Boats

Two happiest days in a boat owner's life - the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. Or so I hear.

Common refrain.

But I am quite happy when I know the boat is being delivered. (I dont own a trailer, pain in the ass and have someone haul it away and bring it back)

The day bI deliver it to the marina for pull out is a sad day, it means I am done w the cottage for the year and can no longer go for a slow cruise around the lake. Typically I take it out in November so not much cruising available anyhow.

That I can fix most things myself, despite having two left thumbs, helps me stay away from that sentiment.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're lucky out here ... I use my boat 12 months of the year out in the salt-chuck! Although it has been a bit difficult to get out the last month or so... weather... work... and fixing crap at the house have been taking up all my free time!

This weekend they are calling for light winds in the strait... perfect!

My fleet from fastest to slowest...

Campion Allante 18 200HP Vortec mercuiser.

Peterson 36 (20 year old fibreglass sailboat)

Zodiac 14 with 4HP OB.

Coleman Canoe

Argo Avenger (amphibious).

Im about one boat away from my wife packing up her shit and heading down to see the nearest family lawyer :lol:

Naw, she'll see the lawyer for buying a Coleman Tugboat Canoe ;)

Indestructible.....but also a total pig in the water.

Man... Thats cold... ripping my canoe! :P

Youre partially right though. Its not one of the old heavy ones at least... but it tracks very poorly, and IS awkward to paddle. Especially down river.

Man... Thats cold... ripping my canoe! :P

Youre partially right though. Its not one of the old heavy ones at least... but it tracks very poorly, and IS awkward to paddle. Especially down river.

Does it have the aluminum tubing frame?

Tracks like crap cuz it has the flexible bottom. But if you have kids and rocks, it beats the hell out of buying a new canoe every other year.

I dont let kids anywhere near my antique canoe. Just cannot afford to. The yellow fibreglass one, knock yourself out on.

Anyone own a boat?

What kind? Powered? Sail?

What do you use it for? Water skiing? Fishing? Racing? Freshwater? Saltwater?

You own a boat?

You'd be better off to dig a hole in the ground and pour money in. Another suggestion is to attach your boat to your car and drive to the middle of the Sahara desert. Then, ask yourself why you bought a boat.

Several years ago, I was in Halifax in the summer and I had a walk along the harbour. There was one of those mammoth private yachts in port with a young guy, tanned and straight teeth, in impeccable whites standing at the gangway. He answered questions about the boat: Length, port of registry, speed, etc. When I asked him who owned the boat, he answered politely that he couldn't divulge that information.

IMHO, unless you're insane or can afford a guy in whites at the gangplank, you shouldn't have a boat.

Coleman Canoe
A canoe OTOH... well, a canoe is not really a boat. Edited by August1991

Tracks like crap cuz it has the flexible bottom. But if you have kids and rocks, it beats the hell out of buying a new canoe every other year.

I dont let kids anywhere near my antique canoe. Just cannot afford to. The yellow fibreglass one, knock yourself out on.

Nothing beats a fibreglass canoe. If you get a hole, you just patch it (or not, and live with the leakage). The old fibreglass ones are kinda heavy. Aluminum is too complicated, fancy. Cedar? They look great as decoration on the wall of a resort.

Yup tube frame. Looks the same as this one here.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/16_ft_coleman_canoe_285_melrose_26810291.jpg

And yup... tracks poorly because the bottom is flexible, too flat, and has a super shallow skeg. That makes it pretty nice for fishing though because its stable.

Also... it was a 200 dollar spend used.

Its a bargain basement boat, but I like it because I use it mostly on the river searching for cutthroat holes, and its constantly in contact with the rocky bottom in shallow spots, down rapids etc.

Edited by dre

Nothing beats a fibreglass canoe. If you get a hole, you just patch it (or not, and live with the leakage). The old fibreglass ones are kinda heavy. Aluminum is too complicated, fancy. Cedar? They look great as decoration on the wall of a resort.

My canvas cedar tracks amazingly, was built to last (obviously) and is incredibly smooth to paddle. Its only downside is rocks but any canoeist worth his salt should be able to avoid them for the most part.

The next one will be a kevlar.

You'd be better off to dig a hole in the ground and pour money in.

naww... Boston Whaler with a Yamaha 90. I probably have the least maintenance boat around! <knocks on wood>

Only needs a couple minor things... rewire the nav lights... fill some screw holes where I changed the seat configuration...

The Whaler has served me well.... I went and drooled over their new models at the boat-show in Vancouver on the weekend... but to get a new one I would need to win the lottery first!!

Nothing beats a fibreglass canoe.

Clipper had one of their ultralight Kevlar canoes at the Boat Show! Ridiculously light!!

Yup tube frame. Looks the same as this one here.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/16_ft_coleman_canoe_285_melrose_26810291.jpg

And yup... tracks poorly because the bottom is flexible, too flat, and has a super shallow skeg. That makes it pretty nice for fishing though because its stable.

Also... it was a 200 dollar spend used.

Its a bargain basement boat, but I like it because I use it mostly on the river searching for cutthroat holes, and its constantly in contact with the rocky bottom in shallow spots, down rapids etc.

For $200 and a summer full of fun for the kids, it is a great deal, pig or not.

That pic is exactly what I thought, except I expected it in red. ;)

Clipper had one of their ultralight Kevlar canoes at the Boat Show! Ridiculously light!!

And if you are one to portage , as I am through Algonquin Park (longest is 4400m) you really appreciate the lightness of kevlar.

60 lbs may not seem like a lot, but half an hour in the bush with it on your shoulders is plenty hard.

• 1 year later...

You can't drink wine/beer/etc. while boating?

Yes and no, there are many restrictions in place now compared to even a decade ago. I recall in my teens when my dad and I went fishing, he would have a few beers with him. Now unless you are stationary for some time, or have a large party boat , that might be allowable. But almost the same restrictions as a car, no drinking and driving.

Yes and no, there are many restrictions in place now compared to even a decade ago. I recall in my teens when my dad and I went fishing, he would have a few beers with him. Now unless you are stationary for some time, or have a large party boat , that might be allowable. But almost the same restrictions as a car, no drinking and driving.

I am of the opinion that as long as you are not impaired, having a beer or two while fishing is perfectly acceptable.

I am of the opinion that as long as you are not impaired, having a beer or two while fishing is perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable by your standards but in all cases in this country illegal (certainly Ont) unless and except

1) anchored-tied up or hard aground

2) has cooking sleeping and sanitation aboard

And yes....that means for the avg fisherman or person with an inland lake boat, any alcohol on board is illegal. Criminal code violation if caught w .08 , lose of licence and also if .05 a three day suspension.

Acceptable by your standards but in all cases in this country illegal (certainly Ont) unless and except

1) anchored-tied up or hard aground

2) has cooking sleeping and sanitation aboard

And yes....that means for the avg fisherman or person with an inland lake boat, any alcohol on board is illegal. Criminal code violation if caught w .08 , lose of licence and also if .05 a three day suspension.

Luckily, it's a big ocean! ;) I'm harder to find than the inland lake boaters!

That would certainly help in avoiding detection, for the most part. But plenty of lakes up north have no police presence nor access.

I don't know about the cops, but fishery officers aren't overly concerned with people having a beer while fishing if they are being responsible. They realize the pettiness and are often boaters/sports fishers themselves, so can relate to having a brewsky while fishing.

And coast guard has no enforcement powers... they occasionally check life jackets, but have no recourse except to call the cops if there is an issue.

Cops are rarely seen on the ocean, although I have had some interactions with them while working on the water myself. But even then, they weren't checking random boats for violations but focused on finding someone of interest and/or SAR at the time.

Occasionally I've heard that they do boat ramp checks... but that's very rare I think...

Land the boat and have a beach fire, cook some seafood and a drink couple beers is the best way to spend a day!!

I didnt know that Fishery /CG had no powers that extended to liquor. Learn new every day.

Land the boat on a beach? Yea about that.....hard to do around these parts. One has to get waaaay up north where crown land lives and thrives to be able to do that. Anywhere else and owners will boot you off.

The ocean allows one to hide...I like it....except to swim.

Land the boat on a beach? Yea about that.....hard to do around these parts. One has to get waaaay up north where crown land lives and thrives to be able to do that. Anywhere else and owners will boot you off.

What parts are those? You can land virtually anywhere you want below the highest tide mark on the coast. In almost every case it would be illegal to try to stop you.

Edited by eyeball