Favorite Place in Canada

:rolleyes: Ignorance is a virtue, it seems. You're not really even understanding the point. Canadian cities aren't supposed to be like Rome, or London, because this isn't Italy, or the UK. They're supposed to be Canadian, uniquely Canadian, and that's what they are. Whether or not tourists come from around the world to see them (some do definitely come for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver) is irrelevant to the point. Whether they are what Canada is known for is also irrelevant to the point. Whether or not you've let yourself experience them is even more irrelevant to the point. Calgary is not Montreal, and if you can't see that, I don't think I can help you.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people who have gone to Toronto to see the city and experience what a city has to offer - just as people go to NYC, for example; and they love it. When our dollar was so strong against the Canadian dollar I took my daughters to Toronto rather than NYC to see the shows we wanted to see on Broadway. We also went to Montreal to see the city - which we loved. Also went to Ottawa just to see the city - and loved it there, too. I'd say they definitely rate as something special.
Canada is not about cities, urban life. Canada is remarkable because it is still rural, open. Canada is "rocks and trees".

But Canada is remarkable for something else: It is multicultural. Canada is like the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Like it or not, Canada is a precursor of the future.

Edited by August1991

:rolleyes: Ignorance is a virtue, it seems. You're not really even understanding the point. Canadian cities aren't supposed to be like Rome, or London, because this isn't Italy, or the UK. They're supposed to be Canadian, uniquely Canadian, and that's what they are. Whether or not tourists come from around the world to see them (some do definitely come for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver) is irrelevant to the point. Whether they are what Canada is known for is also irrelevant to the point. Whether or not you've let yourself experience them is even more irrelevant to the point. Calgary is not Montreal, and if you can't see that, I don't think I can help you.

blindfold anyone and dump them in any canadian city and they wouldn't be able to identify where they are without obvious landmark clues...and that would apply to a number of american cities as well...bland, soulless, historical, cultural suburban deserts...

Guest American Woman

Canada is not about cities, urban life. Canada is remarkable because it is still rural, open. Canada is "rocks and trees".

But Canada is remarkable for something else: It is multicultural. Canada is like the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Like it or not, Canada is a precursor of the future.

Canada is no more multicultural than a number of other countries; just because Canada is the only country that identifies itself as such doesn't mean it's unique in that respect.

Canada is no more multicultural than a number of other countries;

A very small number. Australia, The United States...are there really many others (I'm sure there are some)? The multicultural experience in Canada is also quite different (the immigrant mix and the style of integration makes each of the immigrant driven multicultural countries unique) than in Australia, for example.

Edited by Smallc

Guest American Woman

yup all the same..., no point having a conversation if you have nothing to compare to...

The fact that you think it's a matter of "comparing" makes you come across at the "ignorant" one.

I know how you can be so ignorant you haven't been anywhere other than hooterville...all the same shitte wrapped in a different colour of paper but still all identical...tourists don't come here for our cities...

Shows how much you know - as you call others ignorant; people do go there for your cities. Just because you don't appreciate them doesn't mean others don't.

people flatter themselves if they think their cities are unique...

I think you flatter yourself by perceiving yourself as so well traveled that you are just too sophisticated to see any uniqueness in your own cities. :lol:

Maybe you just aren't interested in the things that the Canadian cities have to offer?

maybe I'm more aware than you of that they have to offer is crap...
Maybe you're like too many Canadians, and you take your own country for granted. I could spend weeks in Toronto and Montreal, and probably the same with Vancouver.
:lol: wow you're easily impressed and entertained...Vancouver-Kits/wreak beach, Granville market, Capilano/lynn valleys, stanley park, Gas town-done 2, 3 days tops and much of spent driving... anything else can be found in any major city in canada... the same can be said of every city in canada...the differences are found in the local scenery but natural scenery is not culture...
The history in Ottawa, QC, Halifax, Montreal, and St. John's, Winnipeg, and Victoria is uniquely Canadian, and deserves far more recognition than you're giving it.
our history is paper thin and excruciatingly dull...and visual historic evidence is nearly non existent...
The Canadian culture that you don't believe in - it exists in Canada's cities as well as it's natural wonders.
our culture is a jumble of blandness, an assortment of folk festivals, Latino, festivals,Carib festivals, jazz festivals, fringe festivals, summer fairs all contrived and found right across the country...other than quebec we're a nation of cultural dullards...

Guest American Woman

maybe I'm more aware than you of that they have to offer is crap...

Or perhaps you're too full of yourself to appreciate what your cities have to offer. ;)

:lol: wow you're easily impressed and entertained...Vancouver-Kits/wreak beach, Granville market, Capilano/lynn valleys, stanley park, Gas town-done 2, 3 days tops and much of spent driving... anything else can be found in any major city in canada... the same can be said of every city in canada...the differences are found in the local scenery but natural scenery is not culture...

I've got to be easily entertained to be responding to you. :P But then, picturing you swelling with pride over your knowledge of the cities of the world and what's worth visiting, what's impressive, and what's not, does make it worth my time.

our history is paper thin and excruciatingly dull...and visual historic evidence is nearly non existent...

our culture is a jumble of blandness, an assortment of folk festivals, Latino, festivals,Carib festivals, jazz festivals, fringe festivals, summer fairs all contrived and found right across the country...other than quebec we're a nation of cultural dullards...

I have to conclude you are one ignorant dude about your own country. :lol:

I have to conclude you are one ignorant dude about your own country. :lol:

No kidding. It's rather sad, actually. It's like saying that there's nothing to see in Chicago or NY, because they're the same as Montreal and Toronto.

Edited by Smallc

A very small number. Australia, The United States...are there really many others (I'm sure there are some)?

Are you kidding me?

How about all of Europe, the UK, Caribbean ... in fact can you name some countries that aren't multicultural?

And Australia's immigration policies don't strive for multicultural.

Canada's feel good promotion of itself as multicultural was designed to overcome entrenched racist policies and attitudes in Canada, to catch up with the rest of the world.

Edited by jacee

blindfold anyone and dump them in any canadian city and they wouldn't be able to identify where they are without obvious landmark clues...and that would apply to a number of american cities as well...bland, soulless, historical, cultural suburban deserts...

Suburban?

Maybe you should try going downtown sometime.

How about all of Europe, the UK, Caribbean

It's not even close to the same thing. Each of those countries in those places has a common unifying theme or culture. Even the Caribbean countries, which were immigrant driven, still don't have the same kind of experience as the large multi country driven immigrant societies.

Canada's feel good promotion of itself as multicultural was designed to overcome entrenched racist policies and attitudes in Canada, to catch up with the rest of the world.

:lol: yeah, Canada was the only country with racist policies, and clearly is the worst.

It's not even close to the same thing. Each of those countries in those places has a common unifying theme or culture. Even the Caribbean countries, which were immigrant driven, still don't have the same kind of experience as the large multi country driven immigrant societies.

:lol: yeah, Canada was the only country with racist policies, and clearly is the worst.

Point being ... American Woman is right - Canada is no more multicultural than most other countries.

Canada is no 'leader' in multiculturalism.

Except for that in fact being wrong. Canada is one of the most multicultural and multiethnic countries on the planet, and is so by virtue of the way it was populated. It has also had more success than most in creating a peaceful and tolerant multicultural society, whether your narrow focus lets you recognize it or not.

Edited by Smallc

cities-they're all the same...only three things draw tourists, history, festivals, scenery.. our cities are cookie cutter copies of each other, short on visual history with the exception of quebec and halifax, with contrived duplicate festivals in each location...I've traveled the entire country east to west north to south the cities are dull what we have is awesome scenery and that's why the tourists come...

You obviously didn't spend any time in the cities when you travelled because I have no idea how you can say they're "all the same."

:rolleyes: Ignorance is a virtue, it seems. You're not really even understanding the point. Canadian cities aren't supposed to be like Rome, or London, because this isn't Italy, or the UK.

Parts of Montreal and Quebec city are exactly like the historical architectures of France. So even his point there is wrong.

Are you serious or trolling? I can't tell because you couldn't be more wrong. I hope you're just trying to get a rise out of people; if you're serious, then I'm really not sure how anyone so well travelled could be entirely oblivious about Canada's history and architecture.

Are you serious or trolling? I can't tell because you couldn't be more wrong. I hope you're just trying to get a rise out of people; if you're serious, then I'm really not sure how anyone so well travelled could be entirely oblivious about Canada's history and architecture.

troll :lol: na I have no empathy for flag waving patriotic delusions...our history is dull, our architecture little different than found in the US... Edited by wyly

Except for that in fact being wrong. Canada is one of the most multicultural and multiethnic countries on the planet, and is so by virtue of the way it was populated. It has also had more success than most in creating a peaceful and tolerant multicultural society, whether your narrow focus lets you recognize it or not.

england, france, australia, new zealand, usa, argentina, brazil, all multicultural multi-ethnic ...you may have swallowed government propaganda but we're far from unique....

troll :lol: na I have no empathy for flag waving patriotic delusions...our history is dull, our architecture little different than found in the US...

How is your anti-patriotism any better than the "flag-waving patriotic delusions" you claim you're against? I don't think understanding our history and knowing about those historic sites around the country is "delusional." Moreover, our history is not as dull as it's taught in grade schools. We have a rich and complex history that makes it difficult for simpletons that only understand good guys vs bad guys.

How is your anti-patriotism any better than the "flag-waving patriotic delusions" you claim you're against? I don't think understanding our history and knowing about those historic sites around the country is "delusional." Moreover, our history is not as dull as it's taught in grade schools. We have a rich and complex history that makes it difficult for simpletons that only understand good guys vs bad guys.

I know history very well B) , ours is dull...