Prohibition

The_Squid

I'm also looking forward to this. I think it could strongly relate to the current issue of marijuana prohibition. Same problems, same solution. :D

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like he is going to draw direct comparisons... I think the doc will focus on the prohibition of alcohol in America. It will certainly make people think though.... did we actually learn any lessons from that era? Is history repeating?

I loved his baseball documentary, and I'm not even a baseball fan. The man has a knack for making good documentaries..

From the link:

Prohibition was intended to improve, even to ennoble, the lives of all Americans, to protect individuals, families, and society at large from the devastating effects of alcohol abuse. But the enshrining of a faith-driven moral code in the Constitution paradoxically caused millions of Americans to rethink their definition of morality.

IMV, like political correctness and civil rights legislation, prohibition was a product of American puritanism.

Catholic states generally avoided prohibition, and they have been reticent to adopt political correctness. Perhaps they understood that the State cannot legislate morality and it should not be used to promote private virtue.

-----

Ennoble. What a word! Many Leftists are guilty. They want to ennoble the lives of others.

I am reminded of the phrase in Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago:

“Reshaping life! People who can say that have never understood a thing about life - they have never felt its breath, its heartbeat - however much they have seen or done. They look on it as a lump of raw material that needs to be processed by them, to be ennobled by their touch. But life is never a material, a substance to be molded. If you want to know, life is the principle of self-renewal, it is constantly renewing and remaking and changing and transfiguring itself, it is infinitely beyond you or your obtuse theories about it.”
Edited by August1991

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like he is going to draw direct comparisons... I think the doc will focus on the prohibition of alcohol in America. It will certainly make people think though.... did we actually learn any lessons from that era? Is history repeating?

Yes I think lessons can be learned. If we don't learn our history, we're doomed to repeat it.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like he is going to draw direct comparisons... I think the doc will focus on the prohibition of alcohol in America....

Right...that's what the documentary is about, not drawing parallels to satisfy pot smokers, especially those in Canada, which banned cannabis many years before the US feds. Canadians had a stint with prohibition as well, and made lots of money smuggling booze across the Detroit River when it was America's turn at "temperance".

Right...that's what the documentary is about, not drawing parallels to satisfy pot smokers, especially those in Canada, which banned cannabis many years before the US feds. Canadians had a stint with prohibition as well, and made lots of money smuggling booze across the Detroit River when it was America's turn at "temperance".

Our current power brokers - who are in their mid 70s are the sons of those that made big bucks smuggling booze.

I'll definately check this out...

I'm a huge fan of Ken Burns documentaries..I've seen the Civil War,Baseball,Jazz,Unforgivable Blackness (which is excellent),Te 2nd World War doc (the name escapes me at the moment),I've also seen some of his shorter docs like the history of West Virginia..

Always excellent stuff...I particularily like how ,and who,he choses to do the voice overs and how that assists in bringing still life photography to life..

I'll probably watch this one while sipping some nice Bourbon!!! :D

I'll definately check this out...

I'm a huge fan of Ken Burns documentaries..I've seen the Civil War,Baseball,Jazz,Unforgivable Blackness (which is excellent),Te 2nd World War doc (the name escapes me at the moment),I've also seen some of his shorter docs like the history of West Virginia..

Always excellent stuff...I particularily like how ,and who,he choses to do the voice overs and how that assists in bringing still life photography to life..

I'll probably watch this one while sipping some nice Bourbon!!! :D

You need a girl friend - I have one for you - her name is Betty Ford.

Guest Derek L

Watched the first episode Sunday, didn't realise the second was on last night, and am about to watch the final one right now……….Very Good series……Like, in my opinion all the Burns films….

I don't think you can blame prohibition on leftists. Unless, of course, you consider Stephen Harper to be one of them.
In a sense, that's what I am doing.

IMV, WASP North American leftism has always had a puritan smell. North American leftists want to enoble, improve their fellow man.

IOW, the modern term for puritanism/leftism is "politically correct".

----

Stephen Harper? I've always reckoned that Stephen Harper would leave me alone. It is the Jack Laytons and Michael Ignatieffs of this world who want me to do something.

Edited by August1991