And Here is Why McGuinty Will Win Another Term

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/901672--feuding-rural-mpps-create-headache-for-tim-hudak?bn=1

Randy Hillier, former president of the right-wing reactionary Ontario Land Owners Alliance have been supporting nomination challenges to sitting moderate PC members. Hudak doesn't seem to be too interested in stopping the infighting. He came out with a statement to say everything is OK and we're united. The member who was challenged, who is the longest sitting PC member in caucus, vehemently denies things have been righted.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sweet...

I always knew that dimwit Hillier would cause them problems...

This really underscores the sad state of the PC's in Ontario.They are essentially a rural party that is being shoved around by the likes of Hillier and his useful idiot libertarians.It also underscores the inherent weakness in the Liberal party that because of their gross incompetence,"Wine Tasting Tim" and his merry band of Harrisite/Libertarian buffoons are actually considered the viable alternative.

Going up against Sterling is a really bad idea...He's a long time PC guy going back to the Bill Davis years.

As someone who thoroughly enjoys watching extreme right wingers self immolate...

More of Randy please!!!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/901672--feuding-rural-mpps-create-headache-for-tim-hudak?bn=1

Randy Hillier, former president of the right-wing reactionary Ontario Land Owners Alliance have been supporting nomination challenges to sitting moderate PC members. Hudak doesn't seem to be too interested in stopping the infighting. He came out with a statement to say everything is OK and we're united. The member who was challenged, who is the longest sitting PC member in caucus, vehemently denies things have been righted.

Well, if it's about Tories and its in the Star then it must be just as bad as they say it is! :P

I read the link. Sounds like a nomination battle over one riding to me. Hardly a rift in the entire party! We had a far more bitter nomination fight in my riding between Liberals Sheila Copps and Tony Valeri and I don't recall witnessing the utter destruction of the federal Liberal party because of it.

Looks to me like its just the same old story of those who don't like someone anyway flinging as much crap as possible at anything negative they see, hoping some of it will stick.

It's certainly not enough to make a senior on a fixed income forgive Dalton for the hike to his electricity bill...

Well, if it's about Tories and its in the Star then it must be just as bad as they say it is! :P

I read the link. Sounds like a nomination battle over one riding to me. Hardly a rift in the entire party! We had a far more bitter nomination fight in my riding between Liberals Sheila Copps and Tony Valeri and I don't recall witnessing the utter destruction of the federal Liberal party because of it.

Looks to me like its just the same old story of those who don't like someone anyway flinging as much crap as possible at anything negative they see, hoping some of it will stick.

It's certainly not enough to make a senior on a fixed income forgive Dalton for the hike to his electricity bill...

It's certainly enough to keep urban voters extremely wary of the PC party being hijacked by rural libertarian loons...

I don't need to remind you that Ontario is essentially an urban province,do I?

There's a reason why the 26 seats the Tories have are almost all in rural areas of the province...

Edited by Jack Weber

It's certainly enough to keep urban voters extremely wary of the PC party being hijacked by rural libertarian loons...

I don't need to remind you that Ontario is essentially an urban province,do I?

There's a reason why the 26 seats the Tories have are almost all in rural areas of the province...

Is it similar to the reason that there are almost no Liberal ridings in the rural areas of the province?

I'm just disagreeing that this issue is important enough to most people. I suspect that most folks won't even pay attention, except for political junkies like us.

If you're avid for any dirt on Hudak whatsoever then fine, knock yourself out. I just find the argument a bit of a stretch.

I'm reminded of how years ago the federal Liberals were mired in some deep scandals (like always, I guess!) so when an incident came up that apparently Preston Manning had a dry cleaning bill paid by his party instead of personally the Liberals, led by their mouthpiece the Toronto Star, headlined it as if Manning had robbed every nunnery and orphanage in Canada!

I mean, have some perspective, people!

Is it similar to the reason that there are almost no Liberal ridings in the rural areas of the province?

I'm just disagreeing that this issue is important enough to most people. I suspect that most folks won't even pay attention, except for political junkies like us.

If you're avid for any dirt on Hudak whatsoever then fine, knock yourself out. I just find the argument a bit of a stretch.

I'm reminded of how years ago the federal Liberals were mired in some deep scandals (like always, I guess!) so when an incident came up that apparently Preston Manning had a dry cleaning bill paid by his party instead of personally the Liberals, led by their mouthpiece the Toronto Star, headlined it as if Manning had robbed every nunnery and orphanage in Canada!

I mean, have some perspective, people!

Proabably!!!

But here's the kicker,Bill....

Winning urban ridings wins elections in Ontario...

Winning rural ridings gets you 26 seats and the likes of Randy Hillier usurping the party hierarchy and trying to supplant long time sitting members with rural libertarian whack jobs...

Let's see...

Whacko Randy is clandestinely trying to put his guys from his nutter organization on the ballot in longtime held PC ridings...This is causing enough of a problem that the potential Premier in waiting has to actually issue a statement (no doubt from his Beamsville office...Not 2.5 km's from my computer,by the way).This has the potential to cause a serious rift in that party less than a year away from a provincial election,and you an unabashed Harris supporter/apologist (and no doubt a fan of Wine Tasting Tim),says this is drivel and not worth the trouble because the Star reported it...

Yeah....Right...

And I don't have to dig up dirt on Hudak...He's my MPP (unfortunately)....Niagara/West Glanbrook is a rural riding...Do ya' think maybe some of the Hillier types might be calling the old office in lovely downtown Beamsville???

I know they are hardcore folks because I've met them at all candidates meetings...

Edited by Jack Weber

Proabably!!!

But here's the kicker,Bill....

Winning urban ridings wins elections in Ontario...

Winning rural ridings gets you 26 seats and the likes of Randy Hillier usurping the party hierarchy and trying to supplant long time sitting members with rural libertarian whack jobs...

Let's see...

Whacko Randy is clandestinely trying to put his guys from his nutter organization on the ballot in longtime held PC ridings...This is causing enough of a problem that the potential Premier in waiting has to actually issue a statement (no doubt from his Beamsville office...Not 2.5 km's from my computer,by the way).This has the potential to cause a serious rift in that party less than a year away from a provincial election,and you an unabashed Harris supporter/apologist (and no doubt a fan of Wine Tasting Tim),says this is drivel and not worth the trouble because the Star reported it...

Yeah....Right...

And I don't have to dig up dirt on Hudak...He's my MPP (unfortunately)....Niagara/West Glanbrook is a rural riding...Do ya' think maybe some of the Hillier types might be calling the old office in lovely downtown Beamsville???

I know they are hardcore folks because I've met them at all candidates meetings...

Well Jack, I still don't think the average voter will care! And I think that in a pissing match with the party leader Randy will lose. Even better for Hudak, there's a lot of time for the issue to be forgotten before the next election, even by those who actually care.

As for me being an unabashed Harris/Hudak/Attila supporter, I'm not as much as you might think. Harris did force Amalgamation on Hamilton, remember. I've been trying for some years now to see any area where I pay less and/or get better service for my taxes here in Stoney Creek. Haven't found a single positive for amalgamation yet but maybe I will before I die.

Whatever, I've never been a committed supporter. It's just that those guys smell less to me than the alternatives. I could never vote for the NDP and Dalton is just the biggest, most expensive screwup I've ever seen as premier, rivaling Bob Rae! In fact, I have more respect for Rae. I mostly disagreed with him but at least he didn't break promise after promise and give lie after lie...

I just think you're being partisan, Jack. You don't like conservatives and that's that! I suspect you'd blame Mike or Tim for hurricanes and earthquakes, or at least have deep suspicions that they somehow were involved in causing them! :P

Hey, I could be wrong. Let's revisit this topic in a few weeks and see if anybody but us even remembers...

Well Jack, I still don't think the average voter will care! And I think that in a pissing match with the party leader Randy will lose. Even better for Hudak, there's a lot of time for the issue to be forgotten before the next election, even by those who actually care.

As for me being an unabashed Harris/Hudak/Attila supporter, I'm not as much as you might think. Harris did force Amalgamation on Hamilton, remember. I've been trying for some years now to see any area where I pay less and/or get better service for my taxes here in Stoney Creek. Haven't found a single positive for amalgamation yet but maybe I will before I die.

Whatever, I've never been a committed supporter. It's just that those guys smell less to me than the alternatives. I could never vote for the NDP and Dalton is just the biggest, most expensive screwup I've ever seen as premier, rivaling Bob Rae! In fact, I have more respect for Rae. I mostly disagreed with him but at least he didn't break promise after promise and give lie after lie...

I just think you're being partisan, Jack. You don't like conservatives and that's that! I suspect you'd blame Mike or Tim for hurricanes and earthquakes, or at least have deep suspicions that they somehow were involved in causing them! :P

Hey, I could be wrong. Let's revisit this topic in a few weeks and see if anybody but us even remembers...

I don't like hardline conservatives as equally as I don't like hardline social democrats...At the moment,the conservatives have made themselves an easier target.The kooky left wingers will probably be along shortly to prove my point with some stupid feel good social engineering plan.

The underlying problem for the PC party is that it has been essentially turned into a rural rump.Tjose were Christina Blizzard's words,not mine...It's hard to deny that...

If there is one thing that would torpedo any chances of a PC majority in this province within a year,it's an internal squabble that might go public between the more moderate PC members,and the hardline Hillier types.If Hudak wants more of McGuinty,he's going about it the right way by not nipping this in the bud...

By the way,both Rae and McGuinty were/are essentially Liberals...

Edited by Jack Weber

In fact, I have more respect for Rae. I mostly disagreed with him but at least he didn't break promise after promise and give lie after lie...

OMG, so many progressives/social democrats I know loathe Rae for the promises he broke. Even during his reign, the unions and the left wing of his own party turned against him. Sid Ryan and Buzz Hargrove, who had been some of the most prominent NDP supporters for years, became his enemies after the Social Contract. The NDP was elected in part on a promise to implement public auto insurance, which they backtracked on. Likewise, they failed to muster enough support within their majority government to pass legislation to secure same-sex benefits. They promised that their anti-poverty programmes would eliminate the need for food banks. They failed to seriously tackle this and ended up allocating funds towards food banks themselves. If anything, McGuinty has probably been better on some of these points.

OMG, so many progressives/social democrats I know loathe Rae for the promises he broke. Even during his reign, the unions and the left wing of his own party turned against him. Sid Ryan and Buzz Hargrove, who had been some of the most prominent NDP supporters for years, became his enemies after the Social Contract. The NDP was elected in part on a promise to implement public auto insurance, which they backtracked on. Likewise, they failed to muster enough support within their majority government to pass legislation to secure same-sex benefits. They promised that their anti-poverty programmes would eliminate the need for food banks. They failed to seriously tackle this and ended up allocating funds towards food banks themselves. If anything, McGuinty has probably been better on some of these points.

"Some of these points", ES? That's the rub! Those social democrats broke with Rae over a relatively small number of issues. It's just that to folks of their persuasion they were very important issues!

Meanwhile, there are websites devoted to how many promises McGuinty has broken!

This one has a "Top 50" list:

http://www.ilist4free.com/rants/Dalton-McGuinty-Premier-Ontario.html

Hell, there are even pages on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2266179927&topic=3357

I'm not denying that Rae upset many of his supporters but McGuinty is in a league of his own!

I don't like hardline conservatives as equally as I don't like hardline social democrats...At the moment,the conservatives have made themselves an easier target.The kooky left wingers will probably be along shortly to prove my point with some stupid feel good social engineering plan.

The underlying problem for the PC party is that it has been essentially turned into a rural rump.Tjose were Christina Blizzard's words,not mine...It's hard to deny that...

If there is one thing that would torpedo any chances of a PC majority in this province within a year,it's an internal squabble that might go public between the more moderate PC members,and the hardline Hillier types.If Hudak wants more of McGuinty,he's going about it the right way by not nipping this in the bud...

By the way,both Rae and McGuinty were/are essentially Liberals...

"Rural rump"? Jack, have you been following the polls and reading the papers?

Hudak doesn't have to do anything. McGuinty is doing it all for him! Dalton keeps ticking off more and more people. Every time someone opens their electricity bill they start thinking about voting for Tim!

Ha, OK, those lists are pretty impressive, I'll grant you. Tbh, I didn't even remember that McGuinty promised most of those things. I don't know if anyone could have accomplished all of that!

xpost

Yeah, it's really quite amazing that he got away with it for so long. He broke promise after promise but nothing ever really stuck to him!

Still, the pot seemed to slowly get hotter and hotter, even if it didn't appear to be outright bubbling. At the start of John Tory's campaign it really looked like Dalton might be in trouble but then Tory snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by opening up the religious school funding issue!

That was an incredibly dumb thing for John Tory to have done. His advisers must all have been young pups not mature enough to remember when Bill Davis had given the Separate Boards equal funding. Basically, he had never campaigned on the issue. He just pulled the idea out of his butt, implemented it and resigned before the flack from the voters hit the fan!

It caused immense controversy that hasn't gone away totally even today. Because it was a fait accompli people had no choice to accept it but just because it hadn't been talked about for all these years didn't mean that people had come to approve of it. Again, his advisers must have been appallingly ignorant!

Now the polls show Hudak with a BIG lead! McGuinty seems to have managed to tick off nearly everybody, just by doing only a few at a time with each broken promise and each new tax or user fee.

As long as Hudak doesn't pull a John Tory he should be a shoo-in for Dalton's job next election.

"Rural rump"? Jack, have you been following the polls and reading the papers?

Hudak doesn't have to do anything. McGuinty is doing it all for him! Dalton keeps ticking off more and more people. Every time someone opens their electricity bill they start thinking about voting for Tim!

Sad,is'nt it?

Our three headed Hobsian choice in the province is ...

Door #1...Dalton McStupid

Door#2...Wine Tasting Tim,the Harrisite/Flaharty clone

Door#3...Andrea Horwath and the chronically "Not ready for Prime Time" NDP...

I hope for the sake of the province, McGuinty is pushed as far away from power as possible. He's been a miserable failure. And anyone cheerleading his re-election is cheerleading for higher unemployment, deeper deficits, unsustainable debt and lawlessness in Caledonia. Yay McGuinty! :rolleyes:

I hope for the sake of the province, McGuinty is pushed as far away from power as possible. He's been a miserable failure. And anyone cheerleading his re-election is cheerleading for higher unemployment, deeper deficits, unsustainable debt and lawlessness in Caledonia. Yay McGuinty! :rolleyes:

I think people are over rating the hatred for McGuinty and I suspect there will be some very disappointed PCs come the next election. The one constant fact about McGuinty is that he is like Teflon in that very little has stuck to him, and he seems to recover the most bizarre issues. Then we have Hudak and Horvath that provide an alternative....like nothing.... Harris so screwed up this province and its finances that I don't think Hudak will recover...yet...

If he has a chance it will be a minority government which will be lame to say the least. However, McGuinty still has a lot of people in Toronto who still love him, while Hudak has many urbanites that just don't trust him. With guys like Hillier on the team who could blame them?

Ha, OK, those lists are pretty impressive, I'll grant you.

And inaccurate. First of all, some of the things on the list are really the same thing over and over, and other things are just inaccurate (not investing in rural roads and bridges, for example). Yet others are simply statements of opinion. Most of them though, are simply reflections of reality. Oh, and some of them, well, he was stretching the truth. We all do it.

I think you're underestimating the dislike and disapproval of him. His lose will be similar to George Smithermans, except province wide.

Nope. I don't think so. Where is the outrage in the media when McGuinty makes a decision? None. The only complaints are isolated ones like those found here and most of them are uninformed opinions without any basis in fact. No one takes hem seriously.

However, McGuinty does find favour among the big Toronto corporations and well that is all that matters. If Toronto stays Liberal there isn't much the rest of the Province is going to say to change it. Money speaks.

i would vote for a jar of dog voomit before id vote for McGuinty.

Seconded. I've yet to find anyone willing to admit they voted for him. And I live in his riding. Mcgunity has been a disaster for Ontario on every concievable front.

Edited by Argus