Do you have a favourite piece of classical music?

scouterjim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amusingly, when viewed from the main page, the thread title appears as "Do you have a favorite pie..."

I like cherry.

As for classical music, there is a lot that I love. Some of my favorites:

"The Fingal's Cave Overture" by Mendelssohn

"Hall Of The Mountain King" by Grieg (currently listening to a crazy heavy metal version!)

"Dance Macabre" by Saint-Saens

"Ride Of The Valkyries" by Wagner

I have an MP3 of some portion of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" that I like. It sounds like a prelude, followed by "Montagues and Capulets" followed by some sort of flute fantasy. it's very nice.

I used to like Night on Bald Mountain after I saw Fantasia, but the stupid disco version ruined it for me for all time :angry:

-k

I have an MP3 of some portion of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" that I like. It sounds like a prelude, followed by "Montagues and Capulets" followed by some sort of flute fantasy. it's very nice.

I used to like Night on Bald Mountain after I saw Fantasia, but the stupid disco version ruined it for me for all time :angry:

-k

Ever see The Competition with Amy Irving and Richard Dreyfuss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq35DIt9Y_4

Hadn't seen it, wasn't aware of the film... really didn't care for the music at all. Like a Les Claypool bass exhibition: technically amazing, but to little musical effect.

It's overly busy, often discordant, and... just sounds like a jumble of notes to my ears. Musically, it's pretty much the opposite of the ones I listed, which are very melodic and "clean" sounding.

By the way, add "Moonlight Sonata" to my list. :)

-k

Hadn't seen it, wasn't aware of the film... really didn't care for the music at all. Like a Les Claypool bass exhibition: technically amazing, but to little musical effect.

It's overly busy, often discordant, and... just sounds like a jumble of notes to my ears. Musically, it's pretty much the opposite of the ones I listed, which are very melodic and "clean" sounding.

By the way, add "Moonlight Sonata" to my list. :)

-k

Amy actually played her difficult Prokofiev bit while Richard 'faked it'. Both performances were, however, overdubed with other pianists in the end cut.

Amy actually played her difficult Prokofiev bit while Richard 'faked it'. Both performances were, however, overdubed with other pianists in the end cut.

I watched her fingers closely... it certainly looked believable. And it certainly does look like a difficult thing to play. But ... ugh, wouldn't listen to it again.

-k

As for classical music, there is a lot that I love.
I agree. I have several.
Wonderful movie!

-----

Since this is a standard question, I will offer standard answers. (And not mention Tchaikowski!)

My first choice would be Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (KV622):

This musical piece has always intrigued me. Mozart was "older" when he composed it; he died the same year. It is hard not to hear him ask about life in a way that it is 20st century modern, existential. (Listen to the Clarinette ask about life and then hear the orchestra answer "there is nothing to worry about.")

Edited by August1991

I don't have a favourite. But there's certain ones I never tire of.

Here's one I love on the mp3 player while I walk.

The 1st movement of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5.

It's long, so the whole movement is separated into two youtube clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi4QGRwOPc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsHE7u6gUbo&feature=related

I've heard it before, didn't know the name for it. The song for this forum would be Twisted Sister's "I'm not going to take anymore" when everyone does their attacks.

Looking at this thread again, and reading Topaz' comment, I remembered this video:

Edited by August1991

Wonderful movie!

Yes...it was oddly enchanting. A New York tale.

-----

Since this is a standard question, I will offer standard answers. (And not mention Tchaikowski!)

My first choice would be Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (KV622):

This musical piece has always intrigued me. Mozart was "older" when he composed it; he died the same year. It is hard not to hear him ask about life in a way that it is 20st century modern, existential. (Listen to the Clarinette ask about life and then hear the orchestra answer "there is nothing to worry about.")

I love most of Mozart's various concertos. And everybody has been exposed to Bach's Brandenburg works...and probaby Tchaikovsky's #1 Piano Concerto, 1812, etc. The classical hit list.