Favorite Place in Canada

Not as funny as keeping the stupid canard that Calgary is a resto town.

Good lord you are thick arent you?

:lol:

WHOOOOOSH!!!

hear that wooshing noise, that's the sound of the entire debate going waaaay over your head :lol: I swear I'm debating with a 12 yr old.... what a dullard posting a link that disputes your own misguided logic then continue to flail away by insisting the link is correct even though it makes you look like an idiot....what is it now? is the link correct and you're wrong or is the link wrong and you're right? or is it whatever you want to be because you didn't even read your own link? :lol:

"the best seafood is in vancouver because it's right beside the ocean, here's a link confirming I'm right, see it says right there the top seafood restaurants are in Toronto because they're right beside the ocean...ooops!" :lol:

absolutely brilliant :rolleyes:

Edited by wyly

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the nicest reataurants I've experienced in a long time is Valentino's in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. Probably not going to make it on any critic's list, as it is so off the beaten path, but it is just as good as any restaurant I've eaten at in any big city.

yes and that's exactly my point, quality of the meal comes down to the ability of the person preparing the meal it has nothing to do with the location the diner is located...claims that the best seafood can only be found in coastal cities or the best steaks can only be found in alberta is BS...

What I find strange is the way so many people equate best/favourite places in Canada with restaurants. Its just my personal opinion but restaurants are pretty low on my list as defining characteristics for a great place to be. We love to go up to the farm in Lindsay and camp. A private lake, great fishing, miles of trails and cooking over an open fire are some of the things we enjoy far more than a restaurant.

What I find strange is the way so many people equate best/favourite places in Canada with restaurants. Its just my personal opinion but restaurants are pretty low on my list as defining characteristics for a great place to be. We love to go up to the farm in Lindsay and camp. A private lake, great fishing, miles of trails and cooking over an open fire are some of the things we enjoy far more than a restaurant.

same here...I can get good meals where I live I don't need to travel across the country to have that, I don't spend thousands on my vacation dollars just to have a meal, good simple inexpensive food like fresh baguette and coffee(4 euros)in the sidewalk cafes of Paris is all I required...visiting restaurant's is not on my list of things to do when on vacation...

Same as Smallc. If I'm travelling, I want the place to have fantastic restaurants. Most people don't cook for themselves when they're on vacation.

I used to be this way too.

But after too many years of eating at fancy restaurants (and getting older and dealing with a slower metabolism etc) I now seek out condos so that I can cook for myself.

Then I usually book a fishing charter, catch some local fish and make up some really local cuisine.

This doesn't work so well for Europe in which case I eat out quite a bit - but the food is different over there so I don't mind so much.

This doesn't work so well for Europe in which case I eat out quite a bit - but the food is different over there so I don't mind so much.

I agree completely....

In the southern countries of Europe it is much easier to find a simple, awesome meal for a reasonable price. Portugal and Spain are fantastic that way... the tapas in Spain and the seafood in Portugal are amazing.... and reasonably priced!!

Scandinavia, not so much.... but shopping at local markets and preparing your own food was a good way to go, otherwise it was quite pricey...

I agree completely....

In the southern countries of Europe it is much easier to find a simple, awesome meal for a reasonable price. Portugal and Spain are fantastic that way... the tapas in Spain and the seafood in Portugal are amazing.... and reasonably priced!!

Scandinavia, not so much.... but shopping at local markets and preparing your own food was a good way to go, otherwise it was quite pricey...

that's how I do it, local markets, inexpensive sidewalk cafe's...on my next trip to paris we plan on renting an apartment for a week and do our own cooking...barcalona, tapas are the only way to dine, good food reasonable price, eat like the locals...going to "high end" restaurants is a gamble no matter where you go, dropping a couple hundred on a so-so meal is not my idea of smart dining...

Well in a world where corporate food chains are the norm and you can find a McDonalds everywhere, the small local food places are gems that make the trip. So if you want good food experiences try something other than a chain you can get anywhere.

For example. In Banff there is The Grizzly House. They bring out a slab of heated slate and a plate of cubed meats. It's a fondue type place. You cook the meat the way you want and dip it in one of the many great sauces they have.

http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/

Well in a world where corporate food chains are the norm and you can find a McDonalds everywhere, the small local food places are gems that make the trip. So if you want good food experiences try something other than a chain you can get anywhere.

but what's nice about mcD's is no matter where it's located it's generally safe to eat and reasonably consistent quality...a travellers safe haven...
For example. In Banff there is The Grizzly House. They bring out a slab of heated slate and a plate of cubed meats. It's a fondue type place. You cook the meat the way you want and dip it in one of the many great sauces they have.
had the same in some tiny village in the netherlands, can't recall the name of the town or the restaurant...it's different, can't complain to the chef if your beef is overcooked :), and they had glow ball bowling as an after dinner entertainment :lol: , strange but fun... Edited by wyly

Absolutely!

Surprised me to find that out.

I think it makes sense when you think about it. The fish is carefully handled, only taken out, cut, and used at the last minute. They're probably careless with the rice. It sits around at temperatures below 170F, but is still warm and moist, creating the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive.

I think it makes sense when you think about it. The fish is carefully handled, only taken out, cut, and used at the last minute. They're probably careless with the rice. It sits around at temperatures below 170F, but is still warm and moist, creating the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive.

Yes and no, let me explain

I cannot find the article I read but the gist of iot is this.

The rice can develop a certain toxin, discernable to the average nose therefore it smells fine and looks fine (and part of the reason vinegar is used to cook it)

Whereas the fish is discernable the moment it begins to turn.

The rice can develop a certain toxin, discernable to the average nose therefore it smells fine and looks fine (and part of the reason vinegar is used to cook it)

That is interesting and I assume you mean imperceptible or indiscernible rather than discernible.

Edited by cybercoma

I'll be keeping that in mind next time I have sushi...