Favorite Place in Canada

I've been to all major Canadian cities. i agree with wyly that only quebec city and halifax offer anything unique. vancouver, edmonton, calgary are boring. regina, saskatoon, and winnipeg are just big prairie dumps with dumb unspohisticated people. ottaw is boring. toronto and montreal are typical. i don't know why people get all upset because us well travelled people think our cities are just big piles of urban blight.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

england, france, australia, new zealand, usa, argentina, brazil, all multicultural multi-ethnic

Wow, out of 180 countries, you managed less than 10...and the first two at least are terrible examples of it, given their lack of success.

I've been to all major Canadian cities. i agree with wyly that only quebec city and halifax offer anything unique. vancouver, edmonton, calgary are boring. regina, saskatoon, and winnipeg are just big prairie dumps with dumb unspohisticated people. ottaw is boring. toronto and montreal are typical. i don't know why people get all upset because us well travelled people think our cities are just big piles of urban blight.

Major cities are not nicest places in ANY country.

Shouldn't you provide some context for your statements? When you visited all those cities, just what did you do while you were there?

Some of us might be attending Ozzfest. I suspect you may have been a polka fiend, following Walter Ostanek as he toured across the country. Perhaps you are a polka clarinet player yourself?

Or maybe you are an aficionado of boy bands. Different strokes for different folks.

Boring people bring it with them.

Guest American Woman

Shouldn't you provide some context for your statements? When you visited all those cities, just what did you do while you were there? [...]

Boring people bring it with them.

Face it, WB. Some people are just Too Cool for Canada; you know, the self-perceived World Travelers who think themselves so enlightened because they've been to a European country or two. :P

If they don't appreciate Canada's cities, it's their loss; fortunately others actually are more enlightened, and do appreciate Canada's beautiful cities for all that they have to offer.

Face it, WB. Some people are just Too Cool for Canada; you know, the self-perceived World Travelers who think themselves so enlightened because they've been to a European country or two. :P

It's funny because since I have been to some European cities I used to have a similar opinion of Canadian cities (and even American cities) as wyly.

But I don't anymore.

Every city needs to be put in its own setting and whether it's Amsterdam, Athens, Vancouver, or San Diego, they are all world class to me (and I like San Diego the best which is strange because prior to Europe I thought I would have loved Athens or Amsterdam best - but prejudices are funny that way).

Major cities are not nicest places in ANY country.

I understand where that's coming from, every city has it's undesirable aspect, central Paris is awesome but some of the outlying areas are scary...the paris highrise district of La Défense is as cold and characterless as downtown Toronto or Calgary and even Vancouver...Vancouver's superficial appeal is not due to the city but it's setting, the sea and mountains...

when I was younger I was more impressed by the glitz of the big city action but once you take that away what's left? this is why I've come to appreciate small town and rural settings, the culture is genuine and scenery uncluttered by the sterile steel/concrete/glass towers of the central cores and unconstrained urban sprawl...

Edited by wyly

Wow, out of 180 countries, you managed less than 10...and the first two at least are terrible examples of it, given their lack of success.

I could've named every country in western europe and the americas but anyone who has traveled outside of canada would've known that, I mistakenly assumed you'd left canada at least once in your life...

and depending on what definition is used for "country" the number is 193 as members of the UN but as high as 250 dependent on criteria used...so you may want to get your facts in line before you post shitte you know little about...

Edited by wyly

and depending on what definition is used for "country" the number is 193 as members of the UN but as high as 250 dependent on criteria used...so you may want to get your facts in line before you post shitte you know little about...

Because I actually thought 180 was the number of countries. :rolleyes:

That's odd. Many european cities are unique and beautiful with interesting architecture. trying getting out more or at least look at some pictures.

Iv been all over the world. I find natural wonders to be a lot nicer than crowded cities. I agree theres some great architecture in some cities. I went to France last year and thought Paris was awsome, but I like the French Mediterranean coast more. In my opinion both the rockies and the BC coast are nicer places than Vancouver or Calgary.

I understand where that's coming from, every city has it's undesirable aspect, central Paris is awesome but some of the outlying areas are scary...the paris highrise district of La Défense is as cold and characterless as downtown Toronto or Calgary and even Vancouver...Vancouver's superficial appeal is not due to the city but it's setting, the sea and mountains...

when I was younger I was more impressed by the glitz of the big city action but once you take that away what's left? this is why I've come to appreciate small town and rural settings, the culture is genuine and scenery uncluttered by the sterile steel/concrete/glass towers of the central cores and unconstrained urban sprawl...

Thats exactly how I feel... You just did a much nicer job explaining it.

Iv been all over the world. I find natural wonders to be a lot nicer than crowded cities. I agree theres some great architecture in some cities. I went to France last year and thought Paris was awsome, but I like the French Mediterranean coast more. In my opinion both the rockies and the BC coast are nicer places than Vancouver or Calgary.

Vancouver and calgary, both cities are incorrectly given credit for the nearby natural scenery ...if not for the proximity of the mountains both would be as attractive as winnipeg or edmonton :rolleyes: ...as places to live they're pleasant enough (as are winnipeg and edmonton) but neither are anything special, glass and concrete cores surrounded by sprawling suburbs... Edited by wyly