Islamic Demands for "Sensitivity" Over Cartoons Ring Hollow;

jbg

Sharia anyone? Seems some want their own laws...no doubt only 0.1%

They can want that, but they shouldnt get it unless its done in a way thats legal in Canada. For example... they could use sharia law for many civil cases if they want.

Edited by dre

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can want that, but they shouldnt get it unless its done in a way thats legal in Canada. For example... they could use sharia law for many civil cases if they want.

Who decides? Men?

:lol:

Don't worry...when Islam takes over, you can rat on the likes of myself and make sure I get the punishment I deserve. You'll be good at it...

;)

Well matrimonial law is civil. Should they be able to deprive wives and daughters of their rights as Canadians?

My thoughts exactly.

No... They would have the same rights as Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens however have the right to have a dispute arbitrated by any third party that they choose. For example... if you and I have a dispute over some money, or a piece of land, and we agree that we want a homeless bum on the street to decide the outcome then we can sign a contract that submits us to that bums judgement... as long as it the process doesnt result in anyone doing anything thats illegal.

In other words... any matter that a party can handle by voluntarily submitting to binding arbitration could also be handled by a religious body, or whatever else anybody chooses... even your Uncle Pete!

Well matrimonial law is civil. Should they be able to deprive wives and daughters of their rights as Canadians?

Only in cases where those rights can be waived voluntarily.

I shouldnt be having to tell a laywer this stuff JBQ! I think you probably know MORE than I do, about what kinds of things can be settled through a private arbitrar.

Edited by dre

Don't worry...when Islam takes over, you can rat on the likes of myself and make sure I get the punishment I deserve. You'll be good at it...

;)

Fer cryin' out loud, can we at least attempt to keep this civil and intelligent? Spouting stuff like this does NOT help your case, and the discussion is worse off for it. Just reduces the dialogue to the same level of banality you get from the talking head 'pundits' you see in the extremes of the media.

Ugh. Just had to let that out.

Any, back on topic, (sorta) the Economist had a brief article about reconciling Sharia law (which is a pretty blanket term) with traditional western laws. Anyone else see it?

No... They would have the same rights as Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens however have the right to have a dispute arbitrated by any third party that they choose. For example... if you and I have a dispute over some money, or a piece of land, and we agree that we want a homeless bum on the street to decide the outcome then we can sign a contract that submits us to that bums judgement... as long as it the process doesnt result in anyone doing anything thats illegal.

In other words... any matter that a party can handle by voluntarily submitting to binding arbitration could also be handled by a religious body, or whatever else anybody chooses... even your Uncle Pete!

No worries...you've made it clear you're OK with Sharia Law in Canada. C'est la vie and all that rot. No doubt it will happen, too, as more and more folks arrive in Canada from the Middle East, etc. Try and stop it.

No worries...you've made it clear you're OK with Sharia Law in Canada. C'est la vie and all that rot. No doubt it will happen, too, as more and more folks arrive in Canada from the Middle East, etc. Try and stop it.

Gotcha... so in other words youre going to completely ignore what I said, invent a strawman of my position, then have a conversation with an imaginary caraciture of me that only exists in your own head. :D Huge suprise!

Only in cases where those rights can be waived voluntarily.

I shouldnt be having to tell a laywer this stuff JBQ (presumably JBG)! I think you probably know MORE than I do, about what kinds of things can be settled through a private arbitrar.

The problem is that a wife can be pressured into such a "voluntary" agreement before or during the marriage. The acceptance of such "arbitration" in the context of an intimate, close-quarter relationship can easily be coerced by threats of violence, abuse, or abandonment.

In other words "voluntary" can be quite "involuntary".

Gotcha... so in other words youre going to completely ignore what I said, invent a strawman of my position, then have a conversation with an imaginary caraciture of me that only exists in your own head. :D Huge suprise!

You even stated it: For example... they could use sharia law for many civil cases if they want.

...meaning you're OK with it.

You're not the Mod.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I'd like to think that it's at least possible to have an intelligent or at least reasonable debate on here, without the zero-effort thoughtless accusations and pigeon-holing that seems to arise any time there's a dispute.

Maybe I'm naive to think it can happen differently, but hey, you never know.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I'd like to think that it's at least possible to have an intelligent or at least reasonable debate on here, without the zero-effort thoughtless accusations and pigeon-holing that seems to arise any time there's a dispute.

Maybe I'm naive to think it can happen differently, but hey, you never know.

You can probably have a good debate on here, but it depends on who you're talking to. Just remember to be patient, keep tryng, and most of all, wear boots...

No they can't. When there was talk of the Muslims bringing in a Sharia court here in Ontario, the government said NOPE, and end up axing the Jewish family courts as well. Not sure it this was carries across all provinces.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/09/09/sharia-protests-20050909.html

The Jewish and Catholic religious courts end up getting axed to be fair to all. Which to me is the correct move. We have one judicial system in Canada.

But it's kind of funny that Catholic, Jews and Christians had their own religious courts so they can be true to the faith, but yet deny the Muslims essentially the same 'right' when Sharia Law was making headway. And now they all lost them, which is the correct thing to do.

No they can't. When there was talk of the Muslims bringing in a Sharia court here in Ontario, the government said NOPE, and end up axing the Jewish family courts as well. Not sure it this was carries across all provinces.

I believe just Ontario and Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/09/09/sharia-protests-20050909.html

The Jewish and Catholic religious courts end up getting axed to be fair to all. Which to me is the correct move. We have one judicial system in Canada.

But it's kind of funny that Catholic, Jews and Christians had their own religious courts so they can be true to the faith, but yet deny the Muslims essentially the same 'right' when Sharia Law was making headway. And now they all lost them, which is the correct thing to do.

No they can't. When there was talk of the Muslims bringing in a Sharia court here in Ontario, the government said NOPE, and end up axing the Jewish family courts as well.

Thats probably because certain implications of family court conflict with other statutes. Never the less what I said is completely true... many civil cases could be decided by an Islamic religious authority. Any cases where the parties can legally enter into binding arbitration, can be decided by whoever those parties choose.

If they wanted to... they could get a goat, and decide the outcome of the dispute by which direction it runs when you kick it in the ass.

Basically the same kind of cases you see decided on Judge Judy. :lol: Those are cases where the participants can submitt themselves to a private arbitrar without violating other statutes... you obviously dont see child custody cases on there or anything, but theres lot of other civil cases that quality... minor property damage, unsettled debts, some contract disputes etc etc, and lots of other things.

Edited by dre

If they wanted to... they could get a goat, and decide the outcome of the dispute by which direction it runs when you kick it in the ass.

I can't wait...maybe the 4H with get involved.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/10/17/15723771.html

"People were vying with each other to get their goats sacrificed first, and they had a verbal duel with the butcher," Banka district spokesman Gupdeshwar Kumar told the paper.

When fights started to break out in front of the butcher's block, a stampede ensued and four women and six men were trampled to death with another 11 injured.

About 30,000 goats were sacrificed at the temple the day before.

The Navratri festival celebrates the Mother Goddess in the Hindu religion.