The Truth About Solyndra

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although they are both guilty of crony capitalism to a degree, Obama was supposed to straighten all that out. Hope, change, transparency and all that. Turns out he's worse and America jumped form the frying pan into the Chicago firepit.

1. We need change
  2. Yes we can
  3. Keep hope alive

I don't blame him too much. He's just used to reading from liberal blogs, that tell him what to say in defense of Dear Leader.

Yes, I guess it was stupid of him to say congress and the senate. But you really consider Harper to be Dear Leader?

Edited by BubberMiley

The Republicans control congress, and questions don't end with a period.

US Civics 101: US Congress = US Senate + US House of Representatives

I don't blame him too much. He's just used to reading from liberal blogs, that tell him what to say in defense of Dear Leader.

Actually "Congress" for some reason can refer to both the House of Representatives + the Senate or just the House. Just as in Canada when one says "Parliament" one usually means the HOC though Parliament technically includes the Senate.

Maybe the only time I'll stand up for Bubber Miley, who hates me too much to be equally objective.

There was a bassett hound by the name of Waldo in my apartment building in New York City. I used to love to scratch his floppy ears on the elevator.

I admire your openness - I understand coming out is a most personal of choices... I wish you well in

dealing with possible ramifications - I trust there will be none... that enlightened thinking and views will prevail.

It shows that there are some "Waldos" I rather like.

Actually "Congress" for some reason can refer to both the House of Representatives + the Senate or just the House. Just as in Canada when one says "Parliament" one usually means the HOC though Parliament technically includes the Senate.

Maybe the only time I'll stand up for Bubber Miley, who hates me too much to be equally objective.

Nope. Congress doesn't just refer to the house. You're wrong, and so is he.

I love you.

Why? Cause he's supporting your incorrect statement? :lol:

US Civics 101: US Congress = US Senate + US House of Representatives

Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance! Frankly, I'm embarassed to not have known that fundamental of your government's structure. Technically, you are correct. Loosely speaking wikipedia and jbg accept the ambiguity.

Congress

In the United States, U.S. Representatives are sometimes referred to by the terms Congressman, Congresswoman and Congressperson; the terms are a bit ambiguous, since technically, Senators are congressmen/congresswomen, too.

It seems Senators are not often or maybe never referred to as Congressperson/man/woman. My assumption from that was the House of Representatitives was Congress.

Whenever, I find or someone points out something that I have a fundamental misconception of it is like a parting of the clouds. Thanks again. Everything I learn makes me look less the fool that I am.

Edited by Pliny

I just got a weird feeling about this ..... if anything is going to bring Obama down .. this will be it.. just a hunch.

In the end, I'm not sure it's going to be that big of a deal. People are used to government waste. I think unemployment and the economy will be what brings Obama down. There are already several states that he won in '08 that he'll definitely not win in '12. Virginia, Florida, Indiana and Ohio.

In the end, I'm not sure it's going to be that big of a deal. People are used to government waste. I think unemployment and the economy will be what brings Obama down. There are already several states that he won in '08 that he'll definitely not win in '12. Virginia, Florida, Indiana and Ohio.

People are used to government waste, and that is a problem in of itself. It's so common now that meh, why bother right?

Unemployment and the economy are what got Obama in.

I just got a weird feeling about this ..... if anything is going to bring Obama down .. this will be it.. just a hunch.

Just putting it on the table cause you have a hunch you might be right?

I think Solyndra is the tip of the iceberg. I don't agree with Shady on this one - in the words of VP Joe Biden - "This is a pretty big f---n' deal!"

We have the Fast and Furious scandal but this one goes deeper and higher up.

People are used to government waste, and that is a problem in of itself. It's so common now that meh, why bother right?

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

Unemployment and the economy are what got Obama in.

Exactly. So it's more than a little ironic that it could lead to his demise as well.

Nope. Congress doesn't just refer to the house. You're wrong, and so is he.

Technically of course you're right but when anyone refers to a "Congressman" they mean member of the House of Representatives.

while China's eating the U.S.' lunch (well... everybody's lunch), where are all the trumped up Conservative/GOP, ahem... "job creators"! :lol:

NYT: The Phony Solyndra Scandal

But if we could just stop playing gotcha for a second, we might realize that federal loan programs — especially loans for innovative energy technologies — virtually require the government to take risks the private sector won’t take. Indeed, risk-taking is what these programs are all about. Sometimes, the risks pay off. Other times, they don’t. It’s not a taxpayer ripoff if you don’t bat 1.000; on the contrary, a zero failure rate likely means that the program is too risk-averse. Thus, the real question the Solyndra case poses is this: Are the potential successes significant enough to negate the inevitable failures?

I have a hard time answering “no.” Most electricity today is generated by coal-fired power plants, operated by monopoly, state-regulated utilities. Because they’ve been around so long, and because coal is cheap, these plants have built-in cost advantages that no new technology can overcome without help. The federal guarantees help lower the cost of capital for technologies like solar; they help spur innovation; and they help encourage private investment. These are all worthy goals.

To say “no” is also to cede the solar panel industry to China, which last year alone provided some $30 billon in subsidies for its solar industry. Over all, the American solar industry is a big success story; it now employs more people than either steel or coal, and it’s a net exporter.

But solar panel manufacturing — a potential source of middle-class jobs, and an important reason the White House was so high on Solyndra, which made its panels in Fremont, Calif. — is another story. Not so long ago, China made 6 percent of the world’s solar panels. Now it makes 54 percent, and leads the world in solar panel manufacturing. Needless to say, the U.S. share of the market has shrunk. The only way America can manufacture competitive solar panels is to come up with innovative technologies that the Chinese can’t replicate. Like, for instance, Solyndra’s.

At the hearing on Friday, several of the Republican congressmen boasted that, in passing the continuing resolution to keep the government running the day before, they had succeeded in slashing the program that had made the loan to Solyndra. It’s true: of the $4 billion that remained in the program, $1.5 billion was cut.

But the real winner isn’t the American taxpayer or even the House Republicans. It’s the Chinese solar industry.