Major music labels to dump CD format in 2012

It's been a year since I've bought a CD. I buy from iTunes all of the time now.

Won't miss the CD at all!

What are your thoughts?

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

You read it well. The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD-formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

The news doesn't come as a surprise to those who have been working in the business. In a piece that was published in a q&a with the Alfa Matrix people back in June 2011 in the 1st issue of "Matrix Revelations", our chief editor Bernard Van Isacker said the following when asked if a CD would still exist in 5 years: "Yes, but in a different format. Normal CDs will no longer be available because they don't offer enough value, limited editions on the other hand will remain available and in demand for quite a few more years. I for one buy only limited editions because of the added value they offer: a nice design, extra bonus gadgets, etc. The album as we know it now however will be dead within 5 years, if it isn't even sooner. I predict that downloads will have replaced the CD album within the next 2 years. I don't see that as something negative, it just has run its course, let's leave the space to limited editions (including vinyl runs for bigger acts) and downloads instead."

It's a move that makes completely sense. CD's cost money, even when they don't sell because there is stock storage to be paid; a label also pays money to distributors when CDs get returned to the labels when not sold and so on. In short, abandoning the CD-format will make it possible to just focus on the release and the marketing of it and no longer focus on the distribution (since aggregators will do the work as far as dispatching the releases to services worldwide) and - expensive - stock maintenance. In the long run it will most surely mean the end for many music shops worldwide that only stock and sell CD releases. In the UK for instance HMV has problems paying the labels already and more will follow. It makes the distribution of CDs no longer worth it.

Also Amazon will benefit from this as it will surely become the one and only player when it comes to distribution of the remaining CD productions from labels. Packaged next to regular album downloads via its own Amazon MP3 service it will offer a complimentary service.

The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news.

What are your feelings? is it a move that you like or not?

Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD. We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inevitable. Hard to buy them now anyways.

What this means is will there be a point to release songs as "albums" now, since most acts won't be releasing physical formats? So will that mean acts will release more singles are just a few songs at a time? Probably not in the near future, since releasing an "album" full of songs is a good marketing strategy and lets acts go on tour to promote the album/songs.

The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news.

B.S., they've been predicting that for the last decade and mags have declined in sales but most print media still remain strong.

The next media to go digital and fall out of retail physical format are videogames. Seen major decline in PC game sales in stores, and the rise of illegal downloads and services like Steam. Console games are increasingly being downloaded online by Xbox Live/PSN etc., and it will greatly benefit the next generation of consoles to move to digital game downloads for game sales because it will completely destroy the used-game market which steals so much sales/profit from game companies.

Umm, what's to like or not like? It's just inevitable technological progress. The CD itself only displaced the prior distribution media not that long ago.

Not until they distribute in a lossless format. Most kids today downloading MP3s don't know what a good recording sounds like. Even CDs have their faults. I'm going back to vinyl!

Terrible news for music as art. While it has been impossible to stem the tide of the repetitive droning of single-song radio hits, this is going to kill entirely the idea of albums as complete artistic concepts. This will be the death of understanding songs in relation to their place on an album within a complete story. People are already doing this, but it'll be all about writing the catchiest single hit to make the most money. Goodbye substance.

Terrible news for music as art. While it has been impossible to stem the tide of the repetitive droning of single-song radio hits, this is going to kill entirely the idea of albums as complete artistic concepts. This will be the death of understanding songs in relation to their place on an album within a complete story. People are already doing this, but it'll be all about writing the catchiest single hit to make the most money. Goodbye substance.

Im not so sure. I dont buy CD's but I totally get what youre talking about. I like to hear the whole album, and Ill usually download the jacket too. But Id rather not purchase such a crappy and non-durable form of media.

Im not so sure. I dont buy CD's but I totally get what youre talking about. I like to hear the whole album, and Ill usually download the jacket too. But Id rather not purchase such a crappy and non-durable form of media.

CDs are quite durable. I have some in my collection that are 20 years old at this point. There would be more in that age range, but I lost a good deal of them.

And if they are in digital form on a hard drive, it's not as durable as you think. Hard drives eventually fail, flash drives eventually fail, there are advantages and disatvantages.

Also I like the way the CDs look on my shelf.

Not until they distribute in a lossless format. Most kids today downloading MP3s don't know what a good recording sounds like. Even CDs have their faults. I'm going back to vinyl!

The world is way ahead of you, BC! Vinyl has already made a huge comeback! Not just for re-releases but for new artists too. In the UK a couple of years ago vinyl sales exceeded those of CDs.

Most of the major hifi box stores are selling turntables again, although most of them include a USB port, which strikes me as ridiculous. Why throw the quality away by digitizing the analog signal? Still, they're not always cheap, ranging from $60 to $500 here in Canada.

The CD never had the high fidelity of unscratched vinyl, due to its inadequate sampling rate. It wasn't until the BlueRay DVD was invented that digital finally exceeded the quality of vinyl. However, vinyl means an extra step or two to pirate, and most young lougans won't bother.

And of course, there's the return of album art!

Check it out at Amazon, or at any music store, BC! The good days are back.

I think iTunes offers the lossless format FLAC.

I've ripped all my CDs to digital format at the 320kpbs Mp3. I might just end up redoing it all in FLAC, but that limits my choices of players. The size of a tune will be about 50-60MB for about a 5 minute track.

Mp3 currently can be about 10 MB for a 5 minute track, and wav is about 100-200 MB for a 5 minute track.

True, but as I mentioned this may not mean the end of the "album" as a concept because releasing an album full of songs will still be a good marketing ploy, and allows acts to go out and tour to make money & promote the album and sell more music. Artistically I think digital gives artists lot more freedom to release hwoever many songs they want with few restrictions like the format size and cost to manufacture/store double-albums etc. An artst can release a single, a few songs, a full album, or 40 songs at a time if they want.

I'll miss album art/jackets. Reading those with the printed lyrics & pics etc. as you listen is always cool.

Aw man...I cant go to Sam the Record Man on Yonge at Dundas and browse come 2012? Total bummer !

Good

-----

-One hot wonders will make more money since the CD wont have to be produced(and return credits given)

-easier to order online anyway, comes w the art

-no more f'in jewel boxes rattling around

-there should be more $$ available to sign and record artists, the field can expand w/o the distribution costs.

Bad

---

-might just be me, but one could learn a fair bit reading the credits of an LP/CD

-one can learn to like a band for songs that never played on air. The discovery of something will be lost.

-no more got it got need it...

Oh and wild bill...lougans?...really....stop listening to AM 640. ;)

The world is way ahead of you, BC! Vinyl has already made a huge comeback! Not just for re-releases but for new artists too. In the UK a couple of years ago vinyl sales exceeded those of CDs.

No worries...I have about 500 record albums and access to thousands more.

Most of the major hifi box stores are selling turntables again, although most of them include a USB port, which strikes me as ridiculous. Why throw the quality away by digitizing the analog signal? Still, they're not always cheap, ranging from $60 to $500 here in Canada.

Wait...it gets worse...some of those USB turntables have ceramic cartridges.

The CD never had the high fidelity of unscratched vinyl, due to its inadequate sampling rate. It wasn't until the BlueRay DVD was invented that digital finally exceeded the quality of vinyl. However, vinyl means an extra step or two to pirate, and most young lougans won't bother.

Agreed....SACD was also pretty good. But all digital formats are too harsh and sterile compared to the warmth of analog. Gimme some harmonic distortion, flutter, and side bands! Perfect (digital) is not perfect.

you can wikipedia the writers and producers and google to find the lyrics

thats what i do anyway

It's not the same.....album art, liner notes, and posters were part of the product.

Examples that can't be appreciated "online"

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/08/03/35-beautiful-music-album-covers/

No worries...I have about 500 record albums and access to thousands more.

Wait...it gets worse...some of those USB turntables have ceramic cartridges.

Agreed....SACD was also pretty good. But all digital formats are too harsh and sterile compared to the warmth of analog. Gimme some harmonic distortion, flutter, and side bands! Perfect (digital) is not perfect.

I hear you there, same goes with radio. Listening to country music on anything but AM should be considered a crime.

(yes I know I walked into a trap with that one :lol: )

^old people... ;)

You should try listening to .flac, it is much better quality then mp3.

Young dude! :P You should ditch those ear buds or those rinky dink small speakers! You know, the ones you bought when your woman complained the old ones were "too big!", that you just couldn't hear with your receiver turned to '10'!

So you go back to the store and the salesman asks you what kind of receiver you have and snorts "That old thing's your problem! You need this 300 watt home theatre machine!"

And you do! The new boxes being so small have an efficiency of about .5%! They've also thrown away tons of tone, particularly the bottom end. Bass frequencies need big cabinets. That's just Mother Nature's physics and you can't win against Mother Nature! They try to compensate with "space age" cones and magnets but it just doesn't work. You need all that power to overcome the inefficiency of the new, small cabinets.

I run a Bogen stereo receiver, ALL VACUUM TUBES! It runs 30 watts per side into some big ass Fisher cabinets from the 70's. With that amount of power I could blow the windows out of my house if I turned it all the way up! And the tone is heavenly! I've got vinyl from the late 60's I still listen to. You haven't lived until you've heard Randy Rhodes of Black Sabbath on original vinyl, or Gordon Lightfoot if that's more your style, through a REAL hifi system!

For that's what this old techie believes is what's wrong today. The marketing 'suits' have successfully conned an entire generation to no longer know what real hifi sounds like! Christ, they sell sub woofers for cars that are tuned to only one bass note! Sounds powerful as hell at first but after you've had it a while it gets kinda samey. They've already got your money, of course.

As for ear buds, what would you expect from something small and puny that came from China?

As for .flac being better than .mp3, what the hell would you expect? I was there when the .mp3 was invented! It was designed to strip and compress the crap out of a music file so that it would be much smaller, meaning that when you downloaded it with an old fashioned slow baud rate modem it wouldn't take so long. It worked, but the fidelity took a helluva hit!

From a technical standpoint, I'll agree that digital has finally got there. Of course, they now sound as good as what we started off using, back in the days of tubes! Made a lot of manufacturers rich, I guess. And CD's did work better than vinyl in your car.

As for MAKING music, most professional guitarists won't use a modern solid state amp unless you put a gun to their head! That's because the physics of tubes and transistors is very different. Tubes don't obviously sound distorted as you start to overdrive them. That's because their nature means that they will first start to compress the signal, making it sound thicker and "sweeter" to the human ear. There's a long ramp until the distortion becomes excessive and unpleasant.

When I went pro as a technician for my business plan I bought every guitar player magazine on a Chapters rack and tallied all the ads for guitar amplifiers. About 80% were tube designs and the other 20 claimed to sound like tubes! There are still nearly 1 BILLION dollars annually of vacuum tubes made and sold world-wide today, virtually all for the audiophile and music market!

Solid state devices stay absolutely clean when overdriven until they lose it, at which point they can sound like you've shredded your speakers!

So transistors and stuff make good amplifiers for when you've ALREADY made your signal, as with a CD, tape or whatever! They will just make it louder and unless overdriven will not add any audible distortion. However, if you're MAKING the signal with an electric guitar it's SUPPOSED to sound distorted! It's just that not all distortion is the same or is pleasing. Tubes fit this bill and transistors really don't.

Many listeners find that tube power amps sound better to their ears than modern transistor designs. There is also some basis in physics for that phenomenon as well. Tubes tend to use what are called "push-pull" circuits, that tend to cancel out odd harmonics and enhance even ones. Transistor amplifiers use a "push-push" quasi-complementary circuit, that does exactly the opposite! To a sensitive ear the difference can be noticeable.

Enough ranting! I'm passionate about this stuff, especially since tube amps are where I make my living. To get back to the original topic, do yourself a favour and seek out some audiophile friend with a tube amp and a good quality vinyl setup, with REAL speakers!

Then come back and tell us "old guys" all about it!

PS to BC: Are you familiar with a Yaesu FTdx-560? It was perhaps the last all tube ham transceiver made. It's the pride and joy of my shack!

Edited by Wild Bill