Boats

Anyone own a boat?

What kind? Powered? Sail?

What do you use it for? Water skiing? Fishing? Racing? Freshwater? Saltwater?

-----------------------------

I have a Boston Whaler Montauk 17.

Powered by a 90 HP Yamaha and a 9.9 HP kicker.

I mostly use it for fishing out in the ocean. Also to get around... sight-seeing... camping... It's a great little boat!

Here's a picture from Wiki (that's not me on the boat with the grin):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boston_Whaler.jpg

Although that isn't my boat, the layout is nearly identical. It has the rails and the wooden door into the console. The seat is slightly different. I don't have the seat up front because I need the deck space, but I have an extra seat right behind the driver's.

Edited by The_Squid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do, a couple of them but none of them new.

Powerboat is a Grew Chris Craft with 3.0L I/O that is gem to work on....only because there are no computers no fule injection. Looks, and actually is, just an old style car engine. Carb wires piston and belts and water pump.

For a guy w no mechanical training at all, I can work on it and fix it. Well....or so I thought until a spark plug blew out of the engine while I was testing repairs I made. (if anyones had that happen , imagine at 5 oclock in the middle of the lake with the engine cover off-scared me shinola-less)

Canoes, one fibreglass (ugh) and one an antique, 1912 Canvas Cedar strip that I picked up dirt cheap since neither one of us knew its rare value.

Windsurfers galore....but again, older ones.

Just use them for recreation,very little skiiing, but more tubing with the kids, cruises at night, that sort of thing.

Powerboat is a Grew Chris Craft

Chris Craft made beautiful boats! Especially the really old wooden ones....

What size of Grew do you have? Those are nice.... cuddy cabin?

I have a canoe as well... 17' Clipper. Fairly new.

And I have a little Lund 14' for lake fishing... I used it on the ocean for fishing but found it too small and unsafe for the conditions I was going out in.

Chris Craft made beautiful boats! Especially the really old wooden ones....

What size of Grew do you have? Those are nice.... cuddy cabin?

I have a canoe as well... 17' Clipper. Fairly new.

And I have a little Lund 14' for lake fishing... I used it on the ocean for fishing but found it too small and unsafe for the conditions I was going out in.

19 foot bow rider. Im on the inland waterways and very little need for a cuddy cabin excpet as extra sleeping quarters.

Sadly it isnt the wooden ones, very nice boats and quite a few antique boats on my lake. They only go out after 6 when the waters calm and the Police are off the lake.....cuz they almost always have a glass of wine when cruising.

Love the sound they make too !

Always thinking about a little aluminum boat but damn if I cant fish off mine just as well. Dock space is my killer though.I have to leave one side of the dock open at all times for the kids etc. If I need a Lund or similar type, I just go take one of my many neighbours. They dont use theirs. Fair trade, they always want me to wield my chainsaw on some tree for them .

Yeah, 14 ft on sea swells.....are you nuts? Even a calm day at sea can swamp that thing let alone some of the wash from large boats.

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand

Guest American Woman

They only go out after 6 when the waters calm and the Police are off the lake.....cuz they almost always have a glass of wine when cruising.

You can't drink wine/beer/etc. while boating?

Edited by American Woman

On a bigger vessel that has a dedicated crew the rules are different. People who aren't the crew can drink.

On smaller boats it is a gray area.... essentially the same rules apply as a vehicle. However, like some vehicles (motorhomes, campers and such) while the rules don't change the enforcement does.

If you have a small boat like mine you probably would be busted for open alcohol even if the pilot is not drinking.

If you have a 30 foot boat (or larger) with a cabin, you are less likely to be busted for open alcohol...

Plus, on busy lakes in the summer the enforcement is ramped up. On the ocean where we go it is too much area for that kind of enforcement until you get within spitting distance of a major boat ramp or marina.

Edited by The_Squid

Nooooo....same law applies as if you were driving a car.

Impaired boater driving = impaired car driver.

The open alcohol falls under the Liquor Licence Act , the impairment falls under the Criminal Code. Lose your DL for 3 months minimum and have your auto insurance get cancelled and your rates thru the roof.

Rules here state you must have (for boats under 15M and powered by engine)

-a bailer of some sort. ( a shoe will work)

-15 metres of floating line

-sounding device (human powered)whistle etc.

-floating flashlight (must float)

-fire extinguisher

-life jacket for each person on board ( no limit to # of people on board though)

-paddle or oar

-lights if navigating after dark

-no waterskiing 1/2 hr before sunset, until a half hour after sunrise.

-no one under 16 can operate a PWC.

-up to 14 yr olds are limited to 40HP or less-

-14+ any horsepower boat.

-anytime anywhere you are within 30M of a shore, be it river lake or anywhere else, speed limit of 9KPH, normally called a "NO Wake " zone.

Thats about it for inland waterways.

Oh, and one must possess a boat licence unless....

-you rent the boat (huh? :blink:

-you are American , allowed 60 days consecutive use of our lakes , but on that 61st day you have to have a licence. Hmmmmm...lets see, July has 31 days and August has 31 days and that equals 62 , phew cutting it close ;)

Edited by guyser

On a bigger vessel that has a dedicated crew the rules are different. People who aren't the crew can drink.

On smaller boats it is a gray area.... essentially the same rules apply as a vehicle. However, like some vehicles (motorhomes, campers and such) while the rules don't change the enforcement does.

I think the rule here is unless you have a head, and are tied to a private dock and the engine is shut off you can cosume booze since you are presumed to be there over night.

Smaller boats there is no leeway, the larger the boat the less since some of them have dedicated cockpits areas apart from the rest of the people.

Nooooo....same law applies as if you were driving a car.

Impaired boater driving = impaired car driver.

The open alcohol falls under the Liquor Licence Act , the impairment falls under the Criminal Code. Lose your DL for 3 months minimum and have your auto insurance get cancelled and your rates thru the roof.

Rules here state you must have (for boats under 15M and powered by engine)

-a bailer of some sort. ( a shoe will work)

-15 metres of floating line

-sounding device (human powered)whistle etc.

-floating flashlight (must float)

-fire extinguisher

-life jacket for each person on board ( no limit to # of people on board though)

-paddle or oar

-lights if navigating after dark

-no waterskiing 1/2 hr before sunset, until a half hour after sunrise.

-no one under 16 can operate a PWC.

-anytime anywhere you are within 30M of a shore, be it river lake or anywhere else, speed limit of 9KPH, normally called a "NO Wake " zone.

Thats about it for inland waterways.

Plus the boater card....

see ETA on original

ETA: did you know just the Operator Card is not enough but you must have picture ID to confirm that you are the holder of the Operatore Card?

It's all a bit goofy. Rentals exclude you from needing a boater operator card??? And foreigners don't need one?

I don't necessarily disagree with the concept. It forces people to go through the manual at least once in their life... but it should be a bit more rigorous.

It's all a bit goofy. Rentals exclude you from needing a boater operator card??? And foreigners don't need one?

Under pressure from the Marina industry an allowance was made for renters.

As long as the rentee has a rentor undergo a rigorous dockside checklist , then they are good to go.

I have used boats all my life since I was about 7. That some schlep who never saw a boat can use the same waterways as I legally makes no sense. I knew more about boats at age 8 than this guy will ever know.

Anyhow, it is the law.

I don't necessarily disagree with the concept. It forces people to go through the manual at least once in their life... but it should be a bit more rigorous.

It should be a ton more rigorous, however it is evident it was a cash grab substituting for an education.

And here is the kicker, even though Transport Canada issues the licence, should you lose said licence, you must contact the original issuer for a replacement.

Wanna bet half the issuers are gone in 10 yrs?

So, take the test from Canadian Yachting or some large entity like that. Less chance of vanishing.

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman

All very interesting. We can't operate a boat intoxicated where I live, but alcohol isn't prohibited, and those of us not operating the boat can drink all we want. We've been stopped by the sheriff for routine checks and don't hide the evidence, and it's never been a problem. I just assumed everyone took a cooler on board.

All very interesting. We can't operate a boat intoxicated where I live, but alcohol isn't prohibited, and those of us not operating the boat can drink all we want. We've been stopped by the sheriff for routine checks and don't hide the evidence, and it's never been a problem. I just assumed everyone took a cooler on board.

Lots of people still do. And in many cases observing the operator and seeing the person calm and in control may allow a pass of alcohol tickets for open booze on board.

Like lots of things, the calm quiet individual who may be sipping a beer gets overlooked purposely, the loud idiot waving a beer can around gets the attention.

Same as in Provincial Parks. There is a ban on booze most places, however the Park Rangers are blind if you are quiet about it and not bothering anyone.

see ETA on original

Whoops... sorry.

ETA: did you know just the Operator Card is not enough but you must have picture ID to confirm that you are the holder of the Operatore Card?

You should see the new system for the outdoors (hunting & fishing) card. It was fine before, but I bet the licenses cost 10X what the old system was. Talk about a waste.

Edited by Shakeyhands

You should see the new system for the outdoors (hunting & fishing) card. It was fine before, but I bet the licenses cost 10X what the old system was. Talk about a waste.

Seesm they are all cash grabs, little in the way of education but made to seem that they are.

hey wait a sec....what happening withe the fishing cards? Can I still buy a weekend licence?

Seesm they are all cash grabs, little in the way of education but made to seem that they are.

hey wait a sec....what happening withe the fishing cards? Can I still buy a weekend licence?

Not sure on that, I have an H1 outdoors card (fishing & hunting w/ gun) you used to get a sticker to affix to the back of the card, now you get these big yellow tickets, which I'm told are the same material as the new $100 bill, for each of your licenses. You have to carry them PLUS the outdoors card with you when out.

I won't even get going on the new computer system to issue them. Most retailers are giving up on selling licenses because of the hassle.

Silly waste of money.

That's the truth. I never made more money running my own then when I ran someone else's. My boat is a 32' Albion hull on blocks out in back, its a works in progress.

I'm still out on the water more often than not though. Boats are so much fun I run them for a living.

Night bite smiley...halcyon days I tell's ya.

Dogfishermen are the only commercial fishermen sporties don't seem to mind

Sealions like us too. (Look who's up on the bow.)

So much for taking the short cut home.

Edited by eyeball

You have some incredible scenery daily ! I am envious.

Is that you piloting the Titan w the red coat?

Yes, a friend took the shot. I recommend them in lieu of a new sports car and girlfriend should you ever have a midlife crisis.

The red coat is actually a full length cruiser suit.

yup... have a share with a couple of buds in a tropics dive-op : a 38' Munson Hammerhead and a smallish Boston Whaler - a money pit where we just seem to always be in 'break even' mode. Whatever... it was never about making money, or running a cattle-boat, anyways!