Face veils banned for citizenship oaths

Guest American Woman

And yet, you clearly don't know anything about it... :blink:

coming from someone who suffers from the Dunning–Kruger effect I take that as validation of my knowledge...
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitpicking doesn't address the point. You cannot walk around naked. Why does the state forbid that? Because it offends people. Right?

Not all the time, meaning, the nitpicking about moving mouth parts and physically seeing the magical oath being uttered doesn't address the point of seeking citizenship either, which for most people is probably to make more money than they could have where ever they came from.

That's a Canadian value that needs an oath of allegiance? Now that should be offensive to any right thinking right winger.

Edited by eyeball

But you won't watch that either because this is how discussions go with you. You take a position. Someone proves you wrong with a mountain of evidence. Then you tell them that they're not listening to you and they're wrong because your completely unfounded opinions say so.

Uh, never mind, you're making some other point...

Edited by sharkman

my direct family lived under nazi terror/occupation for 6 years I'm far more qualified to speak on it than most here...

Then you should bloody well know better than to compare posters on this forum who have differing opinions to Nazis!

No one who has posted in this topic can be compared to a Nazi. That's sheer idiocy and you owe the target of your ad hominem attack, and the people that truly suffered under Nazis, an apology.

Guest American Woman

....you won't watch that either because this is how discussions go with you. You take a position. Someone proves you wrong with a mountain of evidence.

Someone proves me wrong? What makes their opinion, their experience, more valid than mine?? I can give you "a mountain of evidence" that Christians are being "persecuted" that "white male men" are being biased against, that "Muslims are more likely to kill than other religions" - does that "prove" that position?

You have taken a stance and insist that it is right. Women in our society are valued for their looks. Women's self concept is based on their looks. I tell you it's not true in my world, and you insist I am brainwashed. If I don't feel as if the only value society places on me is my looks, I am wrong; I am brainwashed.

Once again. I AM A WOMAN. I am living the experience of a woman, and you think you know more about that than I do??

You offer up as "proof" Margaret Cho - you think the value society places on her is her looks - or her comedic talent? She has made the big times, and not on her looks. You think Obama appreciated Hillary Clinton for her looks - or her intelligence? I could go on and on, but I doubt you'd change your tune. You have your "evidence," after all - so I, a woman, know not what my value is dependent on, and I know not what I place my value on. Because you have spoken and found others who agree with you.

Then you tell them that they're not listening to you and they're wrong because your completely unfounded opinions say so.

My completely unfounded opinion? Are you serious? You, a man, are telling me what it's like for women in our society, I'm refuting it, and MY "opinion" is "unfounded??" Talk about sexist. That's about as off the wall as it gets.

Just as I expected, you haven't watched the video, read any of the links provided, or even peruse through the study I posted. You reply once again with, "I'm a woman, so I know better than you," all the while rejecting the experiences of many women and the evidence that has been amassed by feminist scholars around the world. You're not rejecting MY opinions about society, you're rejecting the opinions of thousands of other women and the empirical reality of what is going on in America. What I know about society and culture is supported by the personal stories of several dozen women that appear in the documentary Miss Representation alone. So it's your own personal experience versus the experiences of thousands of other women that say otherwise. It's also the evidence you've observed in your own day-to-day life, versus the peer-reviewed empirical research done at universities all around the world. I know more about how society treats women because I have read and listened to the reports and testimony of thousands of women. Maybe you refuse to acknowledge it because the reality is too cruel. I don't know. But sitting here and saying all of those studies and the experiences of all of those women are wrong because your life is not like that.... well, that's just wrong.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman
American Woman, on 13 December 2011 - 07:16 PM, said: Do you have any idea how sexist that outlook is? Any at all??

My boss is a man. His boss is a man. But the boss over HIM is a woman, and HER boss is another woman.

But, but ... they are only valued for their looks, don'cha know. And they only base their self worth, in spite of their accomplishments, on their looks. Because Cybercoma said so. What do women living in our countries know about it? We are all either wrapped up in our looks or brainwashed.

:rolleyes:

Our countries offer women the same opportunities as men. I own my own home, I have a job that I enjoy and am good at, and looks have nothing to do with it; I raised two intelligent and successful, happy daughters, and no man can take that away from me, from us. And yet to hear tell, OUR countries oppress women, so why concern ourselves with nations that legally treat women like dirt?

Disgusting.

Just as I expected, you haven't watched the video, read any of the links provided, or even peruse through the study I posted. You reply once again with, "I'm a woman, so I know better than you," all the while rejecting the experiences of many women and the evidence that has been amassed by feminist scholars around the world. You're not rejecting MY opinions about society, you're rejecting the opinions of thousands of other women and the empirical reality of what is going on in America. What I know about society and culture is supported by the personal stories of several dozen women that appear in the documentary Miss Representation alone. So it's your own personal experience versus the experiences of thousands of other women that say otherwise. It's also the evidence you've observed in your own day-to-day life, versus the peer-reviewed empirical research done at universities all around the world. I know more about how society treats women because I have read and listened to the reports and testimony of thousands of women. Maybe you refuse to acknowledge it because the reality is too cruel. I don't know. But sitting here and saying all of those studies and the experiences of all of those women are wrong because your life is not like that.... well, that's just wrong.

I'v seen enough of Margaret Cho to know she is rarely funny...

Unless you're gay or "progressive"...

I'v seen enough of Margaret Cho to know she is rarely funny...

Unless you're gay or "progressive"...

Margaret Cho was 3 seconds worth of the 8 min video posted. She's irrelevant, I was just quoting her in my original post. Her presence in the documentary is not as a comedian either.

Edited by cybercoma

She's right about "the virgin-whore mentality".

Madonna-Whore Complex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna%E2%80%93whore_complex

In Freudian psychoanalysis, a Madonna–whore complex is a psychological complex that is said to develop in the human male when he sees all women not as individuals, but as either saintly Madonnas or debased prostitute-like personalities. This dichotomy limits women's sexual expression because it offers two mutually exclusive ways to construct a sexual identity.[1] The duality implies that women must assume subservient roles, either as madonnas to be protected or as whores to be punished by men.[2]