Best TV Openings ?

Michael Hardner

I have Bell TV - which includes a few channels that pour out the vast back catalogue of old TV shows, like sludge coming out of an old pipe. Of course, when it comes to nostalgia my sludge is your gold. The addition of the new Comedy Gold channel set me off on a 15 minute tour of the schedule looking for old shows I could record on my Personal Video Recorder.

I found a show that I used to love as a youth, but that I loved ONLY for the opening. That was Hawaii Five O, which I understand has been redone now.and which I haven't yet seen. But it can't have the same energy of the opening sequence of the original show.

It starts with the show title zooming in from underneath a massive curling wave, as drums pound ... getting louder until a suite of horns gets us started. The sequence that follows is almost out of time, with cuts happening so quickly that they seem like they come from a music video from 10 or 20 years in the future.

The shot of the lead (the iconic McGarrett - Jack Lord) is done as a zoom that seems to start from miles away, and finally captures our hero on the top floor balcony of an apartment building. The other actors are caught running, then freeze-framed. (Zulu as Kono ! Kam Fong as Chin Ho !)

I taped the show, watched the opening 3 times, then deleted it. God bless the digital age.

This, I submit, is the best TV opening there is. Of course it's arguable, which is why I posted it here. It also strikes me that there are lots of bad shows with great openings, but I can't think of a great show with a bad opening.

All in the Family ? Great show, great opening. Bob Newhart ? Twilight Zone ? Law and Order ? All great openings.

Edited by Michael Hardner

Gee how far back do we go? What about the opening for some of the western of the '60's like the Rifleman, Bonanza, Have gun will travel, Maverick, The Flintstones, Mickey Mouse Club- the original, 77 Sunset Strip, Ben Casey, The Patty Duke Show, Walt Disney, and the list goes on. There was a guy out of Cleveland, Ohio, on channel 8 11PM every Friday night back in the '60's and he hosted B horror movies. His show would open with him blowing something up with a firecracker, had saying like"Turn Blue" Would put himself on the movie screen with a monster and he stand there and tell the thing off! People around the Great Lakes area would sent him things to blow up on his show.

Gee how far back do we go? What about the opening for some of the western of the '60's like the Rifleman, Bonanza, Have gun will travel, Maverick, The Flintstones, Mickey Mouse Club- the original, 77 Sunset Strip, Ben Casey, The Patty Duke Show, Walt Disney, and the list goes on. There was a guy out of Cleveland, Ohio, on channel 8 11PM every Friday night back in the '60's and he hosted B horror movies. His show would open with him blowing something up with a firecracker, had saying like"Turn Blue" Would put himself on the movie screen with a monster and he stand there and tell the thing off! People around the Great Lakes area would sent him things to blow up on his show.

Some of those are before my time, but Patty Duke was a great one and the Flintstones too...

Some of those are before my time, but Patty Duke was a great one and the Flintstones too...

Hwaii 5-0 had the greatest opening... The new one is not as good, but they retained the spirit of the original one.

The Flinstones... a classic

Law and order... elegant in its simplicity

Bonanza... the music

Star Trek Voyager... made me dream

Out of curiosity - I went to TV Guide's List of best shows ever and took the top 10, eliminating news and variety shows:

1. Seinfeld (NBC)

2. I Love Lucy (CBS)

3. The Honeymooners (CBS)

4. All in the Family (CBS)

5. The Sopranos (HBO)

6. The Simpsons (Fox)

7. The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)

8. The Mary Tyler Moore Show (CBS)

9. The Dick Van Dyke Show (CBS)

10. Hill Street Blues (NBC)

Seinfeld is the anomaly, but it always was different - a minimalist show with a minimalist albeit great theme song - just a simple bass riff with some horns. Every other show on that list has a boffo opening bit.

....This, I submit, is the best TV opening there is. Of course it's arguable, which is why I posted it here. It also strikes me that there are lots of bad shows with great openings, but I can't think of a great show with a bad opening.

Then argue we shall...as the best "opening" goes to CBS' Mission Impossible, because of Lalo Shifrin's music and changing peek at the current episode's scenes. I'm with Topaz on the longer time horizon trouncing contemporary offerings, as Peter Gunn would also be on the list.

Compare the MI opening to Hawaii Five-O's:

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I didn't watch that show - I'm not sure why. Maybe I was too young. But I still like the 5-0 opener better. One reason is that the MI clips look like they were culled from shows. Still, that's also a great opening.

Other good openings:

- original Happy Days beginning

- Wait Til Your Father Gets Home

- My World and Welcome To It

- Perry Mason and that excellent theme song - another one I would watch for the opening

- Green Acres

I'll give you maximum credit for a fun topic...let's see how your list compares to a dedicated blog on the matter.

Top 40 best TV show songs / themes:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2008/11/the-20-best-tv-theme-songs-of-all-time.html

I am also very partial to ITV's (UK) very classy opening for The Avengers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0YOlU3SMgs&feature=related

That top 40 list was for songs only, yet still overlaps with many of the choices submitted here. Makes you wonder if the opening is possibly the key factor in getting a show started towards success - the invitation to the uninitiated viewer. Or maybe the talent that made the shows great also made the openings great.

That top 40 list was for songs only, yet still overlaps with many of the choices submitted here....

I submit that the "song" (theme music and/or lyrics) is critical to such success because it functions like the "hook" in a pop music tune. The sound of the opening (and closing) credits signaled and beckoned the viewers attention. This one was particularly effective:

As was this...remember (if old enough)...these animated shows aired in prime time.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Mod Squad ,,,, again great brass horns

The Prisoner...was great too,,,and it had brass horns too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBvc84J_F2E

alot of those old tv show themes had great horn sections in the mix.

As a kid i can recall the animal show themes that i liked

Flipper

littlest hobo

Edited by political sun

I submit that the "song" (theme music and/or lyrics) is critical to such success because it functions like the "hook" in a pop music tune. The sound of the opening (and closing) credits signaled and beckoned the viewers attention.

You are so right! I think the Flintstones theme is a prime example. You know where you're at as soon as you hear "Yabba-Dabba Doo!"

Some others...

"Get ready for action!"

I have this on a sci-fi compilation CD. I've never even seen this show, but this song has me stoked about the next half hour! It makes me want to grab some bongos and play along.

I always loved the King of the Hill intro. The music was energetic and instantly recognizable, and the sequence introduces the premise and the characters. The Simpsons opening sequence is the same, and moreso. I always feel cheated if I catch an episode in syndication and they've trimmed the intro to squeeze in more ads. The full intro shows off the whole town of Springfield, and most of the many characters that inhabit it.

And needless to say...

-k

Dexter has an excellent opener for current shows.

The best in recent years was the first few seasons of Weeds. The theme song was the same in each epsiode, but it was done by a different artist for every episode. They also have the same titles but with different graphics to this day.

1. Seinfeld (NBC)

2. I Love Lucy (CBS)

3. The Honeymooners (CBS)

4. All in the Family (CBS)

5. The Sopranos (HBO)

6. The Simpsons (Fox)

7. The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)

8. The Mary Tyler Moore Show (CBS)

9. The Dick Van Dyke Show (CBS)

10. Hill Street Blues (NBC)

Any Top Ten list that does not have The Wire at first or second is a joke.