And Here is Why McGuinty Will Win Another Term

Yep. To suggest we need a tax to spur investment is ridiculous. If you want to really spur investment. Allow people to keep more of the money they make when they risk their own.

This isn't a new tax, it's simply a shift of taxes. It reduces the paperwork that businesses have to do, and it increases the rebates that they can claim for input. There's a reason that the Government of Canada wants all provinces to go to the HST. Hopefully at some point, they will. It will make Canada that much more of an attractive investment.

And yes Shady, the appropriate taxes do spur investment. Lowering corporate and business taxes as Ontario and Canada are doing, spurs investment. Switching from the combination of the GST/PST to the HST spurs investment. Cutting taxes for the sake of cutting taxes doesn't do anything.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's a good thing that the PCs are in the news as it may nudge some voters into paying attention to the party and what it has to say. This is especially true with the growing discontentment with the McGuinty government. As for the supposed internal feuding, common sense says that battling for nominations is a good sign and rational people will see it for what it is. It demonstrates that the party is attractive to potential candidates. And that's way better than situations where a leader interferes with nominations. IMO that's democracy in action.

I think nomination battles are good for potential candidates in unheld ridings. Caucus members trying to turf others says the party is dysfunctional and can't be trusted to act as a team in the best interests of the province. There really is such thing as bad press.

Furthermore, the next time something comes up about Ignatieff being a poor leader because he isn't able to keep his people in line, I'm quoting this post.

Yeah tbh I'm a little surprised by the level of anger over the HST. It seems like a sensible thing to do instead of collecting separate PST and GST taxes. Every other progressive-leaning person seems to hate it though.

This isn't a new tax, it's simply a shift of taxes. It reduces the paperwork that businesses have to do, and it increases the rebates that they can claim for input. There's a reason that the Government of Canada wants all provinces to go to the HST. Hopefully at some point, they will. It will make Canada that much more of an attractive investment.

And yes Shady, the appropriate taxes do spur investment. Lowering corporate and business taxes as Ontario and Canada are doing, spurs investment. Switching from the combination of the GST/PST to the HST spurs investment. Cutting taxes for the sake of cutting taxes doesn't do anything.

This isn't a new tax, it's simply a shift of taxes.

Well, it shifted 10 cents a litre more on the cost of gasoline. Which we weren't paying before. So you're claim about it not being a new tax is bogus. It's certainly a new tax on many things. If you really want to spur investment. Like I've already said, let people keep more of the money they earn from they money they invest/risk. Or better yet, eliminate the GST. That solves any GST/PST problem.

So Shady wants to rescind the HST, a tax that spurs investment?

He might,but Hudak won't...

This is because he agrees with Jim Flaharty,one of his mentors and the guy he backed for the Ontario PC leadership several years ago(the guy who wanted to jail the homeless on compassionate grounds)...

The same Jim Flaharty who wanted an HSTlike tax in this province when he was Finance Minister.

Remember,it's the Federal Conservatives,with a little help from Mr.Ignatieff,who allowed this tax to take place...

And Bill is right,they just can't rescind it even if they wanted to...

I've yet to find anyone willing to admit they voted for him. And I live in his riding. Mcgunity has been a disaster for Ontario on every concievable front.

I'm voting Liberal next election, which is a vote for McGuinty, if he is still the leader.

Why? It's their philosophy that's put Ontario in a deep hole to begin with. We don't need either of them in power. Once again, Ontario needs somebody that will cut taxes, and cut spending across the board. If we don't, we'll be Greece in 5 years. Enough is a god damn nough.

See, I'm not sure that 'Liberal-NDP philosophy' is primarily responsible for ON's current economic troubles as they are. The collapse of ON's manufacturing sector was probably an inevitable result of globalization and economic development around the world but it would seem that FTA/NAFTA probably accelerated the process. It was in this context, as well as a continent-wide recession that in Canada was worse than the recent/current one, that Bob Rae took power. While some cuts probably were necessary afterwards, I'm not sure that Harris did that much to improve our economy to make up for all the suffering that was caused - and we were still left with a deficit. In fact, TD Bank economists have stated that ON's business climate has improved under McGuinty - i.e. It is better than it was under Harris/Eves.

Now, of course, we have been dealing with another worldwide recession that can certainly not be attributed to any[/i ]Canadian political party. In terms of 'philosophy', however, if anything, neoliberal policies, esp wrt banking, seem to have contributed most towards economic collapse in some of the countries that have suffered the most.

Well, it shifted 10 cents a litre more on the cost of gasoline.

And in turn, it shifted costs off of business. It also lessened so called red tape for them. It lowered their cost of doing business and in turn, made Ontario a more attractive place to invest.

So you're claim about it not being a new tax is bogus.

No actually, it isn't. True, it does apply to some new things, but, unless you drive far more than average, it all comes out in the wash.

Like I've already said, let people keep more of the money they earn from they money they invest/risk. Or better yet, eliminate the GST. That solves any GST/PST problem.

And then what? Cut $35B in spending? From where? That's more than 10% of the budget including auto bailout and stimulus. It's more than 15% of the budget during normal times. Such a cut would not only be irresponsible, it would border on anarchical. Cutting taxes and/or spending, despite what Hannity may tell you, is not always a good thing.

Edited by Smallc

And in turn. it shifted costs off of business. It also lessened so called red tape for them. It lowered their cost of doing business and in turn, made Ontario a more attractive place to do business.

No actually, it isn't. True, it does apply to some new things, but, unless you drive far more than average, it all comes out in the wash.

And then what? Cut $35B in spending? From where? That's more than 10% of the budget including auto bailout and stimulus. It's more than 15% of the budget during normal times. Such a cut would not only be irresponsible, it would border on anarchical. Cutting taxes and/or spending, despite what Hannity may tell you, is not always a good thing.

:lol:

I see you've able to deduce that The Professor is an expert on economic theory and its proper application in the real world...

And then what? Cut $35B in spending? From where?

Yes, cut spending. From everywhere. Across the board.

That's more than 10% of the budget including auto bailout and stimulus.

Yep. But as a result, it will lessen red tape, lower cost of doing business and in turn, make Ontario and Canada a more attractive place to invest.

Also, allow people to keep more of the money they make from the money they risk. That's the best way to promote investment. Not shifting taxes around. :rolleyes:

You should like a member of team McGuinty/team Harper.

If it's bad for my guys the news source must be a commie rag! If it's good, well, we'll let them slide this time. ;)

How about from the Globe and Mail?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/adam-radwanski/ontario-tories-struggle-to-prevent-civil-war-on-eastern-front/article1825137/

I'm not denying something happened! I'm saying that it is not as important as some are claiming. The Globe wants to sell newspapers too!

Whether something is reported in the Post or the Red Star is irrelevant. Nobody is denying that something is going on. We just have different opinions as to how many ordinary voters will actually care.

Yes, cut spending. From everywhere. Across the board.

The Military? Because that's the biggest department in Ottawa, by far. Transfers to the provinces for health? Then what? The provinces will simply have to run bigger deficits to pick up the tab.

Yep. But as a result, it will lessen red tape, lower cost of doing business and in turn, make Ontario and Canada a more attractive place to invest.

Please, in clear language, explain how. You haven't as of yet explained how crippling Canada's ability to operate will make things better for business.

Also, allow people to keep more of the money they make from the money they risk. That's the best way to promote investment. Not shifting taxes around. :rolleyes:

What in the world are you talking about? Capital gains taxes aren't even high here. That's what it sounds like you're talking about.

You should like a member of team McGuinty/team Harper.

IF you meant be a member, fine. It's better than team Shady.

I'm voting Liberal next election, which is a vote for McGuinty, if he is still the leader.

This is not surprising. Many people have only one or two issues that are most important to them. For some it's native issues, for others it's legalization of marijuana.

Most of us find the decision much more difficult. Some pot champions would seem to be willing to vote for Charles Manson or Richard Ing if they were promised to end Pot Prohibition. However, there are a lot more issues that concern the majority of voters, many of them conflicting.

Since with the death of the Reform Party the idea of more direct democracy has withered away, we are left with the traditional system where we vote for a candidate and a party that has a large bundle of promises. We have to accept the whole thing or vote for someone else. We don't get to pick and chose. We ordinary citizens don't get a "line item veto".

Sometimes that means accepting some things that we don't support, because in toto the "other guy's" bundle has more of them. Sometimes one or two of the items in the bundle bag might be deal breakers.

I'm having serious second thoughts about voting CPC next election. The fact that they would adopt someone like Fantino, along with all the talk about putting him into cabinet, strikes directly at too many of my core values. I simply don't respect the man for his attitudes towards the rights of individual citizens. I'm sure that he's too pig-headed to admit it but I believe him to be racist in his application of the law.

For Harper to pick Fantino makes me question his own values and those of his party. The only thing that would make me continue to vote for him is the fact that the Liberals and Ignatieff strike me as worse, when the whole package is added up.

I like to say that I always vote for who smells the least. This next time even the least of the smells is going to be pretty rank to my nose! Perhaps the Liberals will get their act together for the election after the next one and I might switch my allegiance.

Oh well. I'm sure I'm not the only Canadian who doesn't have a choice he REALLY favours!

McGinty has the brain of a mentally over extended scientologist suffering from chronic hyperactivity. The guy looks like a weasil. He smiles like a weasil. He talks like a weasil...and anyone that would re-elect him has vested interests in enterprises there a weasil con man is needed.

Yep. We've already been through that "Common Sense" Revolution. It didn't make much sense and look at where the PCs are right now.

The Military? Because that's the biggest department in Ottawa, by far. Transfers to the provinces for health? Then what? The provinces will simply have to run bigger deficits to pick up the tab.

I'll say it again. Cut 10% across the board. Does that include the military? Yep.

Please, in clear language, explain how. You haven't as of yet explained how crippling Canada's ability to operate will make things better for business.

I disagree with your premise. It's pure hyperbole to suggest that Canada's ability to operate will be so-called crippled.

Capital gains taxes aren't even high here. That's what it sounds like you're talking about.

You're completely wrong about capital gains taxes in Canada. And yes, that's also what I'm talking about. That's a real incentive for investment. Not shifting existing taxes around.

Yep. We've already been through that "Common Sense" Revolution. It didn't make much sense and look at where the PCs are right now.

The Common Sense Revolution led to a more prosperous Ontario. It led to mass job creation, low unemployment, and a balanced budget. It wasn't much different than what the Liberals did federally in the mid to late 90's.

The Common Sense Revolution led to a more prosperous Ontario. It led to mass job creation, low unemployment, and a balanced budget. It wasn't much different than what the Liberals did federally in the mid to late 90's.

The common sense revolution was just some old dated Nazi social engineering..now Harris sits on the board with other old school Hitler worshippers.

Yep. Just like Nazis. :rolleyes:

You would be surprised what beliefs some of the old Germanic or Austrian bosses have and where they got their start up money..You might think it's funny..but my comment might have shed some light on intergenerational Nazism..the movement never quite died.

I'll say it again. Cut 10% across the board. Does that include the military? Yep.

Everything? Even if that leaves government unable to function properly in many departments?

I disagree with your premise. It's pure hyperbole to suggest that Canada's ability to operate will be so-called crippled.

I'm not so sure it is. Try suddenly cutting what is actually 15% from your own budget when you're already given up your entertainment budget (as we did as a country in the 90s).

You're completely wrong about capital gains taxes in Canada. And yes, that's also what I'm talking about. That's a real incentive for investment. Not shifting existing taxes around.

Capital gains taxes in Canada are very low. They apply to only half of the gain. That makes them lower than the US. Coupled with what will soon be the lowest corporate taxes in the G7 and some of the lowest in the western world, along with low small business taxes; what more do you want?

Edited by Smallc

Everything? Even if that leaves government unable to function properly in many departments?

I disagree with that premise. When the Liberals cut 20% in the mid to late 90's, did that leave the government unable to function properly? Nope. It set us up for a strong economic revival, and a sound fiscal situation.

I'm not so sure it is. Try suddenly cutting what is actually 15% from your own budget when you're already given up your entertainment budget (as we did as a country in the 90s).

I didn't say 15%. I said 10%. Yes, it's difficult, but necessary. Not to mention the federal budget has grown leaps and bounds since the 90s.

Capital gains taxes in Canada are very low.

No they aren't.

I disagree with that premise. When the Liberals cut 20% in the mid to late 90's, did that leave the government unable to function properly? Nope. It set us up for a strong economic revival, and a sound fiscal situation.

Actually, healthcare, the military, and several other departments were very negatively affected.

I didn't say 15%. I said 10%. Yes, it's difficult, but necessary. Not to mention the federal budget has grown leaps and bounds since the 90s.

You said to eliminate the GST. If you do that, and you cut 10% of the budget, you'll be increasing the deficit.

No they aren't.

The maximum payable rate is less than 25%, and most people don't come anywhere near there. besides that, capital gains tax have a very small affect on the economy. I'm not sure what you think that the rates should be.