President Obama a hit with the Queen

Uh, perhaps I'm a little slow on the uptake here, are you making some kind of point or did my entire post not show up? I listed the incidents.

You added them in by edit after my response.

Here is the post, I think I posted then went back and added the list of points.

Yes, ok, that's cool...I thought for a minute there you were being disingenuous.

Edited by bloodyminded

Sharkman:

1. What is bad about returning Churchill's bust...and how do you know that "blindsided" them?

2. Do you suppose the gift of the DVD set was an intentional slight? To what end?

As for the others--the guest list, bowing to other royals...I don't know...are you suggesting that Obama is intentionally slighting the the Queen and the PM?

why would he do this? what could it possibly achieve? What could be the motives?

It doesn't add up.

When you look at the list you realize that every time there is some sort of official function/visit, a slight occurs.

Churchill's bust was a gift after 9/11 and it was widely reported at the time as a sudden and without notice return. Such a gift is due more respect.

The DVD set is super tacky and cheap. Taken with all of the other slights it means Obama is downgrading the special relationship the US had with Britian under Bush. This is what I've heard from certain talking heads and I tend to agree. No idea why Obama would do this, but he's also downgraded the relationship with Israel. But no other country has received the kind of public treatment that Britian has.

What speaks the loudest to me is he actually bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia and Emperor of Japan but won't to the Queen.

Edited by sharkman

But reading the comments from the CBC.ca story, some Canadians are a bit ticked off that not only do the "warmongers" get along smashingly, but Canada never got such attention from the Queen.

most people don't really care about old people who are stuck in the past. ;)

Canadians apathetic about monarchy: poll

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/06/28/monarchy-poll-canadians-628.html

I'm not so certain that Obama is a hit with the Queen. In this video, she ignores him for speaking during the anthem and then refuses to raise her glass.

I frankly have little sympathy for either of these two self-important egos.

Edited by August1991

way to shove your own foot in your own mouth. :)

your own post supports my post. you made a post in the thread and the following was said:

In May 2010, a poll by Angus Reid found that more than two-thirds of Canadians, a 69% majority, would like to see a Canadian serving as Canada's head of state, and a 52% majority of Canadians support reopening the constitutional debate to discuss replacing the monarchy with an elected head of state, [...]When asked who they would prefer as a monarch after Queen Elizabeth II, three-in-ten Canadians responded by saying there should be no monarch after her. 31% of Canadians also want members of the Royal Family to stop visiting Canada.

Also in May 2010, an online poll by Leger Marketing for QMI Agency found that majority 59% of Canadians said that they had little or no interest in the Queen's visit to Canada, while 39% did. The poll found that only 32% of 18 to 34 year-olds had an attachment to the crown. In the 65-and-over group, 46% reported an attachment. One fifth of Canadians said the Queen should stay home, and that furthermore, "Canada should sever its ties with the British Crown".

In June 2010, a national poll by the Association for Canadian Studies found decidedly lukewarm feelings about the concept of monarchy. The survey found that 49% of Canadians had a negative reaction to the word "monarchy", compared to just 41% with a positive reaction. In the Maritimes, where the Queen would begin her Canadian visit, the majority 60% registered a negative opinion of monarchy, compared to only 37% positive. (The poll did not refer to the Canadian monarchy or to the Queen specifically, but to the concept of monarchy.)

A poll by Ipsos-Reid, also in June 2010, found that the majority two-in-three Canadians agree the royal family should not have any formal role in Canadian society, and reported growing sentiment that Elizabeth II should be Canada's last monarch.

A fifth poll, conducted by Harris-Decima for The Canadian Press a few days ahead of the Queen's nine-day visit to Canada in June, found that nearly half of Canadians, 48%, consider the monarchy to be "a relic of our colonial past that has no place in Canada today."

An Angus Reid poll just after the Queen's visit found that 36% of Canadians want Canada to remain a monarchy, 30% prefer having an elected head of state, and 21% felt it made no difference to them.

your debating skills are incredible.

Guest American Woman

way to shove your own foot in your own mouth. :)

your own post supports my post.

Ummmm, I never said your post was incorrect ..... I said, "and a lot do care," as that thread indicates/supports.

your debating skills are incredible.

Not nearly as "incredible" as your comprehension skills. :)

I'm not so certain that Obama is a hit with the Queen. In this video, she ignores him for speaking during the anthem and then refuses to raise her glass.

I frankly have little sympathy for either of these two self-important egos.

that's funny.