Why Are Atheists Cowards?

Shady

and the title of the thread was what Jack? "Why Are Atheists Cowards"...the entire thread began with a slur aimed at atheists...

I got the impression that the post opener was from a Muslim-basher who is just complaining that the atheist signs are attacking the religion over here, instead of attacking the one over there.....that rightwingers have turned into the new red menace.

I don't care what people believe jack but respect is a two way street...sky pixie is not meant as a perjorative just how it looks from my POV...

There are other POV's however! Sky pixie is a pejorative to someone who considers belief in God foundational to how they deal with life and the world around them.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the Boston Bruins came from the Oshawa Generals too, including Bep Guidolin, Harry Sinden, Bobby Orr, Nick Beverley Wayne Cashman, Terry O'Reilly, Rick Middleton, Dave Andreychuk, Jeff Hackett, Marc Savard, Natahn Horton, Stephane Yelle, Wayne Primeau. Heck, even current Bruins coach Claude Julien played for the Gens. Lots of Bruin fans in the Shwa.

Yep, I really got sidetracked with that Granfalloon story! Oh well, it gave me a chance to wander down memory lane for a bit.

Some of the names on your list came up after the old farm club system was abolished though, did that have any effect on Bruins fans in Oshawa? In the Falls, the link with the Bruins died after that, and the players could get drafted by any team. Also, down here in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, and Hamilton, there wasn't enough fan interest to support Junior A hockey without a clear link with any NHL teams.

Whether there is a God or not does not matter much to you or me or God - as if it gives a shit...now you go on about my...Problems....supposedly personal ones...everyone has difficult days..it's part of the human condition...and as far as my young friend Kim is concerned...I have never had a problem with here because she is young and female...It is evident that YOU have a problem ...what I meant by "my type or not my type" had nothing to do with romance or anything else...The point I am making is not sexual as YOU seem to see it...It is a spiritual and intellectual issue...Kim knows that but YOU miss the point..because you seem to be functioning on a very base and unsophisticated level...Your comments are rude ...speculative...and reel with assumptions...and frankly you are starting to bore me..pick up the pace or bail out buddy.

Whether there is a God or not does not matter much to you or me or God - as if it gives a shit...now you go on about my...Problems....supposedly personal ones...everyone has difficult days..it's part of the human condition...and as far as my young friend Kim is concerned...I have never had a problem with here because she is young and female...It is evident that YOU have a problem ...what I meant by "my type or not my type" had nothing to do with romance or anything else...The point I am making is not sexual as YOU seem to see it...It is a spiritual and intellectual issue...Kim knows that but YOU miss the point..because you seem to be functioning on a very base and unsophisticated level...Your comments are rude ...speculative...and reel with assumptions...and frankly you are starting to bore me..pick up the pace or bail out buddy.

To finally clarify the "type" issue...I guess my point has nothing to do with sex....what I meant was I am a very interesting guy...I have a great and artistic family...I paint well - compose music well...and I am a free thinker..so I would imagine that Kim or any other male or female would find an association with my "type" interesting...YOU one the other hand objectify woman...it is all about penis and vagina with you it appears...The older and wiser I get the more beautiful woman are to me...old - young - plain and strikingly beautiful...If I knew what I know know about the great gift that is the female...when I was younger...I would have enjoyed life more...YOU will mature in time once you understand that being hormone driven is not the end and be all...Hope I was helpful............................................................now stop bothering me.

There are other POV's however! Sky pixie is a pejorative to someone who considers belief in God foundational to how they deal with life and the world around them.

certainly but it doesn't give deists carte blanche to take a condescending attitude towards atheists either...I'm not a christian I don't turn my face to have the other side slapped, if I'm slapped I punch back...if jack has an issue with my response he should've gone after the instigator Oleg and not me...

certainly but it doesn't give deists carte blanche to take a condescending attitude towards atheists either...I'm not a christian I don't turn my face to have the other side slapped, if I'm slapped I punch back...if jack has an issue with my response he should've gone after the instigator Oleg and not me...

Well, you've got to consider the source. I have a hard time taking Oleg seriously; perhaps because I can't usually figure out what the hell his point is in the first place. And religious people who seem more coherent but make similar statements, feel like everyone needs to share the same experiences they have -- I'm used to this from fundamentalists who have adopted a belief system that claims it's something that everyone needs. They may see it as an act of charity on their part, but I'm a little disappointed when people who identify themselves as rational humanists take up a similar line of thinking, and say that believers in God need, and will be better off after being freed of their delusions. This sort of talk that comes from Richard Dawkins and other hardline materialists, looks like a faith-based belief, because it's not something that can be backed up with any facts.

So, maybe my expectations of people who are following the path of reason is higher than those who make some sort of leap of faith. It doesn't seem reasonable or rational to expect everyone to think the same way, and have the same needs. That's why I was a little disappointed with my experiences with these new atheists online and attending the meetup groups.

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot if people's metaphysical beliefs about the universe are accurate; what's more important is whether those beliefs are a help to them or a hindrance....and I mentioned that Oleg's view of God is not something that's seems to have any redeeming value

Alright...

Then I'm calling all Atheists everything I said they were...

Wanna recap that for us? This atheist wants to know!

The issue to me is that the clearly intellectually superior Atheist types seem to also infer that anyone who would believe in said "Sky Pixie" is...Kinda...Well...A simpleton..

No, not simpletons. Deluded maybe, but not simpletons.

I've seen that vein run through many of these threads of this type...

True, it can get juvenile. In terms of religion I am a live let live type of person, as long as it does not mess with my life and how I live, or how I think. If you want to believe in sky gods, that's alright by me, I don't care.

It is a matter of faith, but I have found comfort in logic and reasoning. (i am sure this will come back to haunt me in other threads).

Alright...

The perjoratives about God are not really the issue...That's between God and the "blasphemer"...

The issue to me is that the clearly intellectually superior Atheist types seem to also infer that anyone who would believe in said "Sky Pixie" is...Kinda...Well...A simpleton..

Those who use terms like the "invisiable sky god" or and this is a new one to me..."Sky Pixie" - really have not given the idea of God much thought or real intellectual consideration. You must look at the idea of God from a high scientific view - something that is even beyond quantum mechanics or common physics...most can't because they are overcome by sheer spite..and they feel superiour to religious believers...which they probably are - THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF BELIEVERS...RELIGIOUS ONES - AND THOSE THAT ARE FREE THINKERS............atheists are NOT free thinkers - they follow a dogma.

Those who use terms like the "invisiable sky god" or and this is a new one to me..."Sky Pixie" - really have not given the idea of God much thought or real intellectual consideration. You must look at the idea of God from a high scientific view - something that is even beyond quantum mechanics or common physics...most can't because they are overcome by sheer spite..and they feel superiour to religious believers...which they probably are - THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF BELIEVERS...RELIGIOUS ONES - AND THOSE THAT ARE FREE THINKERS............atheists are NOT free thinkers - they follow a dogma.

er

Atheists are not a homogeneous group. Quit broad-brushing.

Your definition of an unquantifiable God is good enough to be considered nonsense. All you have done is moved God beyond what can be understood, making any attempts to live life according to its "standards", "wishes", "values", or "rules" moot. God cannot intervene in human life because it doesn't exist in any way that can be perceived or measured. Many believe in intercessory power, else prayer would be pointless. You're simply redefining God as something beyond debate, analysis or understanding. That's pretty convenient for the conversation at hand for you to believe that. Fact of the matter is that most religious people don't.

Here's an interesting take by a pastor (or whatever they call themselves) on the atheist bus ads in Texas.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20110106/how-not-to-fight-atheism/

Those pastors and concerned Christians who demanded that the transportation authority ban the atheist ads actually gave the secularists the Grand Prize. By precipitating (and, of all things, celebrating) a ban on all religious messages from this public space, these Christians surrendered Gospel opportunities simply because they were offended by an atheist advertisement. No wonder the atheists clapped.

This is a disastrous strategy.

-----------------------

Christianity has enemies, and the greatest victory of these enemies is to prevent the proclamation of the Gospel. The strategy so celebrated in Fort Worth is a route to evangelistic disaster. Religious liberty is a friend of the Gospel, and constraints on religious speech serve the cause of the secularists.

Being a Christian does not mean never having to be offended.

Atheists are not a homogeneous group. Quit broad-brushing.

You're simply redefining God as something beyond debate, analysis or understanding. That's pretty convenient for the conversation at hand for you to believe that. Fact of the matter is that most religious people don't.

Hmmmm.... see a contradiction there ? You're broad brushing about religious people too aren't you. :P

Alright...

The perjoratives about God are not really the issue...That's between God and the "blasphemer"...

Hey, I'm an atheist, and I admit, I've used terms like "Sky Pixie" or "Invisible Sky Daddy" before. However, that does not necessarily mean I consider every believer in god to be a simpleton.

For example, my parents are churchgoers. (Heck, I used to be one too.) It doesn't necessarily mean a lack of intelligence; it could simply mean that their past experiences (e.g. my parents grew up in a rural farming community) did not give them the scientific curiosity or the desire to challenge their belief in god. (However, they do not try to force their beliefs on others.)

Instead, I reserve my scorn for those who either do try to force their religious beliefs on others, or who should know better, but choose to misrepresent science, history, or logic in an attempt to justify their beliefs.

You never see a positive drug story on the news. They always have the same LSD story. You've all seen it: "Today a young man on acid … thought he could fly … jumped out of a building … what a tragedy!" What a dick. He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out? You don't see geese lined up to catch elevators to fly south; they fly from the fucking ground. He's an idiot. He's dead. Good! We lost a moron? Fucking celebrate. There's one less moron in the world.

Wouldn't you like to see a positive LSD story on the news? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition? Perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once?

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

-Bill Hicks