Mayor Ford to nix Pride Funding!

This is truly excellent news.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says he will withhold more than $100,000 in city funding to the annual gay pride parade if an anti-Israel group again is allowed to participate.

"Taxpayers dollars should not go toward funding hate speech," Ford told the weekly

Pride Toronto received $123,807 from the city last year.

Finally a Mayor with a sense of decency and morality. So if any Anti Israeli group participates in Pride say goodbye to city funding. It's a start.

The loss of city funding would be a blow to Pride Toronto, which emerged from last year's festival with a debt of nearly $110,000 due to alleged financial mismanagement Source
The people running this "Pride" thing must be on the TCHC board. I wonder if they got any pedicures. Probably just some diva chocolates. Edited by Mr.Canada

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought right-wingers didn't believe that such a thing as hate speech existed?

I found this interesting as well:

To counter the presence of Queers Against Israeli Apartheid in last year's parade, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto and the Canadian Jewish Congress marched in solidarity with members of Kulanu Toronto, the Jewish community's main gay advocacy group.

So both sides were represented: sounds like free speech in action. Ford only wants one side represented, ergo Ford is against free speech.

Your subject line is completely wrong.

First line of the article:

It's completely accurate. Mayor Ford is set to nix Pride funding if the anti Israeli/ Anti Jewish Group is allowed to participate.

So both sides were represented: sounds like free speech in action. Ford only wants one side represented, ergo Ford is against free speech.

The article doesn't say anything against free speech. The group is free to participate in Pride but if it does don't expect the city to help fund it.

They shouldn't get any funding from the taxpayers, they are successful and capable of raising their own funds. It's one thing funding a group with start up money but they don't need it anymore.

I completely agree. Pride has tens of sponsors every year. They should be getting money from them.

It's completely accurate. Mayor Ford is set to nix Pride funding if the anti Israeli/ Anti Jewish Group is allowed to participate.

"is set" and "if the anti..." are absent from your subject line.

I could start a thread with the title "Mr. Canada Loves to Videotape Public Sex Acts", then in the body of the thread add " to expose the moral issues with society"... That would also be deceptive, maybe on a few levels. ( That is, I would also be deceiving myself in the body of the thread if I pretended to really know why you love to videotape public sex acts. )

The article doesn't say anything against free speech. The group is free to participate in Pride but if it does don't expect the city to help fund it.

Pride is having some financial issues and the loss of funding from the city would be a serious blow. Ford surely knows this and is using it as leverage to force PT to stifle participation. Basically, he's blackmailing PT, which appears to be his new modus operendi.

They shouldn't get any funding from the taxpayers, they are successful and capable of raising their own funds. It's one thing funding a group with start up money but they don't need it anymore.

I agree. And all those tourists it attracts should spend their money in Buffalo instead. Or, since this thing generates tens of millions of dollars to the city, it seems making it difficult to generate that sort of revenue would be somewhat counter-productive.

2009 Pride Economic Impact Study

Pride Toronto has released the results of an economic impact study that suggests the annual Pride celebration generates millions of dollars in spending in Toronto each year.

According to the report by Enigma Research, and released on Nov 16, $136 million was spent during the 2009 Pride celebration. $94 million of that came from visiting tourists.

According to the report, about 411,000 people attended Pride this year. 303,000 of them live in the Toronto area.

I wonder if the "Ford Nation" has thought of that yet. Or are they that thick?

I agree. And all those tourists it attracts should spend their money in Buffalo instead. Or, since this thing generates tens of millions of dollars to the city, it seems making it difficult to generate that sort of revenue would be somewhat counter-productive.

I wonder if the "Ford Nation" has thought of that yet. Or are they that thick?

If it generates so much money it doesn't need public dollars. Does it?

If it generates so much money it doesn't need public dollars. Does it?

You DO understand what an "investment" is don't you and how corporations - like the City of Toronto - invest public money in public activities all the time?

Or are you thick too?

You DO understand what an "investment" is don't you and how corporations - like the City of Toronto - invest public money in public activities all the time?

Or are you thick too?

Surely if Pride is generating hundreds of millions of dollars they can save some for the next year. Perhaps they need someone with better accounting skills.

Surely if Pride is generating hundreds of millions of dollars they can save some for the next year. Perhaps they need someone with better accounting skills.

Seriously, you don't get it do you? You don't understand how economic impacts work, how sponsorship and investment work?

That's OK, that is all I need to point out to collapse your house of cards.

Which refers back to the 'thick' comment made earlier about Ford Nation.

Pride will still get its money if this QuAIA or any other racist group is told they're not welcome. I don't see the problem. If they want taxpayer money, surely City council is allowed to attach some stipulations to that money. That's all that is happening in Toronto.

Seriously, you don't get it do you? You don't understand how economic impacts work, how sponsorship and investment work?

That's OK, that is all I need to point out to collapse your house of cards.

Which refers back to the 'thick' comment made earlier about Ford Nation.

The so-called investment isn't needed. That fact was proven by your own post outlining the amount of money made by the parade. There's no reason they can't raise the necessary funds privately. They already have a huge line up of sponsors.

Call it what you want. It's taxpayer money. If they want it they can play by the rules set out by those giving it. People who come begging for money don't then get to decide the manner in which it's given out.

And by "rules" you mean "political whims of the clod mayor."

If this scenario was reversed (say, David Miller threatening to pull funding because of a pro-Israel presence) you'd be bawling about antisemitism, censorship, the whole nine yards.

This should be something we could calculate with publicly available information.

What are the number of out of town visitors staying in hotels ? How much money is spent at restaurants/bars/retail stores ?

They are easily found..I have posted the impact study that was done a year or two ago. Not chump change in the least..about as much as a Grey Cup but less than if the Stanley Cup Playoff were in Toronto...

Should the City fund the Argos and the Maple Leafs?

They are easily found..I have posted the impact study that was done a year or two ago. Not chump change in the least..about as much as a Grey Cup but less than if the Stanley Cup Playoff were in Toronto...

I think these are two separate issues and I think the discussion of whether the city should support profitable cultural events is one to have. But that's not the issue here.

I think these are two separate issues and I think the discussion of whether the city should support profitable cultural events is one to have. But that's not the issue here.

You are correct. The issue is Mr. Canada's habit of misrepresenting posts in his headlines.

Are you saying that the City does not fund the Argos or Maple Leafs - or better put - the Grey Cup or Stanley Cup in any way?

You are correct. The issue is Mr. Canada's habit of misrepresenting posts in his headlines.

He sure isn't the only poster to do that..

Federal funding isn't meant to be permanent, it's only start up money until the groups can stand on their own, city money should be the same.

And by "rules" you mean "political whims of the clod mayor."

If this scenario was reversed (say, David Miller threatening to pull funding because of a pro-Israel presence) you'd be bawling about antisemitism, censorship, the whole nine yards.

Mayor Ford got over 50% of the vote while Smitherman got only 25%. I think the majority of Torontonians want what Ford Nation is doing.

Canada is a place for everyone to feel comfortable and be free from racial targeting and racism.

Edited by Mr.Canada

He sure isn't the only poster to do that..

Federal funding isn't meant to be permanent, it's only start up money until the groups can stand on their own, city money should be the same.

If that is the only criteria, the Pride Toronto - since they can't stand on their own - should be clearly eligible. So what's your problem with it again?