Long-gun registry to be shot down Thursday

Guest Derek L

Guest Derek L

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2011/10/19/18850681.html

And good riddance……It truly has been ridiculous and an insult to hunters, sports shooters, farmers and ranchers………

While the order paper notice only hints at amendments to the Firearms Act, a source close to the file told QMI Agency the bill is expected to fully repeal the requirement to register long-guns. It will also re-write the Firearms Act to specify only restricted and prohibited firearms need to be registered.

Now will it redefine what’s restricted and prohibited? Here’s hoping…….

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And good riddance……It truly has been ridiculous and an insult to hunters, sports shooters, farmers and ranchers………

Oh well, it's not like Harper won't have all sorts of new ways soon to keep tabs on who you are and what you do.

Now will it redefine what’s restricted and prohibited? Here’s hoping…….

Be careful what you wish for.

The millions of Canadians who never did register their weapons will greet this news with.... indifference.

I don't think so. I don't own a gun but I think this law is simple pandering to sensationalists.

Legal gun-owners aren't the problem. It's illegal hand-gun owners that are the problem.

Why should he be careful? Some of the things considered restricted are absolutely ridiculous.

What's really ridiculous is how the things that most anti-gun control people want the state to prohibit causes so much of the gun crime that gets them most excited.

It's not as vicious a circle as much as a really stupid one.

Edited by eyeball

You mean like how I'm in favour of legalizing marijuana and prostitution, as well as decriminalizing some other problem drugs?

Sorry but I've heard all this get the state off the people's backs stuff before from small-c conservatives. Maybe you should come talk to us when YOU have 100% of all the power in this country. You don't seem to have anymore than anyone else when it comes to Harper's crew.

I'm actually all for getting rid of the ridiculous gun registry too - now we can move past this charade and straight on to gun control like we should have in the first place.

I don't think so.
I'm quite sure of it. Many, make that very many, other wise law abiding Canadians simply ignored the long gun registry, and they will greet the repeal of the registry legislation with the same response they met the introduction: they'll ignore it.

It was an ongoing problem for regulators and cops:how do you enforce a law that is widely ignored by ordinary people? In this case, ignored by both ordinary peope and criminals.

I don't think so. I don't own a gun but I think this law is simple pandering to sensationalists.

Legal gun-owners aren't the problem. It's illegal hand-gun owners that are the problem.

Was it a hand gun that killed the RCMP out west? Do hunters or farmer`s or anyone who have rifle, chose a hand kill to their spouse or some else. ALL guns are dangerous.

Guest Derek L

Why should he be careful? Some of the things considered restricted are absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly………some guns were banned because they looked scary or have an “aggressive name”………Those that crafted the laws, know next to nothing related to the subject mater….

Edited by Derek L

Exactly. A semi auto that looks like an M16 isn't an M16, nor is a BB gun that looks like an AK47 (look to a recent news report for that).

That said, I do agree with stringent licensing requirements as well as regulations regarding the size of clips that are allowed. I also agree with the regulations regarding handguns and automatic weapons, even if I don't agree with registration of them.

Guest Derek L

Was it a hand gun that killed the RCMP out west? Do hunters or farmer`s or anyone who have rifle, chose a hand kill to their spouse or some else. ALL guns are dangerous.

No a gun is a tool………It can be turned into a weapon by a person, much like a baseball bat, steak knife or a Toyota.

And the Mayerthorpe tragedy was committed by a man with a rifle......

Guest Derek L

It is a very effective tool when it comes to killing though.

Like a car, depends on the human operating it.......I own various handguns, shotguns, bolt action, semi-auto and pump rifles…….I have for decades……I got a 10/22 when I was 8 years old……..my fifteen year old son, under my supervision, handles firearms……….never once have my firearms posed a threat to another person.