Raising the US debt ceiling

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to go a bit more risky and try my hand at short selling. Worked out pretty well this week so far :)

Such hard work - you deserve a great reward - I bet that hand you tried at short selling is blistered and sore. Always wondered about people who imagine that making money with money is some sort actual productive task.

Millions of pensioners and retirees count on just that. Even bookees have to do some work.

They should not depend on it - Pensions used to be called life savings...governmental pensions consist for instance of our super investing elites taking say the "teachers pension" and levering big buisness deals with money that is not theirs..but they rationalize saying that they are growning the investmented money of these teachers...There is a huge difference between traditional private "life saveings" and the government managing your savings for you...again - take the Magna car parts company - from what I understand they control the teachers fund in Ontairo and use that money to barter with....what happens when Magna tanks?

Good Morning BC. I judge that all is under control south of the boarder? All is well up here also. The sky is blue - coffee is available - and we will all have supper tonight..so what's there to worry about - might as well go out into the driveway and change those brake pads...as long as we have people like you inhabiting the great America - there is hope...If there is one BC in the states - then there are thousands...probably out numbering the government...It is the people that will have the final say..not your representatives in Washington. Let them play - and let the real work and decisions be left to those that actually run the place - the people!

So, who is all this American Debt owed to anyways?

It would make sense that it is ultimately to a few individuals - You could probably trace it down to that! Wonder what would happen if you posted the pictures of these men ....if they would dare walk the streets the next day? It is up to those that are recieving the benefits of this debt to set it right. That might be simplistic..but it makes sense to me....I am sure that someone here could publish a few photographs of these lenders...every institution has a head - eventually when you go up the food chain and get by the committee level you are going to find someone in charge - The problem is in their hands and I hope that they will give up a few ounces of power so others can live...what's the big deal?

Perfect example are these poor African nations that slip into failed state mode - most of these nations reached this point because they could NEVER keep up to the interest charged for massive loans...It's very inhumane on the part of these lavishly successful individuals..but then again - they take pride in their power and cruelty...could never figure out how such rich men could be so short sighted.

They are not really defence cuts. Unless you count defending the nation against profiteering defence contractors...who literaly bill the American people an arm and a leg - defence. To much of American wars are based on profit for a few. Those guys that suggest defence cuts are saying "You guys have enought and can live on the profits the rest of your lives so butt out.

Also - if the Americans cut their defence budget in half they would still be able to muster a strike force that would make any advesaries head spin...so that is a good start and it's nice to see that there is bi-partizan agreement on this issue. If there is ever a real crisis - America can still bluff it's way out with nukes.

Guest Derek L

Though it makes me sick to my stomach saying it, to an extent, I agree with Sen Barney Frank……The US will save a fortune once it’s out of Iraq and Afghanistan completely……Also, as mentioned, is it still really in the United States interest to still base troops in Germany, Italy, South Korea and Japan?

The talking heads may be calling for it, but it won't happen. The funding and spending on military and militarizing the police will only increase.

When has the military budget in the USA ever been decreased?

Have you ever heard of google?

1953 442.3

1954 420.9

1955 376.9

1956 356.2

1957 $360.9

1958 352.9

1959 352.5

1960 344.3

1961 344.0

1968 $449.3

1969 438.1

1970 406.3

1971 370.6

1972 343.8

1973 313.3

1974 299.7

1975 293.3

1976 283.8

1977 286.2

1978 286.5

1989 427.7

1990 $409.7

1991 358.1

1992 379.5

1993 358.6

1994 338.6

1995 321.6

1996 307.4

1997 305.3

1998 296.7

1999 298.4

2006 535.91,2

2007 527.41,2

2008 494.41,2

2009 494.31,2

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904490.html

Read more: U.S. Military Spending, 1946–2009 — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904490.html#ixzz1UkWiePfW

Have you ever heard of google?

I've heard it's some American thing.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904490.html

Read more: U.S. Military Spending, 1946–2009 — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904490.html#ixzz1UkWiePfW

With the disclaimer of :

1. Figures do not include expenses for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

2. Figures based on requested defense budget or projections, not actual spending.

Sure, I'll give you that, now let's see actual spending figures, and kindly include the cost of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I've heard it's some American thing.

With the disclaimer of :

Sure, I'll give you that, now let's see actual spending figures, and kindly include the cost of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

There were no iraq wars between 1953 to 1999... :lol: