Americans know little about their own religions.

GostHacked

Statistically speaking, this is incorrect. Studies have shown atheism/agnosticism to be correlated with intelligence (IQ) among Americans, as compared to the majority Christian population.

Here's a table:

• Denomination Representative...Number...IQ......SD
  • Episcopal/Anglican.......... 180,714 113.43 11.68
  • Jewish...................... 206,453 112.43 13.14
  • Atheist..................... 117,681 111.08 12.78
  • Agnostic.................... 303,645 109.13 14.21
  • Methodist................... 698,178 108.33 13.41
  • Presbyterian................ 238,987 107.74 13.55
  • Lutheran.................... 955,037 107.51 12.01
  • Protestant (Other).......... 588,766 107.42 13.38
  • Disciples of Christ......... 228,558 106.90 12.99
  • Roman Catholic.............. 2.868M 106.66 12.98
  • Other....................... 290,001 106.43 13.65
  • Mormon...................... 194,657 106.16 12.87
  • Un. Church of Christ........ 168,237 106.14 12.47
  • Bible Church................ 804,237 106.09 14.21
  • Muslem...................... 58,658 104.87 9.94
  • Personal Philosophy......... 1.034M 103.98 14.54
  • Holiness.................... 125,422 103.56 12.88
  • Baptist..................... 1.598M 102.13 13.78
  • Pentecostal................. 292,747 101.89 13.05
  • Total....................... 10.953M 106.09 13.57

Interestingly, Anglicans and Jews score even higher than Atheists and Agnostics. Given the large sample sizes, I would not discount these results.

Interesting. I understand why Atheists score well but I don't understand why Jewish and Anglican Americans do. I wonder if the IQ scores would change much for Anglicans in England and Jews in Israel.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that was the point of the article. It simply showing that atheists know more about the religions people follow than those actually following the religions. There are dumb atheists as there are smart ones.

Certainly I agree.

They are not designed to be cherished or holy.

Religions? Aren't?

I will say I am agnostic, and I do know little about religion ....My results are .... dammit the page is FAILING !!! :D

:) I'm no religion scholar myself.

Statistically speaking, this is incorrect. Studies have shown atheism/agnosticism to be correlated with intelligence (IQ) among Americans, as compared to the majority Christian population.

Here's a table:

• Methodist................... 698,178 108.33 13.41
  • Presbyterian................ 238,987 107.74 13.55
  • Lutheran.................... 955,037 107.51 12.01
  • Protestant (Other).......... 588,766 107.42 13.38
  • Disciples of Christ......... 228,558 106.90 12.99
  • Roman Catholic.............. 2.868M 106.66 12.98
  • Other....................... 290,001 106.43 13.65
  • Mormon...................... 194,657 106.16 12.87
  • Un. Church of Christ........ 168,237 106.14 12.47
  • Bible Church................ 804,237 106.09 14.21
  • Muslem...................... 58,658 104.87 9.94
  • Personal Philosophy......... 1.034M 103.98 14.54
  • Holiness.................... 125,422 103.56 12.88
  • Baptist..................... 1.598M 102.13 13.78
  • Pentecostal................. 292,747 101.89 13.05
  • Total....................... 10.953M 106.09 13.57

Interestingly, Anglicans and Jews score even higher than Atheists and Agnostics. Given the large sample sizes, I would not discount these results.

I'm Presbyterian but my grandmother,and my cousins,was/are Jewish...

Me score high on IQ test... :)

Man...Those Baptists and Penticostals are dumb!!!

Edited by Jack Weber

all atheists at one time had a horse in the race, I was brought up in christian doctrine...

I was raised atheist.

Got 87% on the quiz.

But I have taken comparative religious courses in University, have read most of the Bible (as literature - and it's bloody awful literature at that), and have a University degree with majors in history and philosophy so that likely explains that.

Here's a table:

It's been a while since I have taken Stats 101 but I suspect that the difference between Anglicans/Jews/Atheists/Agnostics is "not statistically significant" as "they" say.

I was raised atheist.

Got 87% on the quiz.

But I have taken comparative religious courses in University, have read most of the Bible (as literature - and it's bloody awful literature at that), and have a University degree with majors in history and philosophy so that likely explains that.

87% for me too...

I'm taking the quiz...

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php

sample questions

According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not?

What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves?

Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

I think I got 11 out of 15...but it is mistakem

When asked...

1. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt?

•Job •Elijah •Moses •Abraham

I picked moses...they said I was wrong

I picked Moses...they said I was right.

all atheists at one time had a horse in the race, I was brought up in christian doctrine...

through education and an inquisitive mind atheists have grown in numbers...does that make them smarter? no...but being smart is not the same as being educated...

educating the general public to think for themselves and ask questions will be the end of religion...

So basically, you're saying a person is better off being educated than being smart. I know many "educated" people with a bachelor of arts degree. They are some of the most uninformed people I know.

You said farmers are uneducated and unsophisticated. Is the person who repaired the stone chip on my windshield last week worthy of being labeled as educated? or is he just unsophisticated? Please tell.

Thanks for the link, Dancer. I got 100%, 15/15 (but I must confess there were some lucky guesses in there). But I put Moses, and got it right....

Edited to add: atheist now, but was a committed Seventh Day Adventist at one time.

Edited by Melanie_

I'm Presbyterian but my grandmother,and my cousins,was/are Jewish...

Me score high on IQ test... :)

Man...Those Baptists and Penticostals are dumb!!!

I don't if this still holds true but back in my Uni days IQ tests were always questionable as to accuracy...the results can differ depending on the questions asked vs the cultural segment you ask...possibly the baptist and penticostal segments don't put a high priority on education which depending on the questions asked could lower their score...generally all segments of society should have the same potential ...

Thanks for the link, Dancer. I got 100%, 15/15 (but I must confess there were some lucky guesses in there). But I put Moses, and got it right....

Edited to add: atheist now, but was a committed Seventh Day Adventist at one time.

could you see yourself marrying a Seventh day Adventist?...I had a niece who did, I didn't think it could last with her being an atheist, and it didn't...it seems to me there would be too many insurmountable differences that don't come up when the relationship is still in the pure romance stage...

could you see yourself marrying a Seventh day Adventist?...I had a niece who did, I didn't think it could last with her being an atheist, and it didn't...it seems to me there would be too many insurmountable differences that don't come up when the relationship is still in the pure romance stage...

I think atheists can be married to people who follow a religion, as long as everyone is willing to respect each others' views. I was an atheist when I got married, but I told my Catholic husband he was welcome to dress the kids up and take them off to Mass every Sunday morning. He never did ( :angry: ), and over the years he's pretty much adopted an atheist perspective himself, but I don't think we ever really had an issue with respecting each others' beliefs.

I think atheists can be married to people who follow a religion, as long as everyone is willing to respect each others' views. I was an atheist when I got married, but I told my Catholic husband he was welcome to dress the kids up and take them off to Mass every Sunday morning. He never did ( :angry: ), and over the years he's pretty much adopted an atheist perspective himself, but I don't think we ever really had an issue with respecting each others' beliefs.

glad it worked out for you, obviously your husband wasn't a hard-line catholic...I know of some cases where the spouse had to convert to catholic before there could be a marriage...and sometimes things go great until there are kids and one parent suddenly has a need to raise the children in his/her faith which may not go over well with the other half...

I was in error about my nieces husband he wasn't SDA, he was a Jehovah Witness...

Well I got 15 out of 15. I answered "Moses" on the Exodus question.

It is an interesting article.

Btw, did they say what age groups were surveyed?

As for the result of the survey....how many Americans can answer "basic" questions about USA? Or Canadians about Canada?

Some people, especially those who are "seeking for the true religion" will tend to question and read more.

Furthermore, it seems that to many people who believe in God or in a god, just their personal belief in God or in a god suffice. I"ve heard of this said a lot of times: "Whatever belief, it's all one and the same God."

I agree with you about the huge difference that would make it impossible for the relationship to last.

Mind you, I'm thinking about union between a religious person who really takes the teachings of his/her religion seriously and an Atheist.

Also the same in the union of two religious individuals from two vastly different religions.

Edited by betsy

I agree with you about the huge difference that would make it impossible for the relationship to last. Mind you, I'm thinking about union between a religious person who really takes the teachings of his/her religion seriously and an Atheist.

I would think there are many religions that have enough differences that would make a relationship impossible as well...it all depends on the individuals involved and how hardcore they are about their beliefs and if there is room for compromise...I know of couples where one partner insisted on the other dropping their own religion or there could be no marriage, compromise was impossible...to demand a Christian become a Jew or vice versa is asking for a lot...

I would think there are many religions that have enough differences that would make a relationship impossible as well...it all depends on the individuals involved and how hardcore they are about their beliefs and if there is room for compromise...I know of couples where one partner insisted on the other dropping their own religion or there could be no marriage, compromise was impossible...to demand a Christian become a Jew or vice versa is asking for a lot...

Yes. I edited my post above and added those of two different religion. If we were talking of this several years ago....I would probably say I can compromise with someone who don't believe in the same God and doctrine that I do....or even with an Agnostic or Atheist. I would've adapted a "to-each-his- own" attitude in the marriage.

But now, I cannot compromise at all. In fact, religious belief will be my top priority - the deciding factor - whether there would even be a second date at all. :D

It's practicality...relationships even with two compatible individuals needs constant working in order to survive, so why make it any tougher?

Edited by betsy

Yes. I edited my post above and added those of two different religion. If we were talking of this several years ago....I would probably say I can compromise with someone who don't believe in the same God and doctrine that I do....or even with an Agnostic or Atheist. I would've adapted a "to-each-his- own" attitude in the marriage.

But now, I cannot compromise at all. In fact, religious belief will be my top priority - the deciding factor - whether there would even be a second date at all. :D

It's practicality...relationships even with two compatible individuals needs constant working in order to survive, so why make it any tougher?

and I agree, which is why I tell my kids..."try stay near to the values you hold when looking for a partner, those seemingly small differences when dating can become problematic after marriage and kids"...

who would've thought you and I would agree on something :)

Edited by wyly