Romney McCain Ticket

Indiana was a right to work state in the 50s it lasted 8 years. Maybe this time it will be shorter. Either way Republicans are spending their political capital and in doing so are handing Obama this election.

It's ok. Obama ain't winning Indiana this year anyways.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it time he is polling ahead of Romney in Missouri a state he lost to McCain, everyday this map seems bluer and bluer.

That's not true. In fact, gallup is showing big problems for him. So you're 100% right, except the complete opposite.

Obama Approval Ratings Down in Most States

Gallup

Btw, he's got a 40% approval rating and a 52% disapproval rating in Indiana.

Really? Because Gallup has him at 36% approval in Missouri. Yikes!

And yet PPP has him leading the state as of yesterday. Tells you how much people in Missouri like Romney. I know it is early but you want to talk about the map we can, I mean Romney is behind in a lot of states. I guess the Republicans are hoping the SuperPacs bring those numbers around, or when they focus their guns after Super Tuesday the tide will turn because right now I don't even see a path for Romney.

BTW Obamas approval rating is positive for the first time in like a year and still improving Shady. It is looking more and more like 96 and less and less like 80. Which is still a mixed bag because the Republicans won the house in 96.

Edited by punked

BTW Obamas approval rating is positive for the first time in like a year and still improving Shady. It is looking more and more like 96 and less and less like 80. Which is still a mixed bag because the Republicans won the house in 96.

We'll see how his approval rating is after the primary is over and the attention focuses to him and his horrible record. And once the ads start hitting the airwaves.

We'll see how his approval rating is after the primary is over and the attention focuses to him and his horrible record. And once the ads start hitting the airwaves.

We will see but if he builds up enough steam and banks enough money the Republicans even if they can win might run of time. Obama's approval numbers are bad, Mitts are crazy bad.

Edited by punked

Many times the VP pick of a moderate like Romney is someone who's more of a conservative, to please the base. McCain ain't no conservative. Speaking of which, McCain's pick is a good example of that. It's also interesting that the best the Republicans could do the last two presidential election cycles was to select moderates. Didn't turn out so well the first time.

Why is McCain not a conservative? Because he's not an insane religious kook?

Who was a "real" conservative running for the GOP in 2008? Mike Huckabee? Rudy Guliani? Would Huckabee/Palin or Gulliani/Palin have been a ticket to do any better vs Obama in 2008?

Would Gingrich do any better with independent and swing voters/swing states in 2012 vs Obama compared to Romney? I think almost certainly not.

Many times the VP pick of a moderate like Romney is someone who's more of a conservative, to please the base. McCain ain't no conservative. Speaking of which, McCain's pick is a good example of that. It's also interesting that the best the Republicans could do the last two presidential election cycles was to select moderates. Didn't turn out so well the first time.

Sharkman is completely right. McCain is probably the leader of the moderate faction of the GOP, with Romney being a close #2. If I were Romney I would court Mike Huckabee, he seems genuine, is considered a "true" conservative and would help deliver the South. Rick Santorum would be a decent choice too if he'd accept the offer. Regardless, Romney would need an undisputed Conservative.

We will see but if he builds up enough steam and banks enough money the Republicans even if they can win might run of time. Obama's approval numbers are bad, Mitts are crazy bad.

Indeed, Obama has been a mediocre president but he wil get re-elected because the alternative on offer is even worse.

Regardless, Romney would need an undisputed Conservative.

Why, exactly? If Romney did pick McCain, does that mean conservative voters would vote for Obama/Biden? Absolutely not. They may not be as thrilled as they would a more conservative Romney/Gingrich ticket or whatever, but they'll still vote for Romney/McCain.

In a general election you still have to fire up and base and get them to vote, but at the end of the day it's the swing states that matter, and what swings the swing states are independent/swing voters.

I would argue that the most appealing kind of ticket would be one featuring one conservative and one liberal. Or 2 centrists. Having 2 liberals and you alienate the right, and 2 conservatives and you alienate the left.

Why, exactly? If Romney did pick McCain, does that mean conservative voters would vote for Obama/Biden? Absolutely not. They may not be as thrilled as they would a more conservative Romney/Gingrich ticket or whatever, but they'll still vote for Romney/McCain.

In a general election you still have to fire up and base and get them to vote, but at the end of the day it's the swing states that matter, and what swings the swing states are independent/swing voters.

I would argue that the most appealing kind of ticket would be one featuring one conservative and one liberal. Or 2 centrists. Having 2 liberals and you alienate the right, and 2 conservatives and you alienate the left.

This is like Bush 2004 in that is a base election, if the conservatives aren't motivated to work, and get the polls the Dems win big.

Well, tickets typically revolve around the presidential nominee (despite past moderate or conservative/liberal tendencies) moving to the centre, while the vice presidential nominee stays quite rightist or leftist to assure the base that all is well, allowing the presidential nominee to court independents that comprise a large and powerful chunk of the U.S. electorate.

Most states tend to be dominated by either the Republican or Democratic parties, but still have a significant portion of independent voters. In the battleground states, if you do not have a presidential nominee to win over independents and a vice presidential candidate to collect the base, you're probably going to have trouble. It's mostly just a slugfest for the centre, give or take a few token leftist/rightist positions as always.

I don't think it goes down too well with the average voters that Romney only pays 15% tax on his millions of income. Similarly with McCain, wasn't it in the 2008 campaign when he was asked about his fortune that he wasn't entirely sure how many houses he owns? I don't think people associate well with people who are not sure how many houses they own.

I don't think it goes down too well with the average voters that Romney only pays 15% tax on his millions of income. Similarly with McCain, wasn't it in the 2008 campaign when he was asked about his fortune that he wasn't entirely sure how many houses he owns? I don't think people associate well with people who are not sure how many houses they own.

To be fair, no real candidate to the White House in recent memory has been anything close to comparable with the average voter.. Obama is a millionaire author, Ivy League lawyer, Hillary Clinton's husband makes millions in speeches and book deals, same with Gingrich now. I think Ron Paul is the only presidential nominee close to being "average" and even he makes good money compared to your typical Joe.

Romney just has a knack of showing how out of touch he is when it comes to finances, offer to bet 10,000 against Rick Perry during a debate. Not caring about the very poor, etc.

To be fair, no real candidate to the White House in recent memory has been anything close to comparable with the average voter..

This is false....many candidates are/were quite average. Take a look at a US ballot sometime.

Obama is a millionaire author, Ivy League lawyer, Hillary Clinton's husband makes millions in speeches and book deals, same with Gingrich now. I think Ron Paul is the only presidential nominee close to being "average" and even he makes good money compared to your typical Joe.

Ron Paul is not average, he is worth millions. Bill Clinton was not wealthy as Arkansas governor and candidate.

Romney just has a knack of showing how out of touch he is when it comes to finances, offer to bet 10,000 against Rick Perry during a debate. Not caring about the very poor, etc.

Many Americans don't care about "poor people" either....very average.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

To be fair, no real candidate to the White House in recent memory has been anything close to comparable with the average voter.. Obama is a millionaire author, Ivy League lawyer, Hillary Clinton's husband makes millions in speeches and book deals, same with Gingrich now. I think Ron Paul is the only presidential nominee close to being "average" and even he makes good money compared to your typical Joe.

Indeed, 10000 dollars may be pocket money for Romney but doesn't he realise that offering playful bets on that sum on live TV just isn't very good campaigning?

Paul didn't spend five years in a North Vietnamese POW compound.

... making propoganda movies for the enemy so that he would be spared much of the misery his fellow prisoners endured. I think his captors and fellow prisoners actually dubbed him "the Songbird" :lol:

Edited by dre

Guest Derek L

... making propoganda movies for the enemy so that he would be spared much of the misery his fellow prisoners endured. I think his captors and fellow prisoners actually dubbed him "the Songbird" :lol:

Indeed, it’s rather funny that a man offered early release, but refused unless those captured prior to him were released, then beaten daily (On top of untreated injuries) eventually cracked……….But hey, I guess his captors and fellow POWs weren’t awarded the same treatment as CINPAC’s son was……

Indeed, it’s rather funny that a man offered early release, but refused unless those captured prior to him were released, then beaten daily (On top of untreated injuries) eventually cracked……….But hey, I guess his captors and fellow POWs weren’t awarded the same treatment as CINPAC’s son was……

Yeah well when your captives give you cigarettes, booz, and prostitutes, I guess yer not gonna wanna go home early!

Guest Derek L

Yeah well when your captives give you cigarettes, booz, and prostitutes, I guess yer not gonna wanna go home early!

I don't suppose you have a cite?

Alright alight Derek... Ill stop.

The "songbird" stuff is probably mostly false... the result of McCain getting "swiftboated".

I don’t care if you wish to continue displaying an immature attitude………No skin off my nose………But “Swiftboated” and McCain……different elections……

I don't suppose you have a cite?

I don’t care if you wish to continue displaying an immature attitude………No skin off my nose………But “Swiftboated” and McCain……different elections……

Well not really... "Swiftboated" is a term used to describe a tactic that can be used in any election. As for the songbird stuff, google it up yourself. Theres about as much proof for that as there is for you claim that Mr Mccain was beaten and tortured every day which basically comes down to "some guys word".

Guest Derek L

Well not really... "Swiftboated" is a term used to describe a tactic that can be used in any election. As for the songbird stuff, google it up yourself. Theres about as much proof for that as there is for you claim that Mr Mccain was beaten and tortured every day which basically comes down to "some guys word".

The guy can't lift his arms above his shoulders.....That's not the result of boo-koo luvin, smoking and playing cards for ~5 years in the Hanoi Hilton.....I wouldn’t pretend to know the guy personally, but I’ve worked with people that did…….I’ve never heard anything negative said about his service, nor that of both his father and grandfather until tonight………You want to go after his political career and some of the “choices” he made, have at her…….But disparaging remarks about a POW, that’s just low.

The guy can't lift his arms above his shoulders.....That's not the result of boo-koo luvin, smoking and playing cards for ~5 years in the Hanoi Hilton.....I wouldn’t pretend to know the guy personally, but I’ve worked with people that did…….I’ve never heard anything negative said about his service, nor that of both his father and grandfather until tonight………You want to go after his political career and some of the “choices” he made, have at her…….But disparaging remarks about a POW, that’s just low.

But disparaging remarks about a POW, that’s just low.

Nope, not really.