Yemen

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/08/report-us-steps-up-covert-strikes-in-yemen/

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration has intensified the covert U.S. war in Yemen, hitting militant suspects with armed drones and fighter jets, The New York Times reported late Wednesday.

The accelerated campaign has occurred in recent weeks as violent conflict in Yemen has left the government in Sanaa struggling to cling to power, the Times said.

The report, posted on the newspaper's website, said Yemeni troops that had been battling militants linked to Al Qaeda in the south have been pulled back to the capital. American officials hope the strikes will help prevent militants from consolidating power.

Great, just another lovely conflict. Just so happens that the leader is out of the country in Saudi Arabia getting treated for woulds sustained in an attack.

I don't think we need another war. Quite a lot happening this year indeed.

Great, just another lovely conflict. Just so happens that the leader is out of the country in Saudi Arabia getting treated for woulds sustained in an attack.

He's out of the country to be "treated for wounds" as an excuse to flee and save face. It was recently reported that his injuries are "worse than expected" and he'll have to stay in Saudi Arabia longer than thought. Oh, politics.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

He's out of the country to be "treated for wounds" as an excuse to flee and save face. It was recently reported that his injuries are "worse than expected" and he'll have to stay in Saudi Arabia longer than thought. Oh, politics.

I was aware of the strikes in Yemen, but I did not think they were on the scale that they are. Kind of kept quite-like hush hush while Libya got the humanitarian bombs.

Not unexpected, and not really surprised.

I was aware of the strikes in Yemen, but I did not think they were on the scale that they are. Kind of kept quite-like hush hush while Libya got the humanitarian bombs.

Not unexpected, and not really surprised.

did you hear about the bahrain government putting medical staff (doctors, nurses, medics) on trial for treating the protesters who were injured by the government?

too bad we don't hear much about what's happening in bahrain. i'm sure it has to do with the yes-man relationship bahrain has with the u.s.

did you hear about the bahrain government putting medical staff (doctors, nurses, medics) on trial for treating the protesters who were injured by the government?

too bad we don't hear much about what's happening in bahrain. i'm sure it has to do with the yes-man relationship bahrain has with the u.s.

Right on cue is Bud:

To blame the U.S., Obama,Americans, Boston Bruins fans

press A

To blame Israel, Jews and/or Zionists

press B

To blame all of the above

press C.

It would'nt have anything to do with Bahrain being a virtual Saudi/Sunni proxy,would it Dub/NaomiGlover/Bud?

Edited by Jack Weber

i'm talking about the western governments' stance on bahrain's government's treatment of protesters as compared to their stance on some other arab countries.

this is just another case which illustrates that those in power in the u.s. do not care about human rights and democracy even if they want everyone to believe they do.

Edited by bud

It would'nt have anything to do with Bahrain being a virtual Saudi/Sunni proxy,would it Dub/NaomiGlover/Bud?

i wouldn't call bahrain a proxy of saudi, i'd call saudi and bahrain a proxy of united states. both dictatorships have u.s. military bases stationed in their country and have a tight relationship with the u.s.

Yes I did read a couple news articles on that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13673299

Dozens of doctors and nurses who treated injured protesters in Bahrain have appeared in court charged with attempting to topple the monarchy.

The 47 medics appeared in a special military court in Manama.

They have been held since March, when Bahrain declared an emergency law, which was only lifted last week.

I don't think we need another war. Quite a lot happening this year indeed.

One thing I admire greatly is those peoples' in those countries' talent for self-government.

i'm talking about the western governments' stance on bahrain's government's treatment of protesters as compared to their stance on some other arab countries.

Another example of " i don't see it, so it didn't happen. Or is it willfull ignorance so that you can continue spouting nonsense?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/02/18/statement-president-violence-bahrain-libya-and-yemen-0

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/03/13/statement-press-secretary-violence-yemen-and-bahrain

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Obama-welcomes-end-of-emergency-law-in-Bahrain-1413799.php

http://www.thepearlroundabout.org/?p=138

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/?view=News&id=586967882

Another example of " i don't see it, so it didn't happen. Or is it willfull ignorance so that you can continue spouting nonsense?

you're either missing the point or purposely playing dumb. lip service by the white house is expected. the white house does not want to see the bahrain dictatorship removed. this is why strategic allies trump democracy and human rights. here is reality:

At a meeting with the crown prince at the State Department, Hillary Clinton, US secretary of state, said: “ Bahrain is a partner, and a very important one, to the US, and we are supportive of a national dialogue and the kind of important work that the crown prince has been doing in his nation, and we look forward to it continuing.”

link

despite this:

Bahrain medical staff 'tortured for confessions'

Doctors and nurses put on trial in Bahrain yesterday told relatives they were beaten with hoses and wooden boards embedded with nails and made to eat faeces. They also had to stand without moving for hours, or even days, and were deprived of sleep in order to force them to sign false confessions.

The Bahraini authorities have put on trial 47 doctors and nurses before a security tribunal, accusing them of trying to overthrow the government, though they say all they did was treat injured pro-democracy protesters.

link

Edited by bud

you're either missing the point or purposely playing dumb. lip service by the white house is expected. the white house does not want to see the bahrain dictatorship removed. this is why strategic allies trump democracy and human rights. here is reality:

At a meeting with the crown prince at the State Department, Hillary Clinton, US secretary of state, said: “ Bahrain is a partner, and a very important one, to the US, and we are supportive of a national dialogue and the kind of important work that the crown prince has been doing in his nation, and we look forward to it continuing.”

link

despite this:

Bahrain medical staff 'tortured for confessions'

Doctors and nurses put on trial in Bahrain yesterday told relatives they were beaten with hoses and wooden boards embedded with nails and made to eat faeces. They also had to stand without moving for hours, or even days, and were deprived of sleep in order to force them to sign false confessions.

The Bahraini authorities have put on trial 47 doctors and nurses before a security tribunal, accusing them of trying to overthrow the government, though they say all they did was treat injured pro-democracy protesters.

link

Those whitehouse statements, are exactly the same as the ones directed at other countries....

I mean really, are you asking for global war?

Those whitehouse statements, are exactly the same as the ones directed at other countries....

I mean really, are you asking for global war?

syrian and bahrain governments' responses have been similar to how ghaddafi responded to protesters at the beginning of the uprising in libya. however, u.s.' and other western governments' responses to those situations have been different.

i mean really.

syrian and bahrain governments' responses have been similar to how ghaddafi responded to protesters at the beginning of the uprising in libya. however, u.s.' and other western governments' responses to those situations have been different.

i mean really.

How far is italy from damascus?

What is the number of syrian refugees landing on italian shores each year?

What is the yearly trade totals between italy and syria...?

How many italians should risk their lives for syria?

Why should two completely different nations be treated the same way....?

Why should two completely different nations be treated the same way....?

those are all minor points. no one cares about italy's needs. the main point which you forgot to mention is geopolitical and the interest of u.s. and israel in those countries and governments. these interests trump democracy and human rights. this is proven by the actions taken so far. here is why the u.s. has treated libya differently than the following countries even though their actions have gone against human rights and democracy just like in libya:

bahrain: yes-man dictatorship that keeps the iran friendly shia majority out of power and of course, there is a u.s. base that is stationed there.

syria: an assad fall could create an instability that israel would like less than with assad staying in power. there is also the arab states who are urging u.s. and the west to not allow assad to fall.

conclusion: this is about 'the interests' of united states with democracy and human rights being way down on the list of interests.

Edited by bud