Mayor Ford to nix Pride Funding!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An election win does not equate a carte blanche for every decision. BTW: Ford got 47% of the vote, Smitherman got 35%.

I think the point is Ford knows damned well that the number of gay supporters listed among his supporters was probably minuscule.

They shouldn't get any funding from the taxpayers, they are successful and capable of raising their own funds. It's one thing funding a group with start up money but they don't need it anymore.

Exactly.

The government should make the streets available, and charge for police overtime. There's no reason for the government to be in the business of making straight, or gay, or Irish, or Jewish people feel proud of themselves.

Exactly.

The government should make the streets available, and charge for police overtime. There's no reason for the government to be in the business of making straight, or gay, or Irish, or Jewish people feel proud of themselves.

for the same reason cities promote Grand Prix events on their streets or festivals of any sort...events bring in revenue for the civic economy...

Well, what I would like to know is that even though Conservatives are claiming that they don't support funding for any public event, how come it's always pride they complain about? Why aren't there any threads condemning the massive amounts of money something like the Calgary Stampede recieves?

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6460966-stephen-harper-postpone-unnecessary-election/image/60591998-stephen-harper

Well, what I would like to know is that even though Conservatives are claiming that they don't support funding for any public event, how come it's always pride they complain about? Why aren't there any threads condemning the massive amounts of money something like the Calgary Stampede recieves?

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6460966-stephen-harper-postpone-unnecessary-election/image/60591998-stephen-harper

That is a long-standing traditional event that draws in many from even outside the country. The other events are recent, concocted and draw locally if at all.

That is a long-standing traditional event that draws in many from even outside the country. The other events are recent, concocted and draw locally if at all.

But not Pride Toronto where public gay events have been around for more than 30 years and Pride Week attracts about 1/4 of its participants from out of town with many of them from abroad.

2009 Impact Study

According to the report by Enigma Research, and released on Nov 16, $136 million was spent during the 2009 Pride celebration. $94 million of that came from visiting tourists.

According to the report, about 411,000 people attended Pride this year. 303,000 of them live in the Toronto area.

But not Pride Toronto where public gay events have been around for more than 30 years and Pride Week attracts about 1/4 of its participants from out of town with many of them from abroad.

2009 Impact Study

Pride isn't family friendly, it's not a family activity. I don't view homosexuals celebrating their sexuality as appropriate viewing for children.

Exactly. And completely disingenuous. Not to mention that I couldn't imagine what the fallout would be if somebody wanted to start up Muslim Apartheid Week, or So-and-so Against Muslim Apartheid. :rolleyes:

It's not "Jewish Apartheid Week," but is named after the perceived actions of a State.

There is nothing sacred about the geopolitical entities called "countries." Not even--gasp!--Israel.

Your analogy would only work if you cited, for example, a "Saudi Arabia Apartheid Week."

So what's the problem with that?

I have children and as a parent it's up to me to deem what is appropriate. That's what parenting is, taking an active roll in your children. Not parking them in front of tele letting them watch whatever, do whatever.

And thus you are free to declare for yourself, but none other. But I hope to God that none of your kids turns out gay - for their sake, not yours - seeing how self-serving your repetition has become.

Already thread topic (link).

But on the thread topic, besides the merits of "gay pride" is running specialty parades really a core governmental function?

Well, as it turns out, you are not "on the thread topic" since the government doesn't run any "gay pride...specialty parades."

The government does, however, have a hand in veteran's celebrations and parades. Are you openly admitting you don't support the troops that fought for your freedom?

I have children and as a parent it's up to me to deem what is appropriate. That's what parenting is, taking an active roll in your children. Not parking them in front of tele letting them watch whatever, do whatever.

but you hang a picture of a fascist mass murderer Franco on your wall and that's appropriate?...that reminds me of a man I knew an ex member of the Hitler-Jugend whos still displayed pictures of himself in his nazi uniform and had birthday cakes decorated with swastikas for his son...being a biological parent doesn't make one qualified for the role...

This is truly excellent news.

Finally a Mayor with a sense of decency and morality. So if any Anti Israeli group participates in Pride say goodbye to city funding. It's a start.

The people running this "Pride" thing must be on the TCHC board. I wonder if they got any pedicures. Probably just some diva chocolates.

The government does, however, have a hand in veteran's celebrations and parades. Are you openly admitting you don't support the troops that fought for your freedom?

Perhaps since the fighting of wars is a governmental function they have a right to support those so engaged?

All criticism of Israel must be banned. Perhaps we can impose jail terms for anyone caught being critical of the great blameless nation of Israel.

being critical of a nation is one thing. Comparing to apartheid South Africa is quite another ,that isn't being critical that's just plain stupid. Saying that Israel doesn't have the right to exist isn't being critical it's racist. If Israel doesn't exist then the Jewish people would also cease to exist leaving what happened with the Nazi's open to happen again.

being critical of a nation is one thing. Comparing to apartheid South Africa is quite another ,that isn't being critical that's just plain stupid. Saying that Israel doesn't have the right to exist isn't being critical it's racist. If Israel doesn't exist then the Jewish people would also cease to exist leaving what happened with the Nazi's open to happen again.

The Jewish people existed for one hell of a long time prior to the creation of Israel. And some of them are even (GASP!) your neighbours right here in Canada!

What a giant load of hogwash.

So, you believe that you can be critical of a nation, but you can't compare it to South Africa?

Who makes these rules? Can we compare Venezuela to Cuba? Can we compare Canada to Sweden? Can we compare anyone to Germany?

You can argue that 'apartheid' is inaccurate, but to suggest it be banned, or that it is racist is absurd.

I have no idea how you make the giant leap from using the term apartheid to saying the nation shouldn't exist.

However, why not? I don't think the country of Quebec should exist. Some think the country of Palestine shouldn't exist.

Does this make them racist hate mongers?

And how do you figure that without Israel, the Jews would all die. Do Jews not live in Canada, in the US, in France.

Are we rounding them up and putting them into camps? Probably not.

Look, Israel does have a right to exist, but for those people displaced by the creation of Israel, who are continually being driven out of their homes, because Israel needs more space for the Jews that it encourages to move back to Israel, I certainly respect their right to oppose what Israel is doing.