Layton found nude in massage parlour!

Was he a councillor for that area? If yes, shouldn't he know the pressing issues/problems in his area? Obviously slave trade is a problem, especially with the Triad.

Which is worse for a councillor? Getting seen in that bawdy establishment....or being ignorant about the issues/problems in his community?

His riding didn't include that area. Simply googling for the results of the 1994 election results for Metro Council will show it.

But wait, it will also show that the member of Metro Council for that area was... Olivia Chow. How reckless of her not to go through police reports of raids before her husband went for a massage. :lol::lol:

Edited by CANADIEN

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody seeking (and keeping) a political office while crusiding against acts that he engages himself is an hypocrit. And that I would have a major problem with (more than the act itself) if that was the case. Since it's not what happens, the only thing I find interesting in the whole story is the lenght somee people will go to in order to make it something it is not.

I guess part of my feeling about the whole thing is that, even if all the rumours and suspicions are right and Layton was being a hypocrite, this happened 15 years ago. It just doesn't seem to mean much in the context of his current career.

Yep. He was trying to conceal his identity, so he used his legal name.

Maybe his closest friends call him "John" or maybe he just likes puns.

Clearly, the guy is not suited for political office. :lol:

I agree, but that's because his platform would hurt the economy. What Clinton did in the oral office didn't bother me either. That was nothing compared to Bush... he screwed the whole world.

we want the naked truth here :lol:

Doesn't matter. Whatever damage was/is/may be done, is done, and little will change that. The general public doesn't endlessly discuss these things on message boards to find the holy grail of truth.

I suspect it will be a non-issue, this isn't the US of A, most of the public just doesn't care, more than likely rightfully so.

Maybe not, but people invariable bring up old speeches of Harper from 15 years ago - they think they are relevant.

The difference is... Harper POLITICAL COMMENTS from 15 years ago are indicative of his political viewpoints at the time, and many people believe (not without reasons, in some cases), that he still holds some of those views.

Guest American Woman

Doesn't matter. Whatever damage was/is/may be done, is done, and little will change that. The general public doesn't endlessly discuss these things on message boards to find the holy grail of truth.

I suspect it will be a non-issue, this isn't the US of A, most of the public just doesn't care, more than likely rightfully so.

Ummm. I'd say most of the public cares as much as most of the public in the US of A cares about such issues.

Guest American Woman
Maybe not, but people invariable bring up old speeches of Harper from 15 years ago - they think they are relevant.

For someone who stated that his being naked isn't the issue, you sure seem obsessed with it. :blink:

Edited by American Woman

Ummm. I'd say most of the public cares as much as most of the public in the US of A cares about such issues.

Can you provide info large Canadian scandals involving politicians and their personal lives, not directly connected to governing, that have cost them careers/support?

The only thing that comes to mind is Gordon Campbell, DUI/Lara Dauphinee - Free pass. I've not often heard of somebody's downfall over something that did not involve money.

I would offer my opinion that Bill Clinton would not have been impeached by the lower house were he somehow transmorgrified into Canada.

Guest American Woman

Can you provide info large Canadian scandals involving politicians and their personal lives, not directly connected to governing, that have cost them careers/support?

Can you provide info large American scandals involving politicians and her personal lives, not directly related to governing, have cost them careers/support?
The only thing that comes to mind is Gordon Campbell, DUI/Lara Dauphinee - Free pass. I've not often heard of somebody's downfall over something that did not involve money.

Again, waiting for someone's downfall at the public's doing over a sex scandal, especially when there was no scandal other than in some people's minds/speculations, which is the situation you have here.

I would offer my opinion that Bill Clinton would not have been impeached by the lower house were he somehow transmorgrified into Canada.

And I would counter with the fact that Clinton didn't lose the presidency or support. The majority of the American public didn't think he should be impeached, never mind found guilty. Which he was not.

This thing with Layton is obviously as big an issue as it would be in the United States, and the public at large cares as much about it as the public at large in the US of A would care about the same situation here.

Actually, I agree, it's not going to change the vote, and (I'm going to say) most people don't know much about this stuff or get into discussions like this. I was in the campaign office a while ago (to give a little donation ;) and passed out some information about sending an email to TV providers about carrying SunTV - not one of about 5 people in there had ever heard of it. It's a small town mind you.. had the relatives over for Easter dinner, some are from Toronto, not one out of 8 of them had heard of it either...

However, I think this issue also speaks to the lack of due diligence on the part of our media and not give Layton et al a free ride anymore.

Can you provide info large American scandals involving politicians and her personal lives, not directly related to governing, have cost them careers/support?

Ensign?

That presidential candidate who's wife had cancer and he was "romancing" one of his staff? (Damn, I see his face but can't catch the name.) - Got it, Edwards.

Not to mention all the closet gays that ended up resigning.

Now you're just going to repeatedly cut-and-paste your own remarks? Or has this been your style all along?

Actually, the re-post was an accident. Do you know what 'repeatedly" means? I think this is a huge story and I would like to learn the truth about it, with as many details as possible. However, with our lame media, I don't know if I will get that opportunity. I may not vote NDP now.

Edited by lukin

Now you're just going to repeatedly cut-and-paste your own remarks? Or has this been your style all along?

More of the same unsubstantiated personal attack politics from the Conservatives that Canadians are so sick of. Hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and Canadians elect Jack Layton as Prime Minister.

More of the same unsubstantiated personal attack politics from the Conservatives that Canadians are so sick of. Hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and Canadians elect Jack Layton as Prime Minister.

Are you saying the Conservatives are behind the Layton story? Are you very confident?

wow seriously? A nigh on 3 decade old new story, this is the desperation level of the tories now? How very sad. That aside, why do I even care what any politician does in his free time, and further why is it anyone elses buisiness? Just a prime example of how the CPC wants to dictate peoples private lives.

So you "get" that there's a connotation after all. (so who's contradicting themselves?)

So is it unreasonable to assume Jack was probably aware of the connotation too? Is it reasonable to wonder if he should have wondered if he was in the wrong place *before* the police showed up?

-k

I absolutely get that there's connotation, but that has everything to do with the way the story is presented and likely nothing to do with the circumstances of the case. Chinatown has all kinds of holistic therapy "parlours" from acupunture to massage therapy. If I went to a massage parlour in Chinatown, I wouldn't think twice about the connotation of such a thing. When the story is written on the eve of the election with Ezra Levant running around Twitter saying Layton was "jacked off by an illegal Asian whore" that's when I might put the pieces together. I don't really want to run around in circles here arguing about postmodern notions of signs and signifiers, talking about Jacques Derrida and desconstructionism. Suffice it to say that something which may have been totally benign to Layton and Chow is taking on a life of its own now. I guess what I'm saying is Chinatown Massage Parlour has a connotation, but that connotation may have no anchor in reality and Layton may not have thought about this place in those terms at the time. In fact, given his record I find it highly unlikely that he was thinking of it in connotative terms, even if that's not sufficient evidence to say he didn't.

I agree with your apprehension though. Without knowing all of the details surrounding the incident, it's difficult to know whether or not Layton should have known better. Without any charges for operating a bawdy house against the establishment or charges against Jack Layton paying for sexual services, I'm inclined to believe that it's not the type of Chinatown Massage Parlour being connotated.