Federal Election Polls

Waldo, what you posted confirms exactly what Smallc just told you.

The only "contingency" is the buffer that was deliberately calculated for in the budget -- there is no rainy day fund sitting there and there never has been.

and yet the words "set-aside for contingencies" appear directly within the Harper Conservative 2015 budget... that if required (for a rainy-day... as in the kind of rain attached to presuming to meet prior promises to balance the budget :lol: ) ...

the Harper Conservative budget balanced through weasel moves that include slashing the contingency, assuming oil prices will rise and collecting billions more in Employment Insurance premiums than necessary!

per Harper Conservative Finance Minister, Joe Oliver:

"The contingency fund is there for unexpected and unavoidable shocks to the system and, you know, the oil price decline – which was a dramatic one – would fall in that category,"

I was wrong on the phrase - it can apply here. That said, calling it that doesn't change anything. It's a line item in the budget. Before that budget it didn't exist (at the end of the year it simply becomes part of the surplus an deficit calculation). You can't take money out of something that didn't exist.

This fund is not what people would generally consider a contingency or rainy day fund. The money exists in this fiscal year only, and is simply a budget buffer between surplus and deficit. It isn't what people would normally consider as a rainy day or contingency fund:

The budget draws $105-million from Manitoba’s rainy-day fund to pay down debt and support infrastructure spending. That leaves $115-million in a bank account that boasted $864-million in 2009.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/smokers-banks-rainy-day-fund-bankrolling-manitoba-infrastructure-spending/article24195669/

That's why I got the terminology wrong. The above is a more conventional use of the word.

I was wrong on the phrase - it can apply here.

That's why I got the terminology wrong.

I'll have to be verrrry careful in how I word this... so as to avoid having my post deleted (as was my first post replying to you). Thanks for recognizing the error over your very numerous responses... in the face of Harper Conservative Finance Minister repeatedly using the very words, "contingency fund" (I simply quoted one example of that use)... it is quite enlightening that, still, anyone could dispute its existence.

I don't know what you're talking about, but no, the extra $2B never existed.

Smallc is right. The $2.4 billion swing from the surplus projection to the deficit projection by the PBO and Bank of Canada was completely fabricated by the CPC to pretend they would have a surplus. It never existed. Harper and his party are liars and their supporters are blind.

Here we are, the writs have yet to be dropped, and posters are arguing about polls. We have about two and a half months before the federal election. In politics, a week is a lifetime. Does it really matter at all what the polls indicate or do not indicate at this time?

Have a pleasant holiday.

In politics, a week is a lifetime. Does it really matter at all what the polls indicate or do not indicate at this time?

I don't think that the media coined term "1 week=lifetime" really means that much anymore or it's being used incorrectly.

I believe the term was first used to summarize the devastating effects that a bad comment or sudden disclosure of an bad event can have in an election campaign. Or the positive effect that a good debater can have!

An excellent example would be Rachel Notley's superb debate performance that hurdled the ANDP to an astounding victory!

WWWTT

Smallc is right. The $2.4 billion swing from the surplus projection to the deficit projection by the PBO and Bank of Canada was completely fabricated by the CPC to pretend they would have a surplus. It never existed. Harper and his party are liars and their supporters are blind.

There is definitely less money in the budget. No money was taken out of any mythical rainy day fund. It simply wasn't allocated under that line item for this fiscal year.