Dismantling of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Bob

Frankly, I don't know what the wheat producer are putting in their wheat or if its the bread maker, but I don't like the way bread is tasting. I guess we'll have to wait for Oct 9th,2014, to see how many of those western farmer's feel betrayed by Harper.

They won't feel betrayed with more $$$ in their pockets along with a greater sense of freedom.

Edited by lukin

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I don't know what the wheat producer are putting in their wheat or if its the bread maker, but I don't like the way bread is tasting. I guess we'll have to wait for Oct 9th,2014, to see how many of those western farmer's feel betrayed by Harper.

Do you think us farmers only grow wheat and barley and rely 100 percent on the wheat board?

2) I believe the majority of Farmers and Not the government should have the final say, and then the government do as asked. This Wheat Board has been around on the block once before, and of course the biggest fear is bankruptcy when things go south. But that is the decision of the farmers. Some would argue that the agri business is too big to fail, like it did in the 20s, and then again in the 30s.

As an Easterner Max, I'd just like to say that those western farmers should know their place! Just because our farmers in the East have the freedom to sell to whoever they want is no reason why a farmer in Saskatchewan or Alberta is entitled to the same!

Canada's entire history is based on those western farmers not having the rights of eastern ones! Again, do they not know their place? Have they no respect for tradition!

Keep the CWB, I say! And tighten things up even more, to include all those other crops they've been selling in freedom!

Damn revisionists want to change everything! They should take the price for the wheat that the Board tells them and ship it to Ontario, paying a big Crow rate for the rail charges! Then we'll grind it into flour here, bake it into bread and ship it back to them, telling THEM what they'll have to pay for it!

It was good enough for our fathers and our grandfathers! It's good enough for today and tomorrow too!

'Nuff said!

As an Easterner Max, I'd just like to say that those western farmers should know their place! Just because our farmers in the East have the freedom to sell to whoever they want is no reason why a farmer in Saskatchewan or Alberta is entitled to the same!

Canada's entire history is based on those western farmers not having the rights of eastern ones! Again, do they not know their place? Have they no respect for tradition!

Keep the CWB, I say! And tighten things up even more, to include all those other crops they've been selling in freedom!

Damn revisionists want to change everything! They should take the price for the wheat that the Board tells them and ship it to Ontario, paying a big Crow rate for the rail charges! Then we'll grind it into flour here, bake it into bread and ship it back to them, telling THEM what they'll have to pay for it!

It was good enough for our fathers and our grandfathers! It's good enough for today and tomorrow too!

'Nuff said!

I would love to see the reaction of western farmers if they were told they HAD to sell their CANOLA to the CWB. Then we would see some irony.

Exactly !!!

And why is the wheat board spending 1.4 million of taxpayer's money to advertise in Ontario, the WCWG is in favour of allowing farmers to sell their wheat and barley on the open market. - oh the horror.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/headliner/Farmers-fire-back-at-CWB-with-their-own-lawsuit-133539288.html

Farmer’s fire back at CWB with their own lawsuit

WCWGA say CWB has no right to spend farmers money on a political campaign

I wonder why they are doing it after losing a legal batter over advertising last year.

http://www.benlobb.com/media_/riding-news/conservative-government-wins-legal-battle-with-canadian-wheat-board

• 3 weeks later...

oh... wait... apparently, a plebiscite was needed! :lol:

Agriculture Minister breached Wheat Board Act, judge rules

A federal court judge has dealt a blow to the federal government's plan to end the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly over the sale of wheat grown in Western Canada.

In a ruling today, Federal Court Judge Douglas Campbell said the government violated the Canadian Wheat Board Act by not holding a vote among farmers before introducing legislation eliminating the Wheat Board's monopoly position.

Breaking the law, contempt of parliament, breaching privilege, misappropriation of funds...

How much crap does this party need to step in before people open their damn eyes.

Give it time...It's only been 8 months of what will likely be a 4 to 5 year mandate...

The Dossier of Doom for the CCRAPpers is growing...

Could you tell us how that's possible in a majority situation???

It won't happen, but there needs to be a rift in the party. A large group of Conservatives will have to split off as a way to disassociate themselves with the negativity and corruption within the party. They would vote with the opposition to bring down the other half of the party.

It won't happen, but there needs to be a rift in the party. A large group of Conservatives will have to split off as a way to disassociate themselves with the negativity and corruption within the party. They would vote with the opposition to bring down the other half of the party.

I suppose it's possible,but it would have to be some sort of legislative initiative that was so onerous and kooked out that it offended most of the sitting MP's but Harper and his cabinet minions were going to try to ram something like that through anyway...

Some of these folks are dense,but I don't think they are THAT dense??

Could you tell us how that's possible in a majority situation???

large enough scandal .. angry cpc voters, rifts in parties... majorities can fall more often than you realize

harper muzzling his mps for 4 yrs is too long without something breaking

Edited by olp1fan

large enough scandal .. angry cpc voters, rifts in parties... majorities can fall more often than you realize

I just don't see it happening. He cares about being in power too much. That's why he has others take the bullet for him (ie, Oda, Clement, Baird, MacKay). The Omnibus Crime Bill was rammed through parliament, we pulled out of Kyoto (which was inevitable anyway), and the courts ruled against them not having a plebicite for the CWB... conveniently, Peter Mackay took a questionable helicopter ride at the same time and has now made the absurd claim that he's going to sue the opposition over their criticism: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Edited by cybercoma

oh... wait... apparently, a plebiscite was needed! :lol:

Agriculture Minister breached Wheat Board Act, judge rules

I find this odd, to say the least. The wheat board is clearly a monopolistic and anti-competitive agency which is, I believe, against a number of world treaties Canada is a signatory of. I know of no rule or law in this country which cannot be changed without a plebiscite. I know of no law which can stop the government from changing it, or doing away with it, other than the constitution. No matter what that law says, another law can do away with it. That is the way parliaments operate.

I find this odd, to say the least. The wheat board is clearly a monopolistic and anti-competitive agency which is, I believe, against a number of world treaties Canada is a signatory of. I know of no rule or law in this country which cannot be changed without a plebiscite. I know of no law which can stop the government from changing it, or doing away with it, other than the constitution. No matter what that law says, another law can do away with it. That is the way parliaments operate.

The court says no.

More often then we realize, tell us, when has this happened before in Canada, and how many times total?

The court says no.

I'll grant Harper the right to appeal,

But never say "never".

A Federal Court judge in Winnipeg ruled Wednesday that Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz breached the Canadian Wheat Board Act by making changes without holding a plebiscite for producers. During a news conference later in the day, Ritz said the government will appeal the ruling and will aim to pass the legislation by the end of the year as planned.

"Let me be clear, we will never reconsider western wheat and barley farmers' fundamental rights to market their own wheat and barley," Ritz said. Justice Douglas Campbell wrote in the court decision.

Canadian Wheat Board chairman Allen Oberg ... is scheduled to address a Senate committee on Thursday and said he will urge them to halt the legislation. Pushing through the bill before the courts hear the appeal would show "contempt not only for farmers but for the whole democratic system," he told Evan Solomon on the CBC-TV's Power and Politics.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/12/07/mb-wheat-board-court-decision-winnipeg.html?cmp=rss

our zealous leader is so gung ho to dismantle the wheat board why doesn't he dismantle the same process that is used by the dairy industry :rolleyes: ...like that will ever happen :lol:

I agree! Although the cost of doing so would likely be the separation of Quebec. You still can't sell margarine that's too close in colour to butter in that province!

I just don't see it happening. He cares about being in power too much. That's why he has others take the bullet for him (ie, Oda, Clement, Baird, MacKay). The Omnibus Crime Bill was rammed through parliament, we pulled out of Kyoto (which was inevitable anyway), and the courts ruled against them not having a plebicite for the CWB... conveniently, Peter Mackay took a questionable helicopter ride at the same time and has now made the absurd claim that he's going to sue the opposition over their criticism: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Agreed!

Conservatives only care about power and will do anything to maintain their grip!

Morals?Power first,morals eventually if ever!

Wow I remember after the election all the conservatives on this forum were saying that the NDP couldn't go more than two weaks without one of their rookie MPs making a serious gaff!

And my God look at what is happening now!

Harper wishes he had team NDP instead of his baggage and crew!

WWWTT

There was a vote held by the CWB itself though. More than one farmer said he wanted the right to market his own grain. Now they'll have the right. The same rights that famers of other grains already have. The same rights that wheat farmers have in the east.

Personally, I can't believe that these communist boards were ever allowed to exist in the first place. A cooperative that they all can join is great, but that they HAVE TO sell to? Are you freaking kidding me? Where do we live, North Korea?