Why were you suspended?

Scotty

Sorry...I stand corrected. The inference that slavery was/is good for "black" Americans led me to think otherwise.

But I have a question; would you and your ancestors have been any better off in Africa given the mess that continent is always in?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

But I have a question; would you and your ancestors have been any better off in Africa given the mess that continent is always in?

Really, jbg - you can't be serious. If you lived in Africa and someone came along and said 'I will take you away from all of this, you just have to be my slave and breed with whoever I say and I will then take your children from you and sell them so you'll never see them again - but I will provide a wonderful shack for you to sleep in when you're not working from sun up til sundown and provide meager food so you won't starve to death and maybe I won't beat you if you toe the line' - would you think, 'well, I'm no better off as a free man living with my family here in Africa, so why not?'

There isn't a doubt in my mind this thread will be closed.

Why on earth would make a post to repeat the things that got you suspended and invite others to do the same? If the comments got you suspended the first time, do you think they'll slide this time?

I did not post any remarks which got me suspended. I posted a complaint about the moderation policies and that can't be adequately discussed without an example. Furthermore, I strenuously resist the suggestion that my quote was in any way racist or bigoted.

After a quick read through this thread, and with no knowledge of the specific case, here are my thoughts.

Long ago, I left this forum (a flounce) in defence of a banned poster. Then, I thought again.

On the contrary. Moderation on this forum is "loosey-goosey". I reckon that such moderation can work because the forum is so far under the radar that it's invisible.

You are speaking from ignorance, August, for you have no actual idea what amount or manner of discipline takes place, and whether it might be ideologically motivated or not. How could you possibly? When a poster ceases posting for a while, do you recognize it immediately as a suspension? Do you know who has been warned and for what? Do you know what percentage of posters have been suspended from either end of the political spectrum? No. You actually don't know ANYTHING about it.

Your posting manner is utterly unemotional. I don't know if that reflects your personality, but I suppose it must. I don't believe I've ever seen you even come close to insulting another poster. That's admirable, but not something most of us can hope to match. I don't know another poster here who is thus as insulated from moderation policies as you are.

This forum is the hidden secret of Canadian politics and on some days, I fear its broader discovery.

Why? Do you imagine there could be a lowering of the intellectual quality of posters? I would suggest that happened some time ago. The majority of posters here do not even understand it is possible to discuss controversial subjects without imputing motivation to the others discussing it, and then growing emotional and insulting.

You are virtually unique in being a poster who does not insult others in word, manner or tone. And that does not speak well for this site.

Really, jbg - you can't be serious. If you lived in Africa and someone came along and said 'I will take you away from all of this, you just have to be my slave and breed with whoever I say and I will then take your children from you and sell them so you'll never see them again - but I will provide a wonderful shack for you to sleep in when you're not working from sun up til sundown and provide meager food so you won't starve to death and maybe I won't beat you if you toe the line' - would you think, 'well, I'm no better off as a free man living with my family here in Africa, so why not?'

You people are being led down the garden path by bush cheney.

The actual suggestion in another thread was this:

That's what bothers me. Some times I think, (golly moses is that bigoted?) that African Americans are lucky now to be where they are.

You'll note it says nothing about the ancestors of present day African-Americans. So the question was are Black Americans lucky to be where they are now, in America, or would they be better off if their ancestors had never been enslaved and brought to America. I would suggest there's really no question the people living in the US today are, by and large, far better off than they would be if they were living in Africa.

Nevertheless, modern day Black culture leaves much to be desired, as has been attested by numerous Black intellectuals, educators and journalists. It has resulted in a deterioration of the Black community in the US over the past couple of generations. Single parenthood, lack of education, lack of motivation, a nihilist attitude, and an admiration of 'gangsta' culture and its values have devastated Black communities in the US.

And so I suppose you could make the case that in some cases individuals living in urban American slums, without hope, amidst massive crime and violence and family disintegration might well be better off in certain parts of Africa.

Scotty, in general, you get it. I agree with AW that few would have welcomed being sold by their own or other chiefs and flung onto ships. On the other hand, by and large, they're better off here than there.

I agree with AW that few would have welcomed being sold by their own or other chiefs and flung onto ships. On the other hand, by and large, they're better off here than there.

From the tense you are using are you talking about dead African-American slaves being better off buried here or are you talking about sex-slaves coming to the New World in present day?

From the tense you are using are you talking about dead African-American slaves being better off buried here or are you talking about sex-slaves coming to the New World in present day?

Is it really so difficult to understand he is talking about the descendents of centuries old slaves now living in America? Is literacy an issue with you?

Guest American Woman

Is it really so difficult to understand he is talking about the descendents of centuries old slaves now living in America? Is literacy an issue with you?

Is it with you? <_<

This is exactly what he said, emphasis mine: ...would you and your ancestors have been any better off in Africa given the mess that continent is always in?

As if the Blacks who were kidnapped from their country and families to live a life of slavery here were 'no worse off' than they were living free, with their families, in Africa. Evidently they should be grateful for their lot in life as slaves in the U.S. - or at the very least, not upset about it.

Furthermore, pointing out what should be obvious, not everyone living in Africa was/is living a horrible life.

Edited by American Woman

Furthermore, pointing out what should be obvious, not everyone living in Africa was/is living a horrible life.

The leaders thugs who shoot their way into power live a fine life.

Guest American Woman

The leaders thugs who shoot their way into power live a fine life.

Seriously, jbg - not all Africans are destitute, living a life of starvation, poverty, violence, and desperation. It's an insult to them and their lives to suggest otherwise; and to suggest that the slaves were "no worse off" here than they were there - all I can say is it's pure ignorance.

I got suspended once for calling somebody an idiot. Meanwhile, I get trashed constantly, as well as getting called every name in the book. Anyways, it looks like there's finally a little balance in the forum now.

Personally, I don't mind be dubbed certain names or descriptions, as long as I can do the same. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Actually, I was poking a bit of fun and purposefully left out the :P.

Sure enough, you took the bait.

Perhaps you need to go to that other thread about the emoticons and re-read it more carefully. :D

I got suspended for saying Muslims are racist but it was okay for another poster to call me a bigot and liken me to a Nazi

It is what it is I guess

I was suspended for using what I thought of as a term which means, basically, 'obedient lackey' for an ex-commissioner of the RCMP. It was taken as outrageously homophobic and no explanations to the contrary were accepted. Certainly the origins of the word, way back when, were definitely linked to homosexuality but it really became more of a colloquialism for what we'd now call being someone's bitch. Which, come to think of it, also has homosexual origins.

Oh, and I was suspended for being insulting to the learned tribal leadership of Attawapiskat.

Edited by Argus

I was never suspended here. However, I was banned on Rabble for being to their left politically. Specifically I advocated legalization of marriage among any four mammals, as long as one was a human over 14. I was banned from another site because of a rumor that I was part of a "cabal" of "U.S. Democrats" to seize the site.

However, I was banned on Rabble for being to their left politically. Specifically I advocated legalization of marriage among any four mammals, as long as one was a human over 14.

yes, and when you recently brought this same gem forward on MLW you were asked to offer comment on the social value of such a, uhhh... liberated, ya, liberated viewpoint. You have avoided answering that same request now, several times... since you have chosen to, once again, highlight your self-expressed advocacy, once again, what social value do you see it having/bringing forward?

yes, and when you recently brought this same gem forward on MLW you were asked to offer comment on the social value of such a, uhhh... liberated, ya, liberated viewpoint. You have avoided answering that same request now, several times... since you have chosen to, once again, highlight your self-expressed advocacy, once again, what social value do you see it having/bringing forward?

Freedom, pure and simple.

Freedom, pure and simple.

as you no doubt recall, the original line of question was in the context of a contributing value-add to society. You chose to equate your mocking/ridiculous 4-mammal marrying idiocy to 2-persons engaged in a pursuit for same-sex marriage.

again, what contributing value-add to society would your 4-mammal marriage include?

again, what contributing value-add to society would your 4-mammal marriage include?
Are you really saying people can't love their dogs? And does it depend on the gender of the dog? That is the worst kind of discrimination. And if someone wants a romp in the hay with a goat is that so bad?

You'll note it says nothing about the ancestors of present day African-Americans. So the question was are Black Americans lucky to be where they are now, in America, or would they be better off if their ancestors had never been enslaved and brought to America. I would suggest there's really no question the people living in the US today are, by and large, far better off than they would be if they were living in Africa.

What makes you think that present day Africa would look anything like it does today if it weren't for the imperial ambitions of Europeans and institutionalized slavery? It's comparison that's impossible to make. It's racist because it presumes that Africans are incapable of having a thriving culture and society on their own and it ignores the effect that European interference had on their societies. You can twist it any way you want, but the tone of your post is paternalistic and condescending to Africans and the entire diaspora of those who've been alienated from their roots.

Guest Derek L

I got suspended for saying Muslims are racist but it was okay for another poster to call me a bigot and liken me to a Nazi

It is what it is I guess

How did you get suspended after only joining the forum today?