Face veils banned for citizenship oaths

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Canada is now requiring Muslim women to remove their veils when taking the oath of Citizenship.

link

We want women to be full and equal members of Canadian society and certainly when they're taking the citizenship oath, that's the right place to start

I wonder if this will be accepted or if there will be a court case arguing that it violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Show the face or you should be shown the door.

I agree. But I can't see this going unchallenged. I also wonder if this is the beginning of banning the veil in other circumstances.

Canada is now requiring Muslim women to remove their veils when taking the oath of Citizenship.

link

We want women to be full and equal members of Canadian society and certainly when they're taking the citizenship oath, that's the right place to start

I wonder if this will be accepted or if there will be a court case arguing that it violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

“I tell you again that the niqab has nothing to do with Islam and it is only a mere custom. I understand the religion better than you and your parents.” - An old man ordering a young schoolgirl to remove her face covering. Guess who it was. Hint, not Jason Kenney.

To what end? It's completely unnecessary that they show their face in public for this reason, when it is forbidden by their religion. There's absolutely no reason that this is necessary, such that it would be worth violating their Charter Rights.

They are more than welcome to return to where they've come from where they can practice this "right" freely

Guest American Woman

that would be equal to religious persecution...

Not according to the article:

Kenney said he doesn't accept that it's a religious obligation to wear the veil, explaining that when Muslim women perform the hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca required by their faith, they are required not to cover their faces.

"It's a cultural tradition...."

Edited by American Woman

that would be equal to religious persecution...simple solution is for all those present for the oath be only women...

Answer to my question above:

“I tell you again that the niqab has nothing to do with Islam and it is only a mere custom. I understand the religion better than you and your parents.” The head of Al-Azhar, the highest seat of learning in the Sunni world, Grand Mufit Sheikh Mohamed Sayyed Tantawi

Guest American Woman

Answer to my question above:

“I tell you again that the niqab has nothing to do with Islam and it is only a mere custom. I understand the religion better than you and your parents.” The head of Al-Azhar, the highest seat of learning in the Sunni world, Grand Mufit Sheikh Mohamed Sayyed Tantawi

Interesting. And it certainly confirms Kenney's belief.

that would be equal to religious persecution...simple solution is for all those present for the oath be only women...

So how do you verify who is who? They can wear the veil anytime after, I don't care. They would need to take the veil off to get a drivers license right?? During the ceremony it should be off, after that, wear it all you want.

To what end? It's completely unnecessary that they show their face in public for this reason, when it is forbidden by their religion. There's absolutely no reason that this is necessary, such that it would be worth violating their Charter Rights.

I dont really think its forbidden by their religion. These are customs to which some muslims adhere to and some dont.

Will there be a charter case? Quite possibly. Whether or not its successfull will probably depend on whether or not theres a real tangible reason to lift the veil... so to speak.

Canadians, honest Canadians don't wear masks.

Not forbidden at all.

There is no stipulation in Islam -Koran, to wear a veil. It is a custom in some sects, but up until the 50,s-60's in very few.

There would be no violation of religious freedoms since the veil is by choice, not by religious order.

Not according to the article:

Kenney said he doesn't accept that it's a religious obligation to wear the veil, explaining that when Muslim women perform the hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca required by their faith, they are required not to cover their faces.

"It's a cultural tradition...."

kenny i an expert on religious obligation??? what arrogance...the countless christian sects each with their own peculiar quirks, what religious doctrine requires amish, hutterites, mormons, Sikhs, Hasidic jews, catholic nuns and priests to dress in the way they do, did they get kenney's expert approval?...this is religious persecution...

So how do you verify who is who? They can wear the veil anytime after, I don't care. They would need to take the veil off to get a drivers license right?? During the ceremony it should be off, after that, wear it all you want.

Well, I assume that by the time a person is reading the oath their ID has already been verified. Presumably by having the person remove their face coverings. If thats the case then its of little importance whether or not they cover their face or not. But if theres a real tangible reason such as identification purposes then my guess is the courts will uphold the ban.

Guest American Woman

According to the article, swearing the oath is a requirement for citizenship and the veil prevents the citizenship judges from being able to see if they are reciting the oath or not.

this is religious persecution...

Canadian values are not Muslim values to begin with so who cares

Here in Canada we don't kill or maim people because they are gay and when that happens here its usually an immigrant from specific countries

Here in Canada we don't honour kill people (but when it happens it is usually an immigrant from specific countries)

Here in Canada women are free to do what they want and are allowed to wear what they want (unless they are immigrant women from specific countries)

Interesting. And it certainly confirms Kenney's belief.

that's brilliantly shallow thinking...does the catholic church speak for every christian sect?...no birth control permitted for any christian sect because the pope said so? only the pope speaks for all christians regardless of differences.... Edited by wyly

Canadian values are not Muslim values to begin with so who cares

Here in Canada we don't kill or maim people because they are gay and when that happens here its usually an immigrant from specific countries

Here in Canada we don't honour kill people (but when it happens it is usually an immigrant from specific countries)

Here in Canada women are free to do what they want and are allowed to wear what they want (unless they are immigrant women from specific countries)

:lol: canadian values include freedom of religion, freedom from religious persecution...show me where it says otherwise ....if you have a problem with basic freedoms maybe it should be you that leaves...

:lol: canadian values include freedom of religion, freedom from religious persecution...show me where it says otherwise ....if you have a problem with basic freedoms maybe it should be you that leaves...

Oh please, born in Canada Canadians are becoming less religious by the year, its the minorities that are getting into the country that give a crap about religious freedom

How can a liberal be pro muslim when muslim faith in the mid east violates everything a liberal is for

Edited by olp1fan

Guest American Woman

It's already getting a negative reaction from some Muslims:

The Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations said Kenney's move questioned the sincerity and good faith of some citizenship applicants and not others.

"This decision will have a damaging effect on our democracy because it forces those who wear the niqab to choose between their religious convictions and adopting Canadian citizenship," said Ihsaan Gardee, the council's acting executive director.

I don't understand that mindset - how is it questioning the sincerity and faith of just some citizenship applicants and not others it applies to all applicants?