown totally out of porportion by the media. It also seems that the majority of people have become confused between real calls from thge parties to get out and vote. IMO This will turn out to be a problem in Guelph, and that the usual prank calls that happens every election. Still more has to be done about what did happen, but I think the media may owe everybody a apology.

One of the ridings in question was Niagara Falls. A riding that the CPC won by 13,000 votes. I'd like to see someone try to propose a theory as to how that riding's result was effected by Robocalls

While I'm sure that there could be ridings that would be affected as a result of the fake robocalls, the main point is that they exist in the first place. No one cares that a Lib won Guelph by thousands of votes, but they do care that Pierre Poopoo from Splitsville was trying to suppress the vote.

Edited by mentalfloss

From what I gather, the PM has asked the RCMP to investigate.

Harper has not said one thing about this fiasco yet from what I can tell. He seems to be keeping a low profile. Wonder why. And Harper did not call the RCMP, the ones at the call center who were calling people telling them their voting stations changed were the ones to call the RCMP, and nothing was done at that time.

But I think, without enough evidence, people who hate the CPC are getting worked up and assuming this is some over arching plot to rig the election.

And if proven the election was rigged, tampered or at least slightly manipulated, then we really need to look into this. I am really surprised that many of you are attempting at making it about one party or another or trying to make it seem like it is no big deal.

If they keep banging the drums and the evidence just doesn't show up then the Liberals will have to apologize and it'll make them look worse in the long run.

And if it is proven true? Will you still be a staunch defender of the CPC?

In my riding people are saying they recieved these calls, my con MP wins by 15- 20 thousand all the time. Alot of BS is flying around and the media is the problem.

I'll wait to reserve judgement until we hear something concrete, but this isn't looking like much of anything.

sure you will... as you continue to downplay, deflect and even deny the optics.

Anyway, this scandal hasn't really risen to any level, and with recent media coverage (this morning and last night), it seems to be fizzling out.

While I'm sure that there could be ridings that would be affected as a result of the fake robocalls, the main point is that they exist in the first place. No one cares that a Lib won Guelph by thousands of votes, but they do care that Pierre Poopoo from Splitsville was trying to dissuade them.

OK but until you can prove that this was wide spread and ridings that might have otherwise gone Liberal went Conservative because people were too stupid not to read their voter information car and listened to a defacto telemarketer instead, then you really can't call this a widespread scandal.

Keep digging if you'd like but the hyperbole is comical at this point.

I don't think there's anything to see here. That doesn't mean something wrong wasn't done. We'll find out, won't we?

You are right there is nothing, PEOPLE ELECTIONS CANADA HAS ALREADY SAID IT DID NOTHING TO THE RESULTS, THE MEDIA HAS GONE OVER BOARD ON THIS.