Romney vs. Harper

North America's Wooden Right  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I meant to say traditionally. After the 1993 election you saw PC's in the East and Reformers in the west.

Really? Can you name a Reform govt anywhere in Canada? And what would you call a 'tradition'. are you thinking of Refrom which lasted all of about a decade?

Check the demographics of Alberta and I think you'll find them no different than anywhere else, other than higher average household income. Most of the people in Alberta now are from somewhere else........ Are you suggetsing redneckism is geographical, that the couple million Alberta immigrants caught some kind of redneck virus?

Economics and accounting are two very different things.
Wow, you really are completely devoid of any friskiness of spirit.

How does that feel day to day?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wrong. Mostly what we have in the West are economic refugees from the East.

Note that Alberta has just elected a very red Tory premier........

No, intra-elections the PC just picked a new leader to replace Stelmach.

If you're a dog lover you should despise Romney for the inhumane way he treated his own dog.

The Boston Globe first broke the story in 2007 when it published a seven-piece profile of Romney after he launched his first presidential run. The Seamus incident was contained in a story about his family life with wife, Ann, and their five sons. It was meant to illustrate Romney’s “emotion-free crisis management.”

Back in 1983, Romney was struggling to cram the kids and their luggage into the family station wagon for the drive to the Lake Huron shores, where his family still owns a cottage at Beach O’ Pines, a mostly American enclave.

“Before beginning the drive, Mitt Romney put Seamus, the family’s hulking Irish setter, in a dog carrier and attached it to the station wagon’s roof rack,” the Globe wrote of Romney, then a 36-year-old management consultant with Boston-based Bain and Company.

Romney constructed a special windshield for the carrier, “to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.” The contraption apparently wasn’t much of a success, however, as Seamus soon began to suffer gastric issues from his windy perch atop the car.

Romney’s oldest boy, Tagg, noticed the first sign of trouble, according to the Globe piece.

“Dad!” he yelled. “Gross!” A brown liquid was dripping down the back window of the station wagon.

Romney calmly dealt with the problem amid his boys’ howls of disgust, pulling into a service station to hose down Seamus and the car. He put the dog back in the crate and continued the drive to Ontario.

The story caused a flap when it was revealed four years ago.

“If you wouldn’t strap your child to the roof of your car, you have no business doing that to the family dog,” said Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. “I don’t know who would find that acceptable.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1100452

Wooden? That's an understatement August. The best display we ever got to see of that piece of rotten deadwood was when he was saying goodbye for the day to his 5 year old son and he shook his hand. And that's supposed to be our P.M?

He comes off to me as that little boy who the kids used to pick on because he was so different and such a stupid looking little pansy. Now he's going to get even with all of us for what his childhood made him. This is very often what motivates rabid righties like Harper to seek power.

Now what else could motivate these people like Harper to work so hard to hurt people with less power than themselves?

Wooden? That's an understatement August. The best display we ever got to see of that piece of rotten deadwood was when he was saying goodbye for the day to his 5 year old son and he shook his hand. And that's supposed to be our P.M?

He comes off to me as that little boy who the kids used to pick on because he was so different and such a stupid looking little pansy. Now he's going to get even with all of us for what his childhood made him. This is very often what motivates rabid righties like Harper to seek power.

Now what else could motivate these people like Harper to work so hard to hurt people with less power than themselves?

Amen brother monty. Amen.

I especially liked the rotten deadwood bit.. brings a tear to my eye

Complete and utter nonsense. Your premises are all false and/or ridiculous.

Anyways. I chose Harper as being more wooden. However, that really has nothing to do with one's competentce.

Complete and utter nonsense. Your premises are all false and/or ridiculous.

Anyways. I chose Harper as being more wooden. However, that really has nothing to do with one's competentce.

Gee Shady, you agree with me on Harper being most wooden and then say my premises are all false and/or ridiculous. Like it's sort of suggesting that I said something about his competence? You sound confused on that.

Gee Shady, you agree with me on Harper being most wooden and then say my premises are all false and/or ridiculous. Like it's sort of suggesting that I said something about his competence? You sound confused on that.

Nope. I don't pretend to know what somebody's childhood was like, and assert motives related to it. :rolleyes:

Guest American Woman

Perhaps shaking his son's hand in front of the press made his five year old feel grown up and special. Perhaps he didn't want his father gushing all over him and kissing him in front of the media. Perhaps Harper saved that exclusively for their private life.

Sometimes I can't believe the petty things people demonize others over. If those doing the criticizing had to live their lives in front of the media, they'd be open to the same unrelenting, too often 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' criticism - and I'm sure there would be lots of people finding lots to criticize. <_<

Edited by American Woman

What the shallow instant gratification western consumer wants is the equivalent of a pop star.

Having a PM who is an economist is actually a good thing, especially in these economically troubled times. And this meticulous patient strategist will be PM in a majority for at least one more term. The Liberals are starting over and are still weighed down by multiple mistakes. The NDP was a fringe party with a somewhat energetic leader who is now deceased. Now they are a fringe party without a leader, and they will be a fringe party without a proven leader for the next election.

I can see why the left and center-left is so bitter these days, but hating Harper will only make you more bitter, which does you no good.

Perhaps shaking his son's hand in front of the press made his five year old feel grown up and special. Perhaps he didn't want his father gushing all over him and kissing him in front of the media. Perhaps Harper saved that exclusively for their private life.

Sometimes I can't believe the petty things people demonize others over. If those doing the criticizing had to live their lives in front of the media, they'd be open to the same unrelenting, too often 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' criticism - and I'm sure there would be lots of people finding lots to criticize. <_<

The good cop personality will usually be able to justify any kind of odd behaviour. So yeah, it could have been the little boy's choice to have his father shake his hand. But still, we would need to wonder about what causes the little boy to choose abnormal behaviour from his father when in public. I feel that a simple display of emotion as seen in a kiss and a hug would be quite acceptable to 99% of people. But for some reason the little boy doesn't think so, Harper doesn't think so, and the good cop doesn't either.

Having said that, we should be cautious about judging somebody as a 'good cop'. Sometimes it's as simple as the good cop just defending it's political preferences at all costs. We'll keep an eye on the good cop for a while in order to see if we witness anymore strange behaviour that is not within the norms of society. So far we have a reluctance to choose between a young earth and an old earth. Now that's gotta be the 'good cop' syndrome!

Now they are a fringe party without a leader,
Nicole Turmyl does them proud.

and they will be a fringe party without a proven leader for the next election.

Well, by then the bartender should be 23. Maybe she'll be good leadership material.

I did a search for 'complete nonsense' under your name. 8 pages worth. Half the time you give a reason, half the time you don't. Carry on.

I only give a reason when one's worth giving. There was no original reason given as to why that particular politician is better than the two listed. I'm assuming it's based on ideology.

Having a PM who is an economist

Ya, about that... perhaps you could cite for us all of his hands on experience working in the private sector as an economist.

You know, actual documented experience working for a business like say, Don Drummond and not some think tank etc...

Except she was 27 when she was elected and she's doing a fine job as an MP. She's a hell of a lot better politician than Rick Perry or Herman Cain

I got my facts wrong. The 19 year old was not the bartender. The punchline remains unaffected.

Also, I would have voted that neither are wooden. That wasn't a choice so I said they were both equally wooden.

Edited by jbg

Hopefully this time you didn't send out the mail to five U.S. senators yet. :lol:

In that case it was obvious which agency I intended. In this case, it is obvious that there are many NDP MP's elected by the Quebec voters who had no intention of becoming MP's and no plan of action for what they would do in Parliament if they won. How effective are these people in Committees? In Question Period?

Godwin's Law?

I want a woman/guy with charisma, who can do good. I trust the crowds to judge whether the person will do good.

At heart, I'm a democrat.

-----

Romney and Harper are both boring bean counters. But like Italy, maybe that's what the western world needs now.

Yah a lot of help it has done Italy.

I got my facts wrong. The 19 year old was not the bartender. The punchline remains unaffected.

Also, I would have voted that neither are wooden. That wasn't a choice so I said they were both equally wooden.

No one was a bartender there was a Bar manger is that what you mean? Got your facts wrong again must happen a lot with you I imagine.