And Here is Why McGuinty Will Win Another Term

Nope. I don't think so.

I definitely think so.

Where is the outrage in the media when McGuinty makes a decision? None.

Who cares about outrage in the mainstream media? This is the same media that told us the race for mayor of Toronto was a virtual tie. So who gives a shit. It wouldn't be the first time the media was disconnected from the feelings of the general public. I know you're hoping that McGuinty wins another term. But don't replace hope for facts.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for him twice, largely because I see the alternatives the same way Jack does but also because I do think that despite their faults, the Liberals have made some progress in a number of areas during difficult times. No government in Canada or the US that I know of has attempted to do all the things that McGuinty allegedly promised according to those lists. The PCs certainly won't. (They won't promise to, which may make them more honest or less cynical. However, considering that I fully expect that they will make it harder for me to keep making a living in Ontario if they win, that doesn't make me very eager to vote for them.) The ONDP did not imo run on credible platforms in the last two elections. In provinces where we do see NDP governments, their policies do not strike me as especially different from McGuinty's in the areas of social programmes or the environment. Perhaps their tax policies are a little different.

Where is the outrage in the media when McGuinty makes a decision? None. The only complaints are isolated ones like those found here and most of them are uninformed opinions without any basis in fact. No one takes hem seriously.

There was plenty of coverage once the outrage against eco taxes was felt. That outrage was unleashed by the citizens.

The HST and eco fees are what broke the camel's back. Looking at those placards, evidently Ontarians have had enough. McGuinty will be brought down next October.

See the citizens in action in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptXtQ4ligM

Photos.

http://blog.xanthippas.com/2010/08/07/photos-from-august-7th-anti-eco-tax-protest-in-ottawa-part-1-the-speakers/

Media.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/protestors+call+McGuinty+resignation/3291646/story.html?id=3291646

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/07/17/14746121.html

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101023/OTT_hst_protest_101023/20101023/?hub=OttawaHome

There were others there as well including David McGuinty who was spotted making sure his brother’s new tax didn’t cause riots in his federal riding

http://www.perspectiveottawa.com/?p=1787

Hee hee, David McGuinty sitting in his car looking on the protest to see who was there. I'm sure he wanted to witness whether any protesters got unruly which of course did not happen. Heck, looking at the video and photos there was nary a cop in sight of the protest.

There was plenty of coverage once the outrage against eco taxes was felt. That outrage was unleashed by the citizens.

The HST and eco fees are what broke the camel's back. Looking at those placards, evidently Ontarians have had enough. McGuinty will be brought down next October.

See the citizens in action in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptXtQ4ligM

Photos.

http://blog.xanthippas.com/2010/08/07/photos-from-august-7th-anti-eco-tax-protest-in-ottawa-part-1-the-speakers/

Media.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/protestors+call+McGuinty+resignation/3291646/story.html?id=3291646

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/07/17/14746121.html

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101023/OTT_hst_protest_101023/20101023/?hub=OttawaHome

http://www.perspectiveottawa.com/?p=1787

Hee hee, David McGuinty sitting in his car looking on the protest to see who was there. I'm sure he wanted to witness whether any protesters got unruly which of course did not happen. Heck, looking at the video and photos there was nary a cop in sight of the protest.

IN the beginning. BUT he listened to the people and withdrew them. This will give him more support from those who are grateful he rescinded the taxes.

IN the beginning. BUT he listened to the people and withdrew them. This will give him more support from those who are grateful he rescinded the taxes.

He's already said that the shortfall by rescinding those taxes will be made up for....You guessed it....By other taxes....

McGuinty is dead man walking...By his own clueless hand.

The issue is that what we have behind door #2 or #3 is actually worse!!!

We are completely screwed in this province...I suspect we are heading for a minority PC or Maybe a minority Liberal gov't,mainly on what happens in the 905...

Edited by Jack Weber

I don't like the HST on the Hydro the most but I just wondering, since the Tories are in the lead in the polls, how are they going to fix everything the Libs have done and make you all happy? I don't think they will or can, especially with the HST. It was the Tories Feds that bribed the ON Libs to start this process. The Harris years hurt too many people and until ALL those members are gone out of the party I won't vote PC for ON.

I'm hoping for some sort of Liberal-NDP coalition or minority.

Why? It's their philosophy that's put Ontario in a deep hole to begin with. We don't need either of them in power. Once again, Ontario needs somebody that will cut taxes, and cut spending across the board. If we don't, we'll be Greece in 5 years. Enough is a god damn nough.

Why? It's their philosophy that's put Ontario in a deep hole to begin with. We don't need either of them in power. Once again, Ontario needs somebody that will cut taxes, and cut spending across the board. If we don't, we'll be Greece in 5 years. Enough is a god damn nough.

Not nearly enough.. Cutting taxes won't fix anything and will likely make things worse.

Not nearly enough.. Cutting taxes won't fix anything and will likely make things worse.

Complete nonsense. All of McGuinty's new taxes need to be rescinded, and an across the board 10% cut in spending needs to be initiated as soon as possible.

Complete nonsense. All of McGuinty's new taxes need to be rescinded, and an across the board 10% cut in spending needs to be initiated as soon as possible.

So Professor,seeing even Hudak is'nt talking like this,mainly because of the unintended chaos it would create....

Where exactly would you cut?

Some of the consumption taxes perhaps....

But what else???

I already said, a 10% across the board cut in spending. In addition, rescinding all of McGuinty's new taxes. The HST, the so-called green tax, etc.

So why do you think Wine Tasting Tim is'nt talking like this?

For all his empty bluster,he won't even rescind the HST(except...maybe...sorta...selectively)!

Edited by Jack Weber

So why do you think Wine Tasting Tim is'nt talking like this?

For all his empty bluster,he won't even rescind the HST(except...maybe...sorta...selectively)!

Maybe he doesn't think it's necessary. If he does, I don't agree with him. But I'm guessing we won't see any real campaign platforms until an actual election.

Maybe he doesn't think it's necessary. If he does, I don't agree with him. But I'm guessing we won't see any real campaign platforms until an actual election.

I'm guessing if Wine Tasting Tim blathers on like the Harris accolyte that he is,he'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg....

I'm guessing if Wine Tasting Tim blathers on like the Harris accolyte that he is,he'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg....

Most people I know don't have such short memories.When McGuinty took over and promised no new taxes, everyone was surprised that the Conservatives had cooked the books. When he did impose a new tax he justified by saying the Conservatives understated the deficit and he had no choice. I think Ontarians also realize that we are on the verge of a power crisis in this province and we will have to pay through the nose for new electrical plants and additional wind and solar projects if we want to survive. Many people will forgive him for this too.

The federal Conservatives are to blame for the HST, and most people are not politically savvy enough to understand that the PCs are a different party. Yet I think Hudak will easily take a big hit because of the name.

The best the PC's will do is a minority but don't be surprised if McGuinty squeaks a small majority out of the next election. Ontario - especially the 905 / 416 are not too happy with the Harper Conservatives and Hudak will lose votes because of it. That is traditionally how Ontarians have voted in the past.

Seconded. I've yet to find anyone willing to admit they voted for him. And I live in his riding. Mcgunity has been a disaster for Ontario on every concievable front.

I voted for him and will vote for him again. I'm really not wild about McGuinty, I don't really like him. However, what's the alternative? The NDP? Ha! Horwath is dumber than McGuinty, and Hudak right now is McGuinty lite. He complains about everything McGuinty does but has yet to say what he'll do. He's whined the loudest about the HST, however, when directly asked if he'd repeal it he said absolutely nothing, if not for anything other than the reason that the guy really holding the leash in the Ontario PC party, Harper, wanted it implemented to begin with.

Edited by nicky10013

I voted for him and will vote for him again. I'm really not wild about McGuinty, I don't really like him. However, what's the alternative? The NDP? Ha! Horwath is dumber than McGuinty, and Hudak right now is McGuinty lite. He complains about everything McGuinty does but has yet to say what he'll do. He's whined the loudest about the HST, however, when directly asked if he'd repeal it he said absolutely nothing, if not for anything other than the reason that the guy really holding the leash in the Ontario PC party, Harper, wanted it implemented to begin with.

We've covered this before but it seems people just don't want to accept it. Hudak CAN'T just repeal the HST! Dalton signed a deal with the feds that has a huge 'poison pill' in it. If Ontario pulls out of the HST then it will pay a huge financial penalty, one much higher than we can afford.

So to blame him if he doesn't repeal it is just stupid, ignorant partisanship! If he did it and we paid the penalty then you'd all scream even louder!

The most he can do if he wins power is to apply some specific exemptions, like maybe electricity bills or with the price of gasoline.

Geez, let's all not keep pulling a CR here! :angry:

Well, if it's about Tories and its in the Star then it must be just as bad as they say it is! :P

I read the link. Sounds like a nomination battle over one riding to me. Hardly a rift in the entire party! We had a far more bitter nomination fight in my riding between Liberals Sheila Copps and Tony Valeri and I don't recall witnessing the utter destruction of the federal Liberal party because of it.

Looks to me like its just the same old story of those who don't like someone anyway flinging as much crap as possible at anything negative they see, hoping some of it will stick.

It's certainly not enough to make a senior on a fixed income forgive Dalton for the hike to his electricity bill...

If it's bad for my guys the news source must be a commie rag! If it's good, well, we'll let them slide this time. ;)

How about from the Globe and Mail?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/adam-radwanski/ontario-tories-struggle-to-prevent-civil-war-on-eastern-front/article1825137/

Actually, it's a good thing that the PCs are in the news as it may nudge some voters into paying attention to the party and what it has to say. This is especially true with the growing discontentment with the McGuinty government. As for the supposed internal feuding, common sense says that battling for nominations is a good sign and rational people will see it for what it is. It demonstrates that the party is attractive to potential candidates. And that's way better than situations where a leader interferes with nominations. IMO that's democracy in action.

So Shady wants to rescind the HST, a tax that spurs investment?

Yep. To suggest we need a tax to spur investment is ridiculous. If you want to really spur investment. Allow people to keep more of the money they make when they risk their own.