Raising the US debt ceiling

I did find information fairly well repeated that 40% of all new homes in California are in gated communities, and in Florida, well over half.

Well, then post your made up information.

Really? The millions of foreclosures have been entirely painless? The tens of millions who are born into poverty, grow up in poverty, live in poverty, and die in poverty feel no pain?

No, the foreclosures haven't been painless. But the mortgage crisis was brought upon by idiotic policy put forth by idiots like yourself. People that can't afford, or don't qualify shouldn't have had mortgages given to them through pressure from the government. It's people like you that create all these kinds of messes. Your "good intentions" cause shit storms down the road for everybody else to try and clean up. Enough already.

I misspoke. What I meant to say, as I said earlier, is that the median worth of Black families is $6,000 vs over $113,000 for Whites

Yes, the recession's been tough on minorities. It's wiped out much of the gains minorities have made over the previous few decades. What's your solution?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Problem I have is, without consumer spending and getting new money INTO the system, everything is on hold and the debt will keep increasing. If they keep fritterin away at the system without coming up with an actual solution there won't be anything left to cut. Then they'll be broke for sure.

And why is this a "problem" for you? I would think that a negative 0.3% GDP growth for Canada in May and more sluggish performance would be a larger concern, especially if you are dependent on American consumers.

I misspoke. What I meant to say, as I said earlier, is that the median worth of Black families is $6,000 vs over $113,000 for Whites

Net worth isn't really a good measure of economic success. If I go and buy a new car, my net worth instantly goes down, since the car depreciates a lot the moment I drive it off the lot. But have I really gotten poorer? No, I've used my wealth to purchase something that I value, that new car. A year of making payments on your mortgage will vastly increase your net worth, and yet, your lifestyle will be the same as it was a year ago.

A much better economic indicator is income. Income directly relates to what people can afford to buy and determines the economic aspect of their quality of life. Data here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Personal_income_race.png

As you can see in the graph, there is an income difference based on race (Asians come out #1), but it is far from as dramatic as your net worth comparison.

Edited by Bonam

Yes, the recession's been tough on minorities. It's wiped out much of the gains minorities have made over the previous few decades. What's your solution?

Don't concede points without double checking the accuracy and relevance of the data used to make them. I have not seen anything to suggest that "minorities" have been harder hit by the recession than anyone else. Anyway, "minorities" don't "make gains". Individuals make gains. The solution for individuals to do well for themselves economically is the same as it's always been: work hard in school, get a good education, get a good job.

Guest American Woman

What the hell are you talking about, you brainless shrew?

I misspoke.

Yeah, you misspoke, but I'm the brainless shrew. Real intelligent. :rolleyes: Same goes for the rest of your post. Sure makes it easier to understand why you think as you do.....

And why is this a "problem" for you? I would think that a negative 0.3% GDP growth for Canada in May and more sluggish performance would be a larger concern, especially if you are dependent on American consumers.

That's not what this thread is about. See where it says "Raising the US Debt ceiling" in the title, that's what we're talking about...

Hmmm...let's see...gated...gated communities...in...ummm....Canada:

As of August 2003, the University of Dalhousie in Nova Scotia documented 241 gated developments in Canada, with approximately 15% in Ontario. British Columbia accounted for 71% of the total (Source: Planning Responses to Gated Communities in Canada, Jill Grant, School of Planning, Dalhousie University, 2003).

Net worth isn't really a good measure of economic success. If I go and buy a new car, my net worth instantly goes down, since the car depreciates a lot the moment I drive it off the lot. But have I really gotten poorer? No, I've used my wealth to purchase something that I value, that new car. A year of making payments on your mortgage will vastly increase your net worth, and yet, your lifestyle will be the same as it was a year ago.

A much better economic indicator is income. Income directly relates to what people can afford to buy and determines the economic aspect of their quality of life.

I completely disagree with that. Net worth IS a really good measure of economic success. I know all kinds of people that have been huge financial failures on a large income. Econonomic success is measured mostly in terms of your assets vs your liabilities as it should be.

No, people may have perceptions of the reality, but life of an ordinary citizen in the U.S. isn't your "reality." It is, on the other hand, my reality.

Your reality is based on your specific circumstances as is mine. What side of the border we live on is really beside the point when comparing one to the other.

It may very well be that in a relative sense your economic circumstances allow you to see the future in a more optimistic way than others less fortunate than you either in your immediate locale or further afield in other places.

When we look at things in the aggregate I think you will agree that there are some disparities in both the Canadian and American economies and in the case of the US debt ceiling a number of remedies have been offered up mainly in relation to the fiscal situation in the USA.

The Pew study referred to identified that a disproportionate burden has been felt by the Black, Asian and Latino community in relation to the white community as a result of the downturn. Of course this deals with the issue in the aggregate and as such should be taken in this context. Judging by the commentary on this website I would suspect most if not all posting here are of the so called middle class and as such see things through that spectrum.

Some reference has been made to the housing market with a variety of opinions put forward on the impact of the downturn on various components of society. Needless to say the adage location, location, location has determined market value which if taken in conjunction with the implosion of the sub-prime mortgage market put many of your fellow American citizens out on the street and in relation to net worth much worse off. Whether you see this or not in that comfortable little cocoon you have created for yourself is another thing.

Edited by pinko

I completely disagree with that. Net worth IS a really good measure of economic success. I know all kinds of people that have been huge financial failures on a large income. Econonomic success is measured mostly in terms of your assets vs your liabilities as it should be.

If someone is an economic failure on a "large income", the fault is their own, not because society is discriminating against their poor disenfranchised minority self. The whole "blacks have felt the recession deeper" line is an idiotic trotting out of the race card with no reason and for no purpose.

The Pew study referred to identified that a disproportionate burden has been felt by the Black, Asian and Latino community in relation to the white community as a result of the downturn.

:lol:

Please show me this "disproportionate burden" felt by the "Asian community" :lol:

You paternalistic racists that think you have to take care of "minorities" crack me up.

Edited by Bonam

If someone is an economic failure on a "large income", the fault is their own, not because society is discriminating against their poor disenfranchised minority self. The whole "blacks have felt the recession deeper" line is an idiotic trotting out of the race card with no reason and for no purpose.

:lol:

Please show me this "disproportionate burden" felt by the "Asian community" :lol:

You paternalistic racists that think you have to take care of "minorities" crack me up.

No need for name calling. The Pew study is available on the internet for all to read.

I don't subscribe to your theory but will refrain from labelling you a racist.

The statistics speak for themselves.

Exactly. Or the East-Indian community. It's funny how communities that haven't been held back by government dependency under the guise of compassion seem to do pretty damn well. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

No one knows what this is all about - Not the President - not those he presides over - not the finacial experts..and certainly not the average citizen- It is all very fantastic and now the wizards are going to dream up another fanatacy - Kind of like a second coming and a new start..but in the over view - everyone has spent so much that they are broke and they will never recover - the best they can do is just keep on dreaming.

For 2007-2010, real GDP decreased at an average annual rate of 0.3 percent; in the previously

published estimates, real GDP had increased at an average annual rate of less than 0.1 percent.

From the fourth quarter of 2007 to the first quarter of 2011, real GDP decreased at an average

annual rate of 0.2 percent; in the previously published estimates, real GDP had increased at an

average annual rate of 0.2 percent.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/national/gdp/gdpnewsrelease.htm

Hmmm...let's see...gated...gated communities...in...ummm....Canada:

As of August 2003, the University of Dalhousie in Nova Scotia documented 241 gated developments in Canada, with approximately 15% in Ontario. British Columbia accounted for 71% of the total (Source: Planning Responses to Gated Communities in Canada, Jill Grant, School of Planning, Dalhousie University, 2003).

241 in Canada, over 30,000 in the US. Good comparison.

Yeah, you misspoke, but I'm the brainless shrew. Real intelligent. :rolleyes: Same goes for the rest of your post. Sure makes it easier to understand why you think as you do.....

The only thing I misstated was that the disparity was on income when it was on net worth. That is irrelevant to your instantly playing the racist card. And I notice you have absolutely _NOTHING_ to say about the actual disparity.

Well, then post your made up information

Why? What further do you think can come of it given what I've already stated?

No, the foreclosures haven't been painless. But the mortgage crisis was brought upon by idiotic policy put forth by idiots like yourself. People that can't afford, or don't qualify shouldn't have had mortgages given to them through pressure from the government. It's people like you that create all these kinds of messes. Your "good intentions" cause shit storms down the road for everybody else to try and clean up. Enough already.

Jesus God but you're stupid. The free lending was not done to help minorities. The politicians did it in order to make the economy seem like it was chugging along really well, which made them look good. The banks did it because individuals in those banks would get bonuses by loaning out a lot of money. The stock brokers and such packaged and resold the debt in complex instruments as a way to make a lot of money and big bonuses.

No one in all that gave a damn about poor people, or did this in order to help the lower classes. It wasn't a 'entitlement' program, bub, but a make-money-fast pyramid scheme.

I don't know that I have a solution. I just don't think your solution - slash funding to school lunch programs, to educational grants, to tuition assistance programs, to medicare and social security, and unemployment assistance is going to help. Far from it.

Guest American Woman

The only thing I misstated was that the disparity was on income when it was on net worth. That is irrelevant to your instantly playing the racist card. And I notice you have absolutely _NOTHING_ to say about the actual disparity.

No, that wasn't the only "misstatement." You spoke of "minorities" in your claim - you said "minorities are scraping by on less than $6000" - and it's not "minorities." Many minorities are doing quite well, and would resent your generalization. Furthermore, not everyone in that income bracket is a "minority." Your claim, as stated, was racist stereotyping IMO. If minorities all live so poorly here, why do you think the U.S. is still the favored nation to immigrate to? Many, many minorities are doing quite well, and you should recognize that.

But you want to know what I have to say about the actual disparity? Look inward - look at your own country. You have plenty to be concerned about. For example, why do you think Toronto has had such a problem with Blacks in gangs and gun violence? Because such disparity doesn't exist in Canada?

:rolleyes:

Edited by American Woman