Has Al-Qaida won?

Considering how 9/11 has changed the US, in terms of raising prejudices against Muslims, polarizing US politics, sending the US off to war, raising the US debt, imposing restrictions on air travel that have hurt the US tourism industry, the erosion of certain basic rights such as Habeas Corpus for certain detainees, etc., is it fair to say that in some respects, Al-Qaida has essentially won against the US in terms of its primary objective to weaken the country?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

How touching. An "al Qaeda has won" thread just in time for the 9-11 tenth anniversary weekend. Can we look forward to victory parades? Nothing like a "spectacularly successful retaliation" victory to get one in the mood for a celebration. Especially when it's the greatest such victory in the history of man!

And thanks for tipping me off that life in the United States has changed so drastically. It's always good to be aware of the "reality" of one's life, and of course, who would know more about that - than non-Americans?

How touching. An "al Qaeda has won" thread just in time for the 9-11 tenth anniversary weekend. Can we look forward to victory parades? Nothing like a "spectacularly successful retaliation" victory to get one in the mood for a celebration. Especially when it's the greatest such victory in the history of man!

And thanks for tipping me off that life in the United States has changed so drastically. It's always good to be aware of the "reality" of one's life, and of course, who would know more about that - than non-Americans?

Well, life overall has changed in the USA over the last 10 years. It has effected Canada as well. That is a reality.

Guest American Woman

Well, life overall has changed in the USA over the last 10 years. It has effected Canada as well. That is a reality.

Seriously, my life hasn't changed at all. Not any more or less than it has during the previous ten years. Or the ten years before that. or likely the next ten years. Has it for you??

The portrayal of this as some sort of victory for al Qeada - make that the most successful retaliation victory in the history of man! - makes me wonder where some people are coming from. Not that I'm wondering all that hard .......... <_<

It does make for a nice 9-11 tribute, though. :)

Guest American Woman

Not only did they win, but the Americans helped their cause tremendously. They proved to the rest of the world who the real evil doers are. American deaths from 911 2,996. Iraq documented civilian deaths 102,416 - 111,937. All for nothing, An illegal war built on a lie.

Evil Americans! The world would be such a kind loving place but for us. And of course the rest of the world has shunned us for that very reason, and the successes/life styles they've enjoyed have had nothing to do with us - because we have been shunned/boycotted for our evil ways. (But of course the failures have everything to do with us....)

So let's not forget to emphasize that the attack was purely retaliation!! The terrorists are the innocents, we are the devil. But for our actions, al Qeada would be singing Kumbaya for the past ten years, singing in peace and harmony with the world.*

*Minus those American "bastards," of course.

Guest American Woman

Life for you may not have changed much. Collectively as a whole it has changed greatly.

As I said, not any more than it has in any other decade. And if it hasn't changed much for most individuals, it's pretty difficult to argue that life has changed drastically.

I'd say that the effects of technological progress and economic volatility have had much bigger impacts on the lives of most people than the changes of government policy in response to 9/11 have.

Guest American Woman

And for the record, that would be "affected," not "effected" .........

You see things differently when you are looking from the outside into an empire then looking from the inside out.

Guest American Woman

You see things differently when you are looking from the outside into an empire then looking from the inside out.

"Differently" and "correctly" are not the same thing. You may see things "differently," and it stands to reason that you do - how would you know what it's like to live in the United States? - but that doesn't make you correct. Which was my point .........

Then you took my intent the wrong way (and I won't respond on behalf of posters after me). I was not saying this to gloat, but rather to present it as something to think about. Nothing to celebrate; it's sad, really.

One thing I will say though is that it would seem that in the US, and in Caanda to a degree too, people seem fearful of even raising the question and questoning it, how much it costs, etc.

And no better time than at its anniversary to look back at it and its impact on our society.

Evil Americans! The world would be such a kind loving place but for us. And of course the rest of the world has shunned us for that very reason, and the successes/life styles they've enjoyed have had nothing to do with us - because we have been shunned/boycotted for our evil ways. (But of course the failures have everything to do with us....)

So let's not forget to emphasize that the attack was purely retaliation!! The terrorists are the innocents, we are the devil. But for our actions, al Qeada would be singing Kumbaya for the past ten years, singing in peace and harmony with the world.*

*Minus those American "bastards," of course.

That's a nice pair of rose colored glasses your wearing. See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil ehhh.

Seriously, my life hasn't changed at all. Not any more or less than it has during the previous ten years. Or the ten years before that. or likely the next ten years.

Have to agree with you...my life hasn't changed very much, and what did change was for the better. I wonder if these few Canadians who are so smug about the impact of 9/11 on the world (not just the USA), asked the same question ten years after the end of WW2, which saw much American blood and money expended to preserve what was left of their royal "empire".

I wonder if these few Canadians who are so smug about the impact of 9/11 on the world (not just the USA), asked the same question ten years after the end of WW2,

yourself not included, i don't think we have people that old on this forum.

the only winner after 911 is the military industrial complex. cha-ching.

the only winner after 911 is the military industrial complex. cha-ching.

The US military industrial complex employs tens of thousands of people in research, development and manufacturing of military and defence equipment. Other countries are all too glad to import these goods, including Canada. Cha-ching, cha-ching go cash registers all over the US.

yourself not included, i don't think we have people that old on this forum.

Perhaps not...but America did change after WW2, in the way of a Cold War, NATO, UN, NORAD, etc., with Canada happily joining the party, and profiting from same. So what's so different about this time around...a few smug people with an Internet connection?

Seriously, my life hasn't changed at all. Not any more or less than it has during the previous ten years. Or the ten years before that. or likely the next ten years. Has it for you??

It recently came out that an estimated 1 trillion dollars has been spent by the Canadian gov for extra security expenses related to 9/11. That's about $30,000 per Canadian. So yes, i'd say it has affected me!...as it has you too.

edit: actually it's almost $100 billion, not 1 tril, so almost $3000 per Canadian.

The portrayal of this as some sort of victory for al Qeada - make that the most successful retaliation victory in the history of man! - makes me wonder where some people are coming from. Not that I'm wondering all that hard .......... <_<

It does make for a nice 9-11 tribute, though. :)

I don't sense any anti-Americanism in the OP. His is a fair statement, and a fair question. To say the 9/11 attacks were successful from a strategic point of view, which is where I see the OP coming from, is a fair statement. This 9/11 anniversary is for everyone to remember those who lost their lives and otherwise suffered because of the attacks, but it should also be a time when we should reflect on the actions of our governments after the attacks. We will mourn the 3000 or so who were killed in NYC/DC, but it is also tragic the tens of thousands of innocents, if not over a hundred thousand, who were killed needlessly by our govs militaries & hired guns.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

As for the OP, it's hard to say they "won", but I would say their attacks on 9/11 was very successful in achieving its intent. It harmed the US and other western govs economically, dragged them into 2 large wars where they could kill them on their own soil, got people in the west to pay attention to their political grievances, and served as an excellent recruitment tool for terror groups.

Some of al-Qaeda have been killed and the network weakened, but they likely see themselves as martyrs, and the US and the west are hated more than ever in the middle east and has likely certainly increased substantially the number of those who wish to attack the US/west.