Bev Oda's Office Caught Forging Document

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he shouldn't. He should locked up the known troublemakes before meeting.

No need to waste money on criminals.

Begs the question, why didn't he?

Why did Harper waste that money?

Let's ask the Lefties. Should church groups get money or shouldn't they?

You can't have it both ways.

:lol: The question is "Should cabinet ministers falsify documents to try to hide the fact that they've made a political, not a practical decision, and then lie about it?"

My answer is NO! NO, no, no! What's yours?

..................................................^

.................................................. not

Edited by Molly

Chas, can we merge the two threads? People are double posting comments and it's getting silly.

Done.

oh nooooooooooooooooosssssss!!! :lol:

Sometimes you have to take a step back to get a clearer prespective:

:lol: in a booster club move to control the message, Simple trots out a new thread... apparently, discussing Oda's duplicitous actions in the other currently active thread, (the one that includes "Caught Forging Document")... just won't do! Booster is, as booster does...

To me anyway, it's less about someone receiving funding, it's more about a sitting MP lying over and over again.

Of course it is... However since the CONS can do no wrong they simply can't see it... (read my sig.)

Then don't accept the practice of forgery!

And that is the entire point. The complaints about Oda have nothing to do with cutting funding to certain groups - governments do that all the time. It is totally about the altering of a signed document AND lying about it to Parliament and a parliamentary committee. The Rules of Parliament requires all MPs to be truthful and direct when they are questioned. The fact that she lied puts all of Parliament into question and she should no longer be allowed to participate. If Harper doesn't do her in, then we all should do Harper in for supporting the lying in the House.

They hounded Guergis out with a bunch of driveby smears so we shouldn’t let it happen again.
Guergis' tantrum at the airport alone qualified her being turfed. She set a horrible "leadership" example. In this case, Oda shows terrible weakness in trying in the first place to pass the buck on a tough decision to subordinates.

If Bev Oda decided to give the money and Harper told her not to then she better come clean and save her name because if she is fired, she won't be able to get another job because of her lying and can a employer trust her? There's more here than Oda just losing her job.

Topaz, there is life before and after politics. Pre-politics, Oda had a successful career in broadcasting and received awards.

There are two Bev Odas: there's the slightly awkward, sometimes befuddled minister who has slipped on her share of public relations banana peels since she entered federal politics.

Then there's the accomplished broadcasting professional, the Bev Oda who made a long list of fond friends during a successful, award-winning career at some of the industry's top organizations.

Oda worked within TVOntario and Citytv, and later became a commissioner at the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).

She was named senior vice-president of industry affairs at CTV in the 1990s, before a consulting stint. She won the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for her work in the industry.

---

Oda's image in Ottawa is much different than that described by those who knew her in her previous professional life.

Former CRTC chairman Keith Spicer spoke fondly of Oda in an email to The Canadian Press.

"I'm happy to say that from my direct seven-year experience with Bev Oda at the CRTC, I found her a highly competent professional, a very decent, reasonable person and a loyal colleague," Spicer said.

"She displayed a wide knowledge of broadcasting in all its forms and often helped us find solutions. Among several other contributions, she played a key role in gender issues."

Alain Gourd, former chairman of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters board and a veteran of the broadcasting industry, said Oda has always been reserved and a little shy, but with great determination for her work.

He said he developed a great respect for her after she delivered a report to the association's very white and very male board about bringing greater cultural diversity to Canadian television and radio.

"She did a splendid job, an excellent job for the association. She was measured, and she knew how to deftly suggest changes to rather conservative members, and convince them ... that they needed to introduce changes," said Gourd.

"Not only was the content of the report excellent, but the psychological approach was very well adapted to its audience."

Oda is 66 years old. Whenever she does leave politics, should she wish she will have tons of opportunities to work in broadcasting as a well paid consultant. I don't think her stint as a politician will make her unemployable.

Topaz, there is life before and after politics. Pre-politics, Oda had a successful career in broadcasting and received awards.

Oda is 66 years old. Whenever she does leave politics, should she wish she will have tons of opportunities to work in broadcasting as a well paid consultant. I don't think her stint as a politician will make her unemployable.

Hell no, she can be ele-er-appointed to the senate for life by Harper as a reward for what she did...

Certainly wouldn't be the first one of Harper's cronies to be rewarded in such a manner...

And that is the entire point. The complaints about Oda have nothing to do with cutting funding to certain groups - governments do that all the time. It is totally about the altering of a signed document AND lying about it to Parliament and a parliamentary committee. The Rules of Parliament requires all MPs to be truthful and direct when they are questioned.
That's what you think, CR. Out here in the real world, politicians regularly change/re-interpret their words to Parliament or anyone else. (Ignatieff has made a career of it.)

IOW, nobody (other than a narrow group of politico/Harper-haters) gives a tinker's cuss whether Oda knows who inserted the word "No".

It is positively unseemly to see Ignatieff berating a woman who looks like my grandmother for such a trifle. The optics are terrible.

Either Ignatieff is politically tone deaf or some people in the Liberal Party are egging him on to commit political suicide. Every day this carries on, more (undecided) voters are moving to the Conservative column.

August is right, most people don't care and are probably happy they aren't getting the 7 milllion. The only people who care about denying funding to a religious group are those baying at the moon with the pack, out for political blood....

Again, if she mislead or lied to Parliament she should step down, as for the rest of it, garbage.

Minister Oda does have the power which she used, to deny funding recommendation from her department. Maybe the opposition and their hangers on think they have a case because instead of stamping it declined, she wrote not, they are baying at the wrong moon. The Minister still runs the department, not the bureaucrats and the opposition critics. Kudos for denying that group of **** funding.

I can't understand how any voter could support a party that lies, coverup, and other things in the House of Commons. Liberal supporters help throw the Liberals out in the Adscam so when are the Tory supporters going to do the same for the Tories. This government has made more Canadians have more negative views on government and that's not good for Canada. Today, Michael asked Harper how he could defend this minister and I couldn't believe what came out of his mouth and Baird's. BTW, the following link to a view of today's question period, behind Harper sets Oda, BUT you can't see her because Rona blocked her from camera view, I wonder why? The Tories are a disgrace to the House of Commons. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/canews-22424922/opposition-hammers-harper-over-document-scandal-24213867.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fcanews-22424922%252Fopposition-hammers-harper-over-document-scandal-24213867.html

I can't understand how any voter could support a party that lies, coverup, and other things in the House of Commons. /canews-22424922/opposition-hammers-harper-over-document-scandal-24213867.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fcanews-22424922%252Fopposition-hammers-harper-over-document-scandal-24213867.html

That's why I don't support the Liberals LOL never mind, a couple more days and it's spring break

BUT in the house of public opinion they will see and hear a liar.

BUT in the house of public opinion they will see and hear a liar.

Topaz, we saw Liberals be thieves! They STOLE money from Canadians in AdScam!

Does this mean we should never again vote for Liberals?

Or do you only care about Tory scandals?