Pentagon's Xmas present

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beats me...but thank you for a present of a different kind. This helps to explain why some Canadians watch the Americans so damn closely...and with much anxiety. Merry Xmas!

No...what has many observer's anxiously scratching their head's is the incongruity of such a financially stressed country, in this day and age, allocating $725 billion to the largest military budget since World War II.

I mean we've seen super-powers go down in spectacular style before but...wow. What more can anyone say in addition to wow but...you take the cake?

Personally, I stand in utter awe of the U.S. and yes you're welcome BC. Merry Xmas, I trust you got your wish.

No...what has many observer's anxiously scratching their head's is the incongruity of such a financially stressed country, in this day and age, allocating $725 billion to the largest military budget since World War II.

That works too....same relentless gawking and anxiety. Maybe it just takes more extremes to keep their attention.

I mean we've seen super-powers go down in spectacular style before but...wow. What more can anyone say in addition to wow but...you take the cake?

Gosh...I hope so. Your empire petered out with such a wimper.

Personally, I stand in utter awe of the U.S. and yes you're welcome BC. Merry Xmas, I trust you got your wish.

I always get my wish.

Going out kicking and screaming doesn't seem any more dignified. Oh well, you gave it your best shot, the last One out turns out the lights right?

Going out with a bang is our way....that's how we got started in the first place.

Life in failed empires doesn't seem so bad for the Spanish, French, Japanese, Germans, etc.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

With apologies to eyeball...

Beats me...but thank you for a present of a different kind. This helps to explain why some Canadians watch the Americans so damn closely...and with much anxiety. Merry Xmas!

That works too....same relentless gawking and anxiety. Maybe it just takes more extremes to keep their attention.

...the incongruity of such a financially stressed country, in this day and age, allocating $725 billion to the largest military budget since World War II.

Notwithstanding an American gawking at Canadians observing international news, a $725 billion military budget during troubling economic times is more indicative of anxiety than anything else.

The anxiety is from your countrymen and -women, not from us.

Agreed...an American noted such Canadian anxiety first hand and wrote about it:

...Canadians often use three metaphors to portray their relationship with the United States. They describe Canada as "sleeping with an elephant." Even when the elephant is at rest,
they worry
that it may suddenly roll over and crush them. They refer to the U.S.-Canadian border as "the longest one-way mirror in the world" -- Canadians
peer closely at Americans
, trying to make sense of their every move, while the United States sees only its own reflection. Finally, they liken Canada to a
gawky
teenage girl with a hopeless crush on the handsome and popular boy next door. You know, the one who doesn't even know she exists.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Agreed...an American noted such Canadian anxiety first hand and wrote about it:

...Canadians often use three metaphors to portray their relationship with the United States. They describe Canada as "sleeping with an elephant." Even when the elephant is at rest,
they worry
that it may suddenly roll over and crush them. They refer to the U.S.-Canadian border as "the longest one-way mirror in the world" -- Canadians
peer closely at Americans
, trying to make sense of their every move, while the United States sees only its own reflection. Finally, they liken Canada to a
gawky
teenage girl with a hopeless crush on the handsome and popular boy next door. You know, the one who doesn't even know she exists.

Yes, a very anxious American wrote about some non-existent Canadian anxiety.

Yes, a very anxious American wrote about some non-existent Canadian anxiety.

Indeed...nonexistent...this thread does not really exist. Fifteen percent of polled Canadians didn't really want to vote in the 2008 American election....it was all fiction written by anxious Americans. Ditto fighter planes, border security, digital copyright, Fox News format on SunTV, private healthcare, etc., etc.

..all make believe by Americans.

Indeed...nonexistent...this thread does not really exist. Fifteen percent of polled Canadians didn't really want to vote in the 2008 American election....it was all fiction written by anxious Americans. Ditto fighter planes, border security, digital copyright, Fox News format on SunTV, private healthcare, etc., etc.

..all make believe by Americans.

Political fiction. Just so.

Yep...that's what I posted.

Canadians have no worries about America...this thread and all the others are imaginary.

That the forum has an area dedicated to "US Politics"....compared to the entire rest of the world... is also a fiction.

America who?

Every time someone shows any interest, you perceive it as "worries."

More American anxiety, increasingly coming to define you.

Every time someone shows any interest, you perceive it as "worries."

More American anxiety, increasingly coming to define you.

Yes...I am agreeing with you 100%...Canadians have zero worries or concerns about America. This is evident by the absence of any discussions or debate about American domestic or foreign policies. It is as if the United States doesn't exist, so indifferent and aloof are Canadians about such things.

Concerns expressed here about the possible relationship of the 2011 Pentagon budget and PM Harper is just playful chatter.