Republican wants the US to be more like Saudi Arabia

No, it wasn't peripherally directed at me...it was pointedly directed at me.

And yes, I have so far seen exactly one perfectly opposite side to my view on this thread: the poster who says "Islam sucks" and who defends and supports terrorism.

I doubt you're in line with that perspective.

Meh...I don't run around telling Muslims they suck. But I'm quite happy saying Islam and all other religions suck because they do. That you like religion and all the BS it stands for is your business. Just don't expect everybody to share your fairy-tale viewpoint.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metaphorically that translation is very apt. In fact, our treatment of the natives was so profoundly bad that many of us have yet to forgive them for it.

Sure, but that wasn't the point you were trying to make. You were trying to suggest that the name "Cordoba" is no more significant than "Alberta" or "Georgia" or whatever.

"Alberta" and "Georgia" are named after British royalty. "Cordoba House" was named after a city that happened to be the capital Muslims established in the portion of Europe they conquered. Whether they intended, it was an incredibly poor choice. Mind-bogglingly stupid, really.

You know, I really couldn't care less about whether they actually do build an Islamic center within shouting-distance of the former WTC site. I honestly have no objection at all. But some of the arguments being presented here are just inane. Whether it's trying to depict AW as a Sarah Palin, or trying to suggest that "Cordoba" is just some random name with no historical significance.

-k

At a time when the world is faced with ecological disaster, a new cold war is the last thing we need.

A new cold war? What cold war? Against who? A cold war is what you have against a great power who you do not want to go into direct war with because it would pose a threat of annihilation for both sides. There are no Muslim nations that we need to have a cold war with. If we (the West/NATO or even just the US) wanted to destroy the Muslim world through military force we could do so, in a quite a brief and "hot" war.

We do not do this and do not want to do this because so far no sufficient threat has been posed for us to take such drastic action.

Sure, but that wasn't the point you were trying to make. You were trying to suggest that the name "Cordoba" is no more significant than "Alberta" or "Georgia" or whatever.

That's correct.

After a few centuries have passed, are you trying to say that Muslims are being "insensitive" to Christians for wounds committed so long ago?

Because no Christians are sensitive to such a thing. People bring it up as further excuse to demonize Muslims. That's it. The idea that the namne is "insensitive" is a preposterous pretence.

"Alberta" and "Georgia" are named after British royalty. "Cordoba House" was named after a city that happened to be the capital Muslims established in the portion of Europe they conquered. Whether they intended, it was an incredibly poor choice. Mind-bogglingly stupid, really.

??? What's the difference? You say that "Cordoba" was named after a Muslim-conquered city; and that "Alberta" and "Georgia" are "named after British royalty"....full stop. So there's no context to this.

They are named aftwer British royalty precisely and only because of conquest.

There is zero distinction (except that the European conquest of the Americas was far more devastating and cruel than was the Muslim conquest in question).

Unless, of course, you consider the conquest of European Christians to be much more serious and important than the conquest of some mere native peoples.

You know, I really couldn't care less about whether they actually do build an Islamic center within shouting-distance of the former WTC site. I honestly have no objection at all. But some of the arguments being presented here are just inane. Whether it's trying to depict AW as a Sarah Palin, or trying to suggest that "Cordoba" is just some random name with no historical significance.

Somewhat less historical significance than the naming of states and provinces after the royalty directly involved in genocide and centuries of mistreatment and oppression.

If such old names matter, then they matter all around.

Personally, I don't give a damn about the names...but then, I don't tremble in fear at the looming crescent shadow of the imminent Caliphate, either. Leave that to moral relativists like Mark Steyn (and his ideolgical colleagues here on this board).

You're kidding: we've already objectively established that I oppose all acts of terrorism...and that you do not oppose them. You only oppose some of them.

I support me and my interests. Oddly enough, they don't include you or your terrorist chums.

C'mon...do their beards tickle?

I don't know, but your fascination itself seems vaguely interesting. Telling, perhaps.

At any rate, I think you've forgotten that we hads a discussion in which you defended Western intentional, material aid for massive Indonesian state terrorism...on the grounds of "the Cold War" (as if summoning the term constitutes evidence).

So, unless you have changed your mind--and now freely admit that the West has been complicit in worse terrorism than anything Hamas or Hizbollah have ever managed--then you are, objectively and by definition, a terrorist supporter.

If you disagree, by all means, explain.

As opposed to your "support the terrorists" tantrums.

This has been your schtick all along; I only like to point out that I have always opposed it...and you have defended it.

"Terrorism" does not mean "Hamas."

"Terrorism" means "terrorism"...it doesn't matter who carries it out.

I guess talk radio and Youtube never got that far in their lessons to you.

Edited by bloodyminded