Mackay Cancells Imam's Speech due to "Extremism"

http://www.theprovince.com/news/MacKay+pulls+plug+imam+speech+defence/3611794/story.html

A disgusting slap in the face to the muslim community. For this government, Islamic Canadians have clearly become a punching bag so Harper and his cronies can appear to be pro-Israeli and tough on terror. These are politically motivated attacks and should be denounced.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNzIW3cnng

So the CIC now feels totally different? New guy at the helm...suddenly everyone involved loves Israel? Seems doubtful.

The guy resigned in disgrace. So, it seems to me that the CIC never felt that way to begin with. The new head is a moderate and has already spoken at DFAIT. So what has changed between his speech at foriegn affairs and now? Oh yeah, that's right, the government needed to use something for political expediency.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/MacKay+pulls+plug+imam+speech+defence/3611794/story.html

A disgusting slap in the face to the muslim community. For this government, Islamic Canadians have clearly become a punching bag so Harper and his cronies can appear to be pro-Israeli and tough on terror. These are politically motivated attacks and should be denounced.

on continuing parade... Harper Conservative Speech Warriors!

What do you mean by the muslim community. I don't see anything in your link that says any such thing. By your standard I can counter your claim that the muslim community is pleased that the speech was cancelled.

Sohail Raza, president of the Muslim Canadian Congress, said he is happy Mr. MacKay cancelled the speech by Imam Zijad Delic.

He said comments the Canadian Islamic Congress has made in the past are not welcome in Canada.

“I think organizations that speak out against Canadian values should not be invited to any forum,” he said, referring to 2004 comments by Dr. Mohamed Elmasry, a member of the congress, who said Israelis over the age of 18 are legitimate targets of suicide bombers because of mandatory military service.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/muslim-group-welcomes-cancellation-of-imams-speech-at-dnd-headquarters/article1739841/

For this government, Islamic Canadians have clearly become a punching bag

With what you posted in your OP, you're miles away from proving the point you're trying to make that Harper loathes muslims. Try again.

What do you mean by the muslim community. I don't see anything in your link that says any such thing. By your standard I can counter your claim that the muslim community is pleased that the speech was cancelled.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/muslim-group-welcomes-cancellation-of-imams-speech-at-dnd-headquarters/article1739841/

With what you posted in your OP, you're miles away from proving the point you're trying to make that Harper loathes muslims. Try again.

There was one unwelcomed comment for which the person resigned. Does that then stain the organization despite what the government and rival community organizations say? It was 6 years ago and the offending person is gone. The fact that they'd bring into disrepute a respected community organization to score a few cheap political points against terror and for Israel is insulting to the Islamic community in this country. I also never tried to make the point that he loathes Muslims. No, all he's doing is what his trademark has been since he's been the leader of the CPC. He's trying to divide to score some votes. Nothing more. He's trying to foment distrust between east and west, urban and rural (which is funny since his new Chief of Staff is a Toronto Elite :lol: ) and now between religions.

Furthermore, I find it funny that I never got an answer to a question I asked. If it was perfectly fine for him to speak at Foreign Affairs, why is it that it's just now that it's such a problem for him to speak to DND?

Why groups like the CIC suck eggs. Six parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQqjNkW21M

Ezra Levant shouldn't be listened to. People should just let him spew off every once in a while about some thing that has made him a victim in one sense or another just like every other conservative.

I watched a debate on Alberta TV between him and some guy who was advocating for green enegery. When the kid made a good point, rather than actually, you know, trying to debate the kid with reasoned response of his own, he just screamed at him, calling him a coward.

There was one unwelcomed comment for which the person resigned. Does that then stain the organization despite what the government and rival community organizations say? It was 6 years ago and the offending person is gone. The fact that they'd bring into disrepute a respected community organization to score a few cheap political points against terror and for Israel is insulting to the Islamic community in this country. I also never tried to make the point that he loathes Muslims. No, all he's doing is what his trademark has been since he's been the leader of the CPC. He's trying to divide to score some votes. Nothing more. He's trying to foment distrust between east and west, urban and rural (which is funny since his new Chief of Staff is a Toronto Elite :lol: ) and now between religions.

Furthermore, I find it funny that I never got an answer to a question I asked. If it was perfectly fine for him to speak at Foreign Affairs, why is it that it's just now that it's such a problem for him to speak to DND?

I never answered the question about DFAIT because I was not responding to that post. But I will now. DFAIT is run by Lawrence Cannon and DND by MacKay. Obviously, DFAIT and DND handled the matter differently. That says to me that the hand of Harper was not involved in either occurrence otherwise the decision on whether to allow CIC to speak to departmental staff would have been uniform. So your point of Harper's divisiveness as it relates to the matter you raised in your OP misses the mark. But you got your digs in against Harper so you met your objective.

Anyway, as I said in another thread, I object to the government bureaucracy organizing events of this nature for their personnel.

What I would like to know is why DND bureaucrats invited the CIC in the first place and why DND bureaucrats got involved in such commemorations/ceremonies? I would also object if the folks at DND planned events about Black History Month, Francophone History Month or Holloween. They're federal bureaucrats and they should stick to fulfilling DND's mandate, not dabble in social activism that has nothing to do with their desk jobs. That's not what we pay them for. We have enough advocates and activists outside the public service ready and willing to get involved with such celebrations. Let them plan and organize these things, and keep the federal public service out of it.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=17185&pid=585691&st=0entry585691

Ezra Levant shouldn't be listened to. People should just let him spew off every once in a while about some thing that has made him a victim in one sense or another just like every other conservative.

I watched a debate on Alberta TV between him and some guy who was advocating for green enegery. When the kid made a good point, rather than actually, you know, trying to debate the kid with reasoned response of his own, he just screamed at him, calling him a coward.

The reason the CIC and similar Islamic promotion groups suck eggs has nothing to do with Levant's opinions but rather what happens to your sorry ass if you piss off the Religion of Peace™ in Canada for whatever reason...$100,000 buckaroos lighter in Levant's particular case. Chump change to you...I know.

But thanks for your opinion...

You mean slap in the disgusting face, no?

Surely beats beheading.

Or even signs "Islam Will Dominate the World".

Edited by Saipan

You mean slap in the disgusting face, no?

Surely beats beheading.

Or even signs "Islam Will Dominate the World".

Subsitute "Islam" with "Moonie" or "Smoker" or "Child Molester" and folks would feel free to call a spade a spade...but since a billion people belong to this particular Medieval cult I'm supposed to show it some degree of respect as it seeks to change my way-of-life.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Subsitute "Islam" with "Moonie" or "Smoker" or "Child Molester" and folks would feel free to call a spade a spade...but since a billion people belong to this particular Medieval cult I'm supposed to show it some degree of respect as it seeks to change my way-of-life.

There is nothing more medieval and cultist than Christianity. So perhaps while you are slagging one religion you might just as well slag all of them.

BTW there were more people put to death under Christianity through the ages than any other religion in the history of the world. Hell, the whole movement started with a murder.

There is nothing more medieval and cultist than Christianity. So perhaps while you are slagging one religion you might just as well slag all of them.

BTW there were more people put to death under Christianity through the ages than any other religion in the history of the world. Hell, the whole movement started with a murder.

Nice try...I'm an atheist. Your "god" also sucks eggs...that's the nice term I use on this forum.

To be fair, DoP has pretty clearly slagged Christianity as well.

Edited by bloodyminded

Funny you favour slagging the Muslims more than the Christians. Does that mean you are biased towards a religion you are more familiar with?

It was the Provo-IRA that tried to kill me. Shall we discuss how much I dislike the bloodthirsty Catholics behind that event?

Funny you favour slagging the Muslims more than the Christians. Does that mean you are biased towards a religion you are more familiar with?
To treat Islam and Christianity on an equal footing is to apply Enlightenment principles without enlightenment.

Islam and Christianity are obviously different, moreso in their modern versions.

I haven't studied this, but a poster on another board I visit has who seems to spend a lot of time on the subject has categorically stated that as much as a whole herd of Muslims in "the west" claim Islam is a religion of peace, only one, an Imam in Detroit has actually condemned the violent radicals. Comments?

Interesting opinion.

Actually FAR more people were killed under Marxist religion - in OUR time, not medieval times. Even more than Hitler did.

What other religion, except Islam, is shooting women in football field for alleged infidelity, for the entertainment value??

To treat Islam and Christianity on an equal footing is to apply Enlightenment principles without enlightenment.

Islam and Christianity are obviously different, moreso in their modern versions.

Not to a true atheist they aren't. I mean showing favourtism is a strong indication that DoP might believe in ~something~ of one religion over the other. Otherwise there is no distinction in disdain.